Going away and worried ...

Options
I am starting the program ( again) and I have 2 weeks in. I am noticing some great changes but I am going away for a girls weekend. We will be travelling a far distance and spending 2 nights in a motel. We will be having a few drinks too. I'm looking forward to the weekend but extremely worried about the eating. Any suggestions ? Tips to consider ?

Replies

• honeybee_kisses
    honeybee_kisses Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Just try to be mindful in your food choices and to stop when you're full but to be honest I wouldn't worry too much. It's supposed to be fun so just enjoy your weekend and get straight back to counting the calories when you're home. Have a great time!
  • staceyannr
    staceyannr Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you honeybee.
  • Jaywalker_7
    Jaywalker_7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This is a very casual approach to things, but when I'm out and KNOW that I will be eating "off-track" I simply try to stick to protein and fiber foods. I try to pick filling foods so at least if I'm way over in calories, I'm not starving at the end of it all. Again, not a common/daily practice, but don't stress yourself out over this. Log the best you can and make the smartest choices you can while still enjoying yourself. Don't feel negatively about your choices. Ask yourself, do I really want this drink/dessert/greasy burger? If the answer is yes, I would go for it. If you could pass it up and be ok, do so. That's how I generally handle things and feel confident in my approach. If I feel deprived or like I can't enjoy life along the way, I will quit. I've accepted bumps along the way cuz now I'm in this for life. Hope you have a wonderful time! Wahoo to girls weekend!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Alternate drinks. So have a mixed drink (in diet soda), then just a diet soda. Drink water before/during so you stay hydrated. For food, aim for lean meats & veggies without heavy creams/sauces. Beyond that, you don't need to aim for some ideal of perfection, just make good decisions overall. And be active. If you're doing some sight seeing - walk as much as possible between destinations.
    staceyannr wrote: »
    I am starting the program ( again) and I have 2 weeks in. I am noticing some great changes but I am going away for a girls weekend. We will be travelling a far distance and spending 2 nights in a motel. We will be having a few drinks too. I'm looking forward to the weekend but extremely worried about the eating. Any suggestions ? Tips to consider ?

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If I know where I might be eating I check their website for nutritional information. That way you can "arm" yourself with some knowledge ahead of time. If I don't know or the information isn't available, I try to stick with salads, veggies, and lean meats. The whole point of a "girls weekend" is to have fun so don't sweat the small stuff! I liked the idea of alternating drinks. Another suggestion is to have wine spritzers, about half a glass of wine with the rest soda and a little lemon or lime. I tend to order water with my meals (mostly because drinks or so expensive) or order ice tea or coffee as they have 0 calories. Have fun and plan on getting back on track when you get back home.
  • my3boys424
    my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy myself and not worry too much about over eating, but I would still log every calorie.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just try to be mindful in your food choices and to stop when you're full but to be honest I wouldn't worry too much. It's supposed to be fun so just enjoy your weekend and get straight back to counting the calories when you're home. Have a great time!

I second this

• staceyannr
    Options
    Thank you everybody :)
  • staceyannr
    Options
    This is a very casual approach to things, but when I'm out and KNOW that I will be eating "off-track" I simply try to stick to protein and fiber foods. I try to pick filling foods so at least if I'm way over in calories, I'm not starving at the end of it all. Again, not a common/daily practice, but don't stress yourself out over this. Log the best you can and make the smartest choices you can while still enjoying yourself. Don't feel negatively about your choices. Ask yourself, do I really want this drink/dessert/greasy burger? If the answer is yes, I would go for it. If you could pass it up and be ok, do so. That's how I generally handle things and feel confident in my approach. If I feel deprived or like I can't enjoy life along the way, I will quit. I've accepted bumps along the way cuz now I'm in this for life. Hope you have a wonderful time! Wahoo to girls weekend!
    Thank you so much. Looking forward to the trip. :)
  • killencm
    killencm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    but do we weigh our food and such ...I'm going to my family's cabin...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Be conscientious and remember to use moderation. Most important, remember this is about living life, so have fun.
  • staceyannr
    Options
    killencm wrote: »
    but do we weigh our food and such ...I'm going to my family's cabin...

I ended up tracking everything I ate .... I was way over but got back on track when I got home