Eating Disorders & MFP

Options
Once in a while I randomly click on a friend of a friends profile and read their little blurb to see what they are all about. Well, I recently came across an individual (NOT going to name names) who had a disturbing description of herself. I believe she must have lived in the UK or somewhere near because she was referencing her weight in stones.

Anyway, she talked about being hospitalized at 110 pounds and that fact that at that point her weight was "not good enough". She went on to talk about how since she has been out of the hospital her eating habits have been crazy but she is trying not to purge because it ruins her teeth.

Reading this nearly brought me to tears for two reasons: 1) I am studying to be a mental health counselor/psychologist and I can see the mental illness of distorted eating clearly taking over this young woman's life, and 2) Many of our cultures/societies push women to look a certain way (i.e. Thin), and some people take this to the extreme where it puts their life at risk. It upsets me that society does this but takes no responsibility when young women & men are dying from starving themselves or purging all their food!

Another disturbing aspect of this situation was that a few of her MFP friends had similar profile information. Apparently, they were a support group of anorexics. I know that everyone on MFP is coming in with different goals, are at different weights, and are in different life phases, but how can WE as a community not forget that weight loss SHOULD be able being healthy rather than for vanity?? Obviously, our appearance plays a large role in our motivation to lose weight, but that shouldn't be the only reason why we do it.

I wish there was some way to help reach out to individuals on here with distorted eating and help them to see the trust about themselves.

Sorry to rant on but this topic very much concerns me and I think it worth taking a moment to think about.

Thanks for reading until the end! Good luck on your journey to health! <3

Replies

• ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    Well said B...I have a couple of friends as well that I worry are suffering with an eating disorder. I always say what I think to them and if they don't like it, they don't have to be friends with me but I just have to keep it honest. It's the best thing we can do for them, be their mirrors. Some people just have body dismorphia and cannot see the thin person in the mirror, they see the 123 pound heavier version of themselves.
  • aprildude
    aprildude Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yeah I noticed this also, very disturbing for me as I am a recovered anorexic/bulimic. I am also going into counseling and this breaks my heart!
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It's the best thing we can do for them, be their mirrors. Some people just have body dismorphia and cannot see the thin person in the mirror, they see the 123 pound heavier version of themselves.

You make an excellent point A! I love how you said we need to be their mirrors. I personally believe that anyone who has an eating disorder also suffers from dismorphia.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Being a six-year fully recovered anorexic, it really hurts to read profiles like that or diaries consistently 500 calories or less. I accepted friend requests to support them in their efforts to self-recover, and then found that I couldn't do anything for them and I had to remove them. Brings back bad memories.

They need to realize for themselves that they are sick before they seek help because no one can convince them. Luckily, I checked myself into a clinic before I unintentionally killed myself.. But it's so upsetting to see what my family and friends saw in me when I wouldn't listen..

I'll keep it at that. I may blog about this at some point.

**Edit: Just to clarify.. I have fully recovered. I was 107-110 for many years (which fit my small body frame) and then I gained extra weight in nursing school and am trying to get back down a bit. -- Healthily, of course. I honestly couldn't go back to my old ways even if I tried.. Not after all that I know now)
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I would just like to point out that an eating disorder is rarely about vanity... and telling someone to eat a burger and being 'honest' with them isnt going to necessarily help them...
  • LoveleeB
    Options
    I wasn't making a global statement that eating disorders are about vanity. I was simply stating that many people only lose weight to look good rather than to appreciate the fact that they are making themselves healthier. Also, I obviously know that just being honest is not enough. In the extreme cases where individuals do not come to recognize their issue, then they need hospitalization or to be in treatment.
  • LoveleeB
    Options

**Edit: Just to clarify.. I have fully recovered.

That is just amazing! I am proud of your courage to make a change for the positive and to appreciate your life. Bravo and good luck on your journey!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I wasn't making a global statement that eating disorders are about vanity. I was simply stating that many people only lose weight to look good rather than to appreciate the fact that they are making themselves healthier. Also, I obviously know that just being honest is not enough. In the extreme cases where individuals do not come to recognize their issue, then they need hospitalization or to be in treatment.

I didnt mean for it to seem like I was attacking you or anything, it just seems many people see eating disorders as vanity, is all.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

**Edit: Just to clarify.. I have fully recovered.

That is just amazing! I am proud of your courage to make a change for the positive and to appreciate your life. Bravo and good luck on your journey!

Thank you! Hands down, the hardest thing I have EVER put myself through, but it saved my life and I am so thankful for everything I have and to be able to function normally. I'm now graduating nursing school so I can help save lives. :)