Carb Cycling

Is anyone carb cycling? I am having great results with this!!

Replies

• Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Im not carb cycling. I lower or increase my carb intake according depending whether im training or not. Im finding that is greatly improving my composition. And when I was working my way up to these calories I included refeeds once or twice a week.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Alan Aragon:
    Carb cycling, when done methodically to match the differing training/non-training demands of each day, can be a very effective way to alter body composition. Random carb cycling without regard to variations in output, on the other hand, can be counterproductive.

Also, carb cycling is really a tool for those in the very low body fat percentage ranges getting ready for a body building show. If you aren't already at a very low body fat percentage (under 10% for men, under 15% for women) then carb cycling is basically pointless in my opinion.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    I carb cycle. I started doing it after my powerlifting comp. I thought I was ok with my small weight gain since I was so strong, until I looked at myself in my singlet...ugh. Granted, singlets make everyone look pretty awful. but it just made me realize that aesthetics were still important to me. but i refused to cut calories. I just had trouble in the past with that, so I decided to try to keep my cals the same but play around with the carbs. Of course on the days I lowered my carbs and really upped the protein I was so full that my cals ended up being lower anyways. I'd eat a lb of beef. No joke. Sounds like a lot but that would keep me full and thus, i ended up eating less on my low-carb days. So it could also be it was still a caloric deficit. But a lbs of ground beef..no need to reach for a snack. I was FULL and satisfied. But since i'd be eating carbs the next day...i didn't have binging episodes like I used to when I dieted n the past. I could have my carbs the next day. And that kept me sane

s5aahf.jpg
    Sept 2013 after powerlifting- 130

only a 4 lb difference here but I think it's pretty noticeable. June 2014- 126 at my kettlebell competition

302a0l0.jpg
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    I carb cycle. I started doing it after my powerlifting comp. I thought I was ok with my small weight gain since I was so strong, until I looked at myself in my singlet...ugh. Granted, singlets make everyone look pretty awful. but it just made me realize that aesthetics were still important to me. but i refused to cut calories. I just had trouble in the past with that, so I decided to try to keep my cals the same but play around with the carbs. Of course on the days I lowered my carbs and really upped the protein I was so full that my cals ended up being lower anyways. I'd eat a lb of beef for lunch. No joke. Sounds like a lot but that would keep me full and thus, i ended up eating less on my low-carb days. So it could also be it was still a caloric deficit. But a lbs of ground beef..no need to reach for a snack. I was FULL and satisfied. But since i'd be eating carbs the next day...i didn't have binging episodes like I used to when I dieted n the past. I could have my carbs the next day. And that kept me sane

s5aahf.jpg
    Sept 2013 after powerlifting- 130

only a 4 lb difference here but I think it's pretty noticeable. Although i did keep and maintain the above weight until about May. I started to carbcycle end of April/beginning of May. Here is my recent pic from June 2014- 126 at my kettlebell competition

2saz42f.jpg
  • CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Wow, what a difference in your shape! How is carb cycling going for you now?
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Alan Aragon:
    Carb cycling, when done methodically to match the differing training/non-training demands of each day, can be a very effective way to alter body composition. Random carb cycling without regard to variations in output, on the other hand, can be counterproductive.

Also, carb cycling is really a tool for those in the very low body fat percentage ranges getting ready for a body building show. If you aren't already at a very low body fat percentage (under 10% for men, under 15% for women) then carb cycling is basically pointless in my opinion.

This. Carb cycling isn't a magical weight loss tool. It's meant to alter body composition, as well as effect leptin and ghrelin levels. When in lower bf ranges (as well as higher, obesity bf ranges), these hormones have a greater effect on the body. CICO > carb cycling for weight loss.
  • nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    I have been following a new meal plan that has high carb, medium carb and low carb days. Yesterday was my low carb day and I couldn't get to lunch time. I felt super lightheaded and sick, I also have a cold, so maybe that's why? Maybe my body just needs carbs to function
  • incognitocity
    incognitocity Posts: 27 Member
    love this. I have been carb cycling for a few weeks now and am seeing an intense quick change in my body composition which is really what I am looking for. I would like to still lose a little mass in general but if its not happening and i could just shift my composition instead, im 100% HAPPY
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    This is interesting discussion. I am looking for body recomposition, but I am at a high bf - 30%. I am ok with the number on the scale. It is interesting to read that people are seeing faster body recomposition with carb cycling. Those who are seeing results, could you please share your tips with carb cycling, like about how much carbs do you eat on a high carb vs low carb day? How many days on high carb etc? Does it coincide with your training day?
  • VagablondViking
    VagablondViking Posts: 22 Member
    Bump.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    bump