Exercise to Build up Hips and Butt

Options
hey everyone,

I'm 30 woman, CW is 138, GW is possibly around 120 (we will see) and I'm 5'4.

I'm built very Apple shaped and have narrow hips.
I know it's impossible to change my body frame, but is there anything I can do to build up my hips and butt? I do some squats, leg lifts, leg presses as of right now. Should I keep doing it?
My goal is to lose some belly fat, and gain some hips and butt ;)

Thanks in advanced

Replies

• Cassie_DE
    Cassie_DE Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to know!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Look into Strong Curves, by Brett Contreras. The book has a lot of info, background, exercises, and progressions on building glutes.
  • bettybing1
    bettybing1 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I play Roller Derby and I can say for certain that that builds thighs and butts up while strengthening your core. Outdoor skating is good for thighs and legs too. However, I know it's not most people's cup of tea, but if you're looking for something different it's worth a shot.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    rick_po wrote: »
    Look into Strong Curves, by Brett Contreras. The book has a lot of info, background, exercises, and progressions on building glutes.

^This
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Strong Curve is great. If you don't want to buy the book, at least look at his blog and add in hip thrusts. Weighted bridges and all manner of squat variations as well.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Strong Curve is great. If you don't want to buy the book, at least look at his blog and add in hip thrusts. Weighted bridges and all manner of squat variations as well.

And also RDLs (or ADLs.)
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    To build a booty you gotta squat and with weights. Another good one that targets glutes are goodmornings.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts, good mornings, and hip thrust are great for the buns and thighs. Most women leave them out because the look difficult, but youtube has some great tutorials for them. I have been doing them for about 2 months and have received great results.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    tzarba wrote: »
    To build a booty you gotta squat and with weights. Another good one that targets glutes are goodmornings.

This! Lots of squatting heavy will help. Air squats will work...after like 100 of them. I prefer weights :#

Walking lunges are also good. Carry a couple dumbbells or hold a plate overhead to make them harder. Wall-sits can be fun (start with 3-4 reps at 30 seconds then increase the time). Or just find a parking garage and take the stairs to the top two at a time....repeat for all four corners of the garage.

Running can also help with belly fat which sounds like the other half of your problem. I would run a few times a week with some faster runs/speedwork (google "fartlek") to build up some core strength and up your calorie burn. Sprinting is fantastic for building abs.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Running is great. Try HITT. It's supposed to be great for burning belly fat. Walk for one min, run for 2. I walk for one at 3.5mph, then run for 2. My first run at 6.5, then 6.6, 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, then 7. I cycle through it twice.
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts and squats.... GO GO GO!!!
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Squats -deadlift -hip trust with weights
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    vfit10 wrote: »
    Squats -deadlift -hip trust with weights

+1

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

True to an extent. It took me almost a year to learn how to activate my glutes while squatting even with perfect form.

OP I recommend you read strong lifts, or as someone else mentioned atleast read Bret's blog. You can do all of these exercises all day long but if you aren't activating the glute muscles you will accomplish nothing. Good luck to you.
  • meganmickmeow
    meganmickmeow Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Do any of these target the hips as well? Is there any way to build up the hip muscles?
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options

True to an extent. It took me almost a year to learn how to activate my glutes while squatting even with perfect form.

OP I recommend you read strong lifts, or as someone else mentioned atleast read Bret's blog. You can do all of these exercises all day long but if you aren't activating the glute muscles you will accomplish nothing. Good luck to you.

This, many people have "sleepy" glutes. Look up glute activation exercisese to help you relearn to use and what it feels like when you use these muscles.

When you say you want to build the hip muscles what do you mean by this? There aren't any large hip muscles that will add any roundness in this area.
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Squats - there's so many variations!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

This

I also found that walking or running hills does a lot of good for my butt.