Weight lifting routine

What my current workouts are: 10 minute warm up. 40 minute lifting (back, arms or legs) then 10 minute cool down. I usually make it to the gym 3-5 times a week but feel like if I had a set weekly routine Id make it more consistently 5 times a week.

I guess my question is how many times a week/ often should I be training muscle groups?

Replies

• Sorry. I really can't answer your question, but I'm wondering why you don't get any calorie credit for lifting. I do 3 sets of 10 reps with medium weight and u get. I additional calories. Anyone know why? Thanks
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Pick up a specific programme if you want a set routine.

Stronglifts, Starting Strength, Strong Curves are good beginner, full body routines you do 3x a week.

Or if you're intermediate, there's wendlers 5/3/1, a 4 day programme (this is what I use) or Layne Norton's PHAT (5 days) and tonnes of free stuff on bb.com and nerdfitness etc. Obviously there's loads more, decide what your goals are and have a google.
  • psanta5
    psanta5 Posts: 2 Member
    One time a week is great for training each muscle and let it recover from the workout and you can do some cardio in between.
  • blair592
    blair592 Posts: 6
    Do different muscles on diff days. Examples are leg day, chest day etc. this gives your muscles time to rest and recover in between
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    It's all up to you. From what I've read, beginners benefit the most with a full body routine like Starting Strength or Stronglifts: Focusing on the big lifts like squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench, and rows or pull-ups for the back.

Personally I like 5/3/1 for the progression. It can be adjusted for any level, but is a four day per week program focusing on one of the big lifts per day. Back work is done as assistance on overhead press and bench days.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    How long have you been strength training and what are your goals?
  • nskinner139
    nskinner139 Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2015
    @dinosnopro‌ I've been on and off for probably about a year with strength training. I hate going in the area at the gym where all the weights are because that's the guys area...but my main goal is to tone up and get decent muscle definition
  • dinosnopro
    Look into strong lifts or starting strength. They are both good solid linear progression programs that have solid resulys .
  • dinosnopro
    Oh and you you should never hate going in the weight area. Most men actually like to see women in there.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    @dinosnopro‌ I've been on and off for probably about a year with strength training. I hate going in the area at the gym where all the weights are because that's the guys area...but my main goal is to tone up and get decent muscle definition

It's not the guys area! It's the free weights area. For all genders.
  • NarmaL
    NarmaL Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2015
    I'm not sure if there is really an exact regiment for training muscle groups. I can tell you want my needs are and what my experiences are.

I'm one of those skinny fat girls (I'm light yet flabby). Basically I want to tone and I don't want to look bulky. Basically I devloped my own gym routine after researching for quite a while and then applying my own science background to it, and it seems to be working for me.

I go back to back for two days to the gym, take a day off and then repeat. On both days, I do 15-20 min of cardio. I used to do 3.0 miles of running on treadmill but realized it wasn't doing anything to my body besides leaving me skinny fat. Now I use an elliptical (less strain on ankles and knees and more strength on butt muslcles). The first of the two days, I do muscle training for back, biceps, legs, butt.. On the second of the two days, I do chest, triceps, and shoulders. I do 12-16 repetitions and 3 sets for each machine corresponding to those muscles. Basically this way I have a two day recovery period, to let all those listed mucles recover and build (especially for the butt, you need to give time for the muscles to build itself. I'm genetically predisposed to having no behind, so I need this)

Alongside the gym routine, I do an abs routine almost daily. Frankly, this is a place where I do not want my muscles to grow huge and look too ripped. I also limit my protein intake to almost the exact amount I need (again I don't want bulk).

I am seeing great results with this method. Not sure if that helps, but this works for my body.

I should also add that I recently became vegan, and it helped me tremendously in achieving my goals. My consumption is limited to plant based protein which barely has any fats, helping my existing fat flab burn and my muscles to suface with definition. Unlike some vegans, I also eat a low carb diet and limit my foods to mostly raw veggies and fruits (and soy for proteins). I'm sure you're aware, but carbs essentially turn to fats when in access, so this prevents further fat (or flab) deposition. I'm not in anyway trying to promote my vegan lifestyle, because i used to get annoyed with those types of people, but just wanted to put out there, the diet helped me tremendouly.
  • nskinner139
    nskinner139 Posts: 8 Member
    It all helps. Thank you!!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    poppycock, it's the free weights area and it's for everyone.
  • Saraingreen
    Saraingreen Posts: 6 Member
    I agree with some others here, ditch the idea the free weights are only for the guys. I was afraid of it once upon a time too, but now it's the only place I play at the gym :). I just got a program and dove in. I started with Strong Curves, GREAT book if you're just starting lifting and it has advanced stuff too, I'm into the more intermediate/advanced stuff now and I highly recommend it. Seeing great results for muscle strength and definition.
  • cje151
    cje151 Posts: 40 Member
    That's awesome! Keep it up! Weights are definitely not just for guys.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    arditarose wrote: »

It's not the guys area! It's the free weights area. For all genders.

Agreed! The free weight area is my favorite part of my gym <3