Squat frequency

Options

Replies

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    @Pelamblue I don't do a 1RM test usually more than every 3 months, but I've only been lifting since last July, so I've done it twice. I went from never lifting before in my life to 360# squat in the first three months, and then up to the 405# squat in the next three. I'm currently cutting and am down 20 lbs since January, so I'm not currently adding much if any to my numbers. Come June, I'll start upping the calories and get my lifts back up again. What's your 1 day a week squat routine look like then? What % of your max are you doing?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    I'm sorry guys but you sound like classic overtrainers. I agree to a certain extent with @cajuntank, ie going lighter to aid recovery, however 3x5 3 days a week???. No way, there is no way after a proper and quality squat session you could repeat that up to four times a week, if you can..ask yourself how! The simple science is you need quality rest time in order for protein synthesis to take place effectively, if you don't your training will be a waste of time as the body will not have time to recover properly. I have trained with body builders to army PTI'S and have never gone more than once a week...... Unless you break the leg down..hamstrings and quads on one day then say calves a couple of days later.

DYEL?

do you?? Please feel free to add something to the the debate?

If I read mcloud's comment correctly, he squats 65-70% of his 1RM 3x5, 3x/week. I would be hard pressed to call that overtraining.

How often do you do a 1rm workout?? Every 6 weeks or so, as a bench mark??
    I'm sorry guys but you sound like classic overtrainers. I agree to a certain extent with @cajuntank, ie going lighter to aid recovery, however 3x5 3 days a week???. No way, there is no way after a proper and quality squat session you could repeat that up to four times a week, if you can..ask yourself how! The simple science is you need quality rest time in order for protein synthesis to take place effectively, if you don't your training will be a waste of time as the body will not have time to recover properly. I have trained with body builders to army PTI'S and have never gone more than once a week...... Unless you break the leg down..hamstrings and quads on one day then say calves a couple of days later.

DYEL?

If I read mcloud's comment correctly, he squats 65-70% of his 1RM 3x5, 3x/week. I would be hard pressed to call that overtraining.

If so, that's about 45 reps total as a 65%-70% and not all that much (especially broken out over multiple sessions per week).

Much different than if one were to try a 5x5 at 85% multiple sessions per week.

How often do you train 1rm??? Once every 6 weeks??, as a bench mark.
    My 1rm is around 485, if I were doing 5x5 I would be training at around 450-430 mark. Come back and tell me you can do that 3 times a week. And to echo lolbroscience...That aint that much. He should be in the 14-16 rep range at those sorst of percentages

Once every 6-8 weeks for 1RM testing.

I don't follow the second statement.... most 5x5 training would be done in the 70-80% range for one, so at 75% you'd be looking at 5x5x365.

To the last statement, there isn't really a "should be". You're after accumulating total volume, and hitting those numbers at a higher frequency is certainly sufficient.

Edit - Chart not needed.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

DYEL?

DYEL?

If so, that's about 45 reps total as a 65%-70% and not all that much (especially broken out over multiple sessions per week).

My 1rm is around 485, if I were doing 5x5 I would be training at around 450-430 mark. Come back and tell me you can do that 3 times a week. And to echo lolbroscience...That aint that much. He should be in the 14-16 rep range at those sorst of percentages

Again, no one is suggesting to train 5x5, 3 days a week at 90% of your max.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »

DYEL?

I think I'd be hard pressed to do 1x5 at 85%. I know theoretically I should be able to based on the formulas, but at least for me 5 reps at 75% is about as many as I can do.

I know, I was using the 5x5 @ 85% as an example of how to drive yourself into the ground and fail.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

DYEL?

DYEL?

Once every 6-8 weeks for 1RM testing.

I don't follow the second statement.... most 5x5 training would be done in the 70-80% range for one, so at 75% you'd be looking at 5x5x365.

To the last statement, there isn't really a "should be". You're after accumulating total volume, and hitting those numbers at a higher frequency is certainly sufficient.

Edit - Chart not needed.

So much this.

No one can really prescribe how much of your RM you can do for how many reps. These formulas and estimates are that - for a mean population.

We all have different bases of muscular endurance, different ratios of fibre types, different recovery potential, etc, etc.

And of course, all of these things change and adapt as we change and adapt.

So "Should" is not really helpful here. You do what you can do and you try to improve on that without hurting yourself or digging yourself into a hole. Everything else is noise on the internet...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think it's going to depend a lot on your program, what you're trying to accomplish, and other training/fitness goals.

I lift 3x weekly and my primary lifts are the Olympic lifts. I only squat (variations) once or twice per week depending on the week for assistance work. I also ride a lot...so given my volume of miles, squatting heavy with frequency isn't something I do.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    paulbsr wrote: »
    (W:122kg/270lb. H:6'. A:42. S:M. BMI:37.5)

Hi,

In context of muscle recovery, is it DETRIMENTAL to squat 4 days a week?

I exercise 4 days a week for 2.5 hours per session. Cardio / Resistance hybrid. Rest days are Wed, Sat, Sun. I'm thinking of increasing my Squat routine (4 x 12) from two to four of those days. The intention being that the three Rest Days are sufficient for micro damage recovery?

Opinion?

When you're talking about that kind of frequency you have to look at your other training variables, which would be intensity / load, reps, sets, rest as well as your training as a whole; in other words what else are you specifically doing and what do those variables look like? Just saying "I'm going to squat 4x12 four times a week & 2.5 hours of cardio and weights" is not sufficient to really understand how to setup a program.

Based on your post I'm thinking that you're probably new enough to where you don't understand how to construct your own training plan. It's not a negative criticism, not everybody knows everything, right? :) I honestly think the best thing for you would be to get on a structured program so you're not wasting your time in the gym and following a structured plan for a good year or so will help you learn. There are many out there, some mentioned above, and some have you squatting 2+ days a week. The other thing that I should've mentioned above is that you need to understand your training goals, specifically; what are your physical goals other than weight management? Once you understand that, it will help dictate the frequency in-which you want to do any particular exercise.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm with the "ok to squat more than once a week" crowd. Varying volume and intensity easily allows for it. Leg workouts that absolutely trash your legs every time are very unnecessary.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

DYEL?

DYEL?

Do you even periodisation?

And in4vids of 5 reps at 93%.

OP: What are your primary goals?

Studies have shown that multiple sessions per week with volume equated showed greater hypertrophy (and strength increases) than less frequency. Keeping check of total weekly volume is key.

e.g. if you are currently doing 5x5 say one day, it would not be a good idea to do the same weight for 4 days a week. I believe that multiple rep ranges are a good idea for the majority of people. So you may do your 5x5 one day and then add a second day with 3 sets of 12. Keep check of recovery and after a few weeks add a third day with 4 sets of 8 for example.

A top strength coach in Australia says it well. If you want to get good at something, would be better off doing it once a week or practice multiple times? I think the answer is fairly obvious. Find a world class squatter who does it once a week? If there is any, they are a definite minority.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    All you need to start talking is Russian high volume and you immediately realize it's possible to squat multiple sessions a week.

I did the 20 rep squat breathing program- which is 3x a week.
    I know smolov is ALL squat ALL the time.

And I am on Sheiko and I squat Monday and Friday- and on the traditional programs you pretty much do Squat Bench Squat Bench on monday adn then Bench Squat Bench Squat - or some variation on Friday.

So it's only 2x a week- but doubling up on bench and squat is- needless to say brutal- but more than effective.

It's more than possible. You just have to either really know what you are doing- or be on a program that's proven and something you can trust.

At this point I've been squatting so much a week- I would feel weird/uncomfortable only squatting 1x a week.
  • luis702702
    luis702702 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have squatted every single day, going super heavy for over a month got stronger.. since your body knows your gonna squat it tightens up everything :) .. I did Romanian style everyday squat... I squatted everyday on progressive overload ... did 5x5 stronglifts, Madcows, Smolov , Muscle Explossion, and my favorite the Texas Method ... went from 225 x 3 to 420 lbs x 1 in about 2 months :) ......now I cut back on heavies and I am doing 315 x 10 x 5 sets twice a week ... one more month like this and I am gonna start my own program B) gonna try to hit 495 x 1 at 175 body weight ........... or 405 x 8 ....The only advise I think is the best if FORM !!! if you don't practice form don't even squat you'll just end up injuring yourself :( PRactice practice practice injury is the last thing you want ... good luck .... squat away :wink:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    ^^^ well said

After reading the Bulgarian weight lifting book by Greg Nuckols yesterday, the idea that squatting more than once a week is bad is laughable.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Man. Now you guys have me thinking I should be squatting more than once a week...Just when I thought I got things kind of figured out.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Man. Now you guys have me thinking I should be squatting more than once a week...Just when I thought I got things kind of figured out.

If you have the time in the week and you are eating enough to recover, I would recommend it.

If you are on 5/3/1 doing a second day with something like 70% of your max for 3-5 sets of 8-12 would be a good start. More practice, more volume, more frequency to stimulate muscle growth. :smile:
  • arditarose
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »

If you have the time in the week and you are eating enough to recover, I would recommend it.

If you are on 5/3/1 doing a second day with something like 70% of your max for 3-5 sets of 8-12 would be a good start. More practice, more volume, more frequency to stimulate muscle growth. :smile:

I am doing 5/3/1. Should I do the second day on deadlift day?
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Take a look at the 5/3/1 BBB 3 month challenge
  • arditarose
    Options

Take a look at the 5/3/1 BBB 3 month challenge

Thanks, will do. I have been seeing the guys talk about it on the FB page.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My routine had me squatting 3 times a week. It was too much for my beat up knees, twice a week now and I still do legs on the other day I was supposed to do squats. I with JoRocka on the squat days, Monday and Friday here.

• upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    If you are in tune enough with your body to autoregulate it, you can squat 5-6 times a week.

Matt Perryman's "Squat Everyday" and Pavel and Dan John's "Easy Strength" are two examples.

For beginners 3x a week is pretty standard on most recommended programmes. Many intermediate routines have you squatting in some fashion 2x a week. Following a HLM approach like Madcow's can see an intermediate squat 3x a week.

The possibilities are endless and are informed by your current ability, volume, frequency, etc. For example, if you currently squat 1x per week and jumped on a 5x week programme, you'll die. If you add in days slowly and modulate intensity/volume, you'll adapt.

All of this.

It is certainly possible to squat 3, 4, 5+ times a week. However, you'll need to manipulate volume and intensity and make sure recovery is on point.

I currently Squat 4x a week.

Couldn't have said it any better. All about volume, intensity and recovery. A lot of my old strength coaches would say typically you need just 48 hours of recovery time before working the same body part again but everyone is different. One person's "overtraining" could be another persons warm up.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    @Pelamblue I don't do a 1RM test usually more than every 3 months, but I've only been lifting since last July, so I've done it twice. I went from never lifting before in my life to 360# squat in the first three months, and then up to the 405# squat in the next three. I'm currently cutting and am down 20 lbs since January, so I'm not currently adding much if any to my numbers. Come June, I'll start upping the calories and get my lifts back up again. What's your 1 day a week squat routine look like then? What % of your max are you doing?

Sorry it took so long to replay mate, my routine is as follows
    Monday ::: 4 warm up sets of squats ( increasing weigh each time). Then 4 working sets of 8-10 reps of around 70% of 1rm. Followed by the same with leg press, hack squats, leg curls, straight leg dumbell deadlift, Romanian split squats, reverse leg curls. The following week I will go to 12-14 rep range, and mix up the exercises, and lower the weight. I may do front squats for example, then the next week I will do triple drop sets of 30-40 reps. On a Thursday of each of these weeks I will do calves, therfore splitting the leg up. I find this programme works really well. I have quality sessions and good rest. At the end of each session I am on the floor.