is this site accurate for how many calories you burned?

rdaraz
rdaraz Posts: 103
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I use this site: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
and i was wondering if it was accurate?? thank you so much!! :)

Replies

• hsk11270
    hsk11270 Posts: 48
    All I know is I have tried to lose weight for 2 yrs straight with a personal trainer and restrictive diets and I didn't start losing until I started MFP's program and doing more cardio and less weight training. As for any other site I have no idea
  • jaymark
    jaymark Posts: 18 Member
    I find it over states exercise calories burned about 15-20 % compared to my heart monitor
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I've never seen it before. Thanks for the link. I'll try it out and compare it with some of the exercises I use from MFP's database. So far it was almost exactly the same as what the MFP database gave me for the hike I took yesterday - just a few calories difference. That's a good sign. I think they are all pretty much estimates anyway. The only way to really know is to use a HRM, but I'm too cheap for that. :flowerforyou:
  • hilhall822
    hilhall822 Posts: 116 Member
    I used it to calculate the calories I did during my jog today (I wore my heart rate monitor), and it was only about 20 calories under from what I actually burned.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    I think it's close enough to be considered accurate. :D
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I find it over states exercise calories burned about 15-20 % compared to my heart monitor

If that's true, then I guess you could just use the calories they give you from the database but subtract 15% from the amount they give you and you should be right on the mark. Hey Jaymark, how does the MFP database compare to your HRM?
  • I think it really depends on the person... I have found it to be pretty close to what my HRM tells me.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 507 Member
    Ran for 40 minutes today.... machine told me that I burned 322 and MFP told me that I burned about 450. I wrote down 325. This is fairly consistent no matter what exercise I'm doing. So to answer your question, yes, I think MFP says we burn more than we actually do.
  • rdaraz
    rdaraz Posts: 103
    thanks guys :)
  • jaymark
    jaymark Posts: 18 Member
    I have found the MFP data base about 15%-20% off what my HRM says, I generally do cardio on the elliptical.
This discussion has been closed.