CAULIFLOWER and CASHEWS are AMAZING!!! Can anyone say non-dairy/low carbs without the sacrifice?

Options
tho2004_418
tho2004_418 Posts: 19 Member
edited March 2015 in Recipes
I love cauliflower, so versatile. When it comes to a low-carb diet, I have always struggled. My mother often joked that I was born in the wrong household because I LOVE LOVE LOVE pasta, pizza or any food that has cheese on or in it! (which isn't usually in the Chinese/Vietnamese diet). The ironic thing is, now I'm lactose intolerant and have to look for ways to get my cheese fix. Sooooo that being said, here are some recipes that I have found that involve substituting high-carbed and dairy-ridden food with their less annoying but just as tasty counterparts:

Cauliflower Tortillas:
http://www.recipegirl.com/2014/05/05/cauliflower-tortillas/

Cauliflower Based Pizza (without the cheese...sigh), makes for a low carb meal :):
http://cleananddelicious.com/2015/02/18/cauliflower-crust-pizza-that-wont-fall-apart-video/

Also, cauliflower Alfredo Sauce. This gives me the creaminess without the bloat and paired with zucchini noodle, delish :D:
http://ohsheglows.com/2014/01/20/cauli-power-fettuccine-alfredo-vegan/

All I have to say is GO CAULIFLOWER!!!

Cashew Cheese:
http://healthyblenderrecipes.com/recipes/raw_vegan_cashew_cheese

Vegan Parmesan Cheese:
http://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-vegan-parmesan-cheese/

Creamy Spinach and Kale Dip:
http://minimalistbaker.com/creamy-kale-and-spinach-dip/

GO CASHEWS and NUTRITIONAL YEAST!!!!

These recipes are amazing and I couldn't live without them!!! Enjoy!

Replies

• chantellepaquette7
    chantellepaquette7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Om nom nom
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rocks. VERY tasty, great in many recipes. ENJOY!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you so much for these, loving them all so far and will be doing some soon.
  • Generic_Excuse
    Generic_Excuse Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Have you tried zucchini noodles yet?? Amazing! I had a zucchini pasta for dinner tonight for the first time and cauliflower rice last night for first time, loved them!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I need one of those things to make zucchini noodles!
  • tho2004_418
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Wow thank you so much for these, loving them all so far and will be doing some soon.

No problem!!! They are amazing. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have :D. Thank you for the add btw. I have just started on this site and decided to become more involved in the discussions and whatnot. It seems there is a whole community on this site that are very very motivational and supportive. Guess I wanted to be apart of that.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Came for the cauliflower and cashew recipe, got none. Disappointed, but will have to investigate the posted recipes.
  • tho2004_418
    Options
    Have you tried zucchini noodles yet?? Amazing! I had a zucchini pasta for dinner tonight for the first time and cauliflower rice last night for first time, loved them!

Yes I have. They're an amazing substitute for pasta. The only thing I hate about them is that they release too much water when cooked. Did you find that too?. I haven't tried cauliflower rice yet? I heard it's the same texture as couscous. I'm planning to try this soon. You have any recipes for cauliflower rice?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb and no dairy :) I love almond milk as a substitute, and the veggie spiral maker is a life saver. I made a huge mess making cauliflower rice, and when I put them in my maki rolls I was attempting to make, everything fell apart but it still tasted awesome. There's lots of good recipes on Pinterest to help with no dairy/low carb
  • tho2004_418
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I need one of those things to make zucchini noodles!

I have one, it's called a Spiralizer or Spiral Vegetable Slicer. This is the one I use http://www.amazon.ca/Paderno-Spiral-Vegetable-Slicer-black/dp/B00NA9FZU8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1427392409&sr=8-7&keywords=spiralizer. In Canada we have a store called Kitchen Stuff plus where it's about $10CAD cheaper than what appears there. I'm sure you'd be able to find something similar in Australia.
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Yes I have. They're an amazing substitute for pasta. The only thing I hate about them is that they release too much water when cooked. Did you find that too?. I haven't tried cauliflower rice yet? I heard it's the same texture as couscous. I'm planning to try this soon. You have any recipes for cauliflower rice?[/quote]

Cut your noodles, place them on a clean dish towel and sprinkle with salt let sit for a while I normally do 15-30 minutes then gentle pat them with another clean towel or paper towel. then sautee or cook however you like. This will really help with the water that is released while cooking. I love makeing zucccini noodle but yellow squash noodles are my FAV!
  • molaufy
    molaufy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm also dairy free and low carb, and an awesome substitute for missed creamy-ness is coconut milk. It's really versatile and makes me less sad about no longer being able to use creamer or have cheese.

When I'm craving that stuff, (which has grown increasingly rare) an avocado or a handful of raw cashews really helps me.
  • tho2004_418
    Options
    Yes I have. They're an amazing substitute for pasta. The only thing I hate about them is that they release too much water when cooked. Did you find that too?. I haven't tried cauliflower rice yet? I heard it's the same texture as couscous. I'm planning to try this soon. You have any recipes for cauliflower rice?

Cut your noodles, place them on a clean dish towel and sprinkle with salt let sit for a while I normally do 15-30 minutes then gentle pat them with another clean towel or paper towel. then sautee or cook however you like. This will really help with the water that is released while cooking. I love makeing zucccini noodle but yellow squash noodles are my FAV!
    [/quote]

Interesting...I will have to try that! Thank you for the tip! Hmm? Yellow squash eh? Gotta try that. They're from the same family so I'm guessing I have to also perform the salt trick right?

You know what else is awesome for pasta subs? Spaghetti Squash. So good! Love to put chili on it actually. I got my boyfriend (who was really resistant at first) to try it and now it's a staple in our household.

• jen973
    jen973 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing cauliflower pizza all over the Internet. Tempted to try it.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    angieroo2 wrote: »
    Came for the cauliflower and cashew recipe, got none. Disappointed, but will have to investigate the posted recipes.

Me too so I Googled and found these:

foodandwine.com/recipes/cauliflower-and-cashew-soup-with-apple

ohmyveggies.com/recipe-crispy-cauliflower-carrot-fritters-smoky-garlic-aioli/

eatwithinyourmeans.com/cauliflower-cashew-pasta-bake/