Feeling like a failure :(

Options
I'm really disappointed in myself, I set myself a target of losing 20lbs before my holiday and lost only 5 which is completely my own fault with not sticking to my plan & thinking I will have a wee treat and a few glasses of wine at weekend plus not exercising enough....I feel like I've ruined my holiday before I've left! I'm very disappointed in myself BUT have set myself an April challenge to lose 15lbs which will get me a third of the way to my goal....onwards & upwards!

Replies

• erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Great job for recognizing what your difficulties have been so far and setting up a new plan for April! Recognition of what's wrong is half of the battle sometimes.

Try not to worry too much about your holiday: this is a new lifestyle you're embarking on, not just for a single trip! Whether you lose the weight or not, your holiday will still be great (it's a HOLIDAY afterall)! :) Keep it up!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Please don't let this ruin your holiday!! enjoy yourself and just keep moving forward, you got this! ;)
  • T_Ciku
    T_Ciku Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you're coming from. I've been on this rollercoaster ride for a while now. I'm coming back for my 3rd time now. :neutral_face: I hope everything goes well for the both of us!! At least we never stop trying.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Setting a time frame to lose weight is NEVER a good idea. Having a goal "thing" to motivate you, fine. But saying I want to lose 20 before a certain date is a recipe for failure.

Set your calories to lose 1lb/week, keep your calories under that cap, weigh/measure your food and learn to tell yourself no once in a while. If you are truthful to yourself and are consistent the weight will come off.
  • LoriAnn196214
    LoriAnn196214 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am eating healthy in fact, not as much as I should. I am exercising daily. I cannot understand why one day the scale says I lost weight and the next day I gained weight. When I started eating healthy and exercising I was at 170 lbs. so I have lost weight. My goal is to be at 130 lbs. before Nov. 11, 2017. I have to look perfect for my beautiful daughters wedding. Sorry I start everything early. I wonder if the fluctuation is because I am quitting smoking at the same time.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm really disappointed in myself, I set myself a target of losing 20lbs before my holiday and lost only 5 which is completely my own fault with not sticking to my plan & thinking I will have a wee treat and a few glasses of wine at weekend plus not exercising enough....I feel like I've ruined my holiday before I've left! I'm very disappointed in myself BUT have set myself an April challenge to lose 15lbs which will get me a third of the way to my goal....onwards & upwards!

You really arent seeing things in perspective.

1. You are not a failure, because youve lost rather than gained, its just a matter of time till you get to target weight.
    2. Beating yourself up is a waste of time and unhelpful. Just makes you feel miserable and thats not the best frame of mind to be doing anything.
    3.You already know partly why you didnt lose as mych as expected, vecause you were unable to manage your deficit properly.
    4. Your April challenge is setting yourself up for failure again as you fail to appreciate safe healthy weight loss is c 1-2lbs.

If you want to lose weight then do it properly, so you can lose it efficiently, safely and keep it off. Whats the point of setting yourself highly unlikely targets that you will not make? If you learn about weight loss then you will learn to be more realistic.
  • blufforbust
    blufforbust Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't beat yourself up over the short term. Gotta look at the month to month progress. I'm up and down each day but each month I've been at a net loss. Just log in daily and track foods faithfully.

Add me if you'd like.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    5lb is a good loss. And downwards is good no matter how long it takes. I celebrated two years of maintenance yesterday. It took me a year to lose 28lb and I do not expect to see those or a replacement of those again.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am eating healthy in fact, not as much as I should. I am exercising daily. I cannot understand why one day the scale says I lost weight and the next day I gained weight. When I started eating healthy and exercising I was at 170 lbs. so I have lost weight. My goal is to be at 130 lbs. before Nov. 11, 2017. I have to look perfect for my beautiful daughters wedding. Sorry I start everything early. I wonder if the fluctuation is because I am quitting smoking at the same time.

Are you weighing, measuring, and logging all of your food? If not, start now. That is the only way to know exactly how much you are eating. "Eating healthier" can still mean too many calories or inconsistency which is why you are getting inconsistent results.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Sorry, are you looking to lose 15 pounds in April?

If yes, you may want to set more realistic goals.

Bold
    add in general

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    5lb is a good loss. And downwards is good no matter how long it takes. I celebrated two years of maintenance yesterday. It took me a year to lose 28lb and I do not expect to see those or a replacement of those again.

^^ this ...it took me a year to lose 20lbs, but I've kept it off for more than a year...just keep on going and you will get there :smile:
  • tropicgran
    tropicgran Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Monday and Wednesday of this week were days of impulse eating and nonsensical food choices. I then became very aware of my weaknesses and I vow not to let them overtake me like that again. But I'm not beating myself up about it. I aim to get back on track, starting now. We will do this!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I was feeling sad just now, looking through the thread titles in this forum. So may "lose x pounds by y date" groups. Maybe they should rename this area the "Set Yourself Up To Feel Like a Failure" forum.
  • carol060606
    carol060606 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Th

• carol060606
    carol060606 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the useful tips & motivation on here. I think this forum is great for keeping it real and your all right I have set myself up for total failure! I will enjoy my holiday because ive worked hard to pay for it and if I lose another 5lbs by end of April that's great because that's 10lbs loss in total which is ace! Thank you your all lovely :) xx
  • johnsonGA15
    Options

Don't beat yourself up over this. Just try harder next time. We've all been there. Keep up the good work.