Logging Foods!

Options
wyattj99
wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
I have been logging foods for about 2 years. I have lost weight but I'm trying Paleo now and haven't logged for 5 days. I feel better now eating all whole foods 90% of the time and less restrained but I'm hearing horror stories of people putting on weight after they stopped logging, a big fear for me but at the same time I'm not going back to old habits.

What would you do?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    wyattj99 wrote: »
    I have been logging foods for about 2 years. I have lost weight but I'm trying Paleo now and haven't logged for 5 days. I feel better now eating all whole foods 90% of the time and less restrained but I'm hearing horror stories of people putting on weight after they stopped logging, a big fear for me but at the same time I'm not going back to old habits.

What would you do?

Seeing as how I personally gained my weight on a mostly whole foods diet and am losing it through logging, I would log. That's my personal preference. Calories in, calories out. Whether you choose processed foods, whole foods, or a mixture, it works the same for all of us.

People who lose weight on a paleo or whole foods diet without logging are simply able to create a deficit without logging. Logging is just a tool to create what you need to lose or maintain your weight -- a certain calorie range. Are you a person who will be able to do that? Time will tell.

You could always try monitoring your weight and then making adjustments if you do start to gain.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    If you are worried, maybe log for a couple weeks to make sure you are at the numbers you want. You'll be reassured you are good or end up with the information you need to get to good.

I know people that have gained eating only whole foods and cleaner and such. They also have the misconception that their food is healthy, so they are too no matter what and it's genetics or something else to blame and not the food.

Since you've previously logged, you know CICO is what counts to maintain your weight.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I would continue logging food because the only way I've successfully kept weight off was to eat a restrictive diet ("clean," and in this case Paleo is also a restrictive diet), and I'd rather just log - even if only on occasion to ensure I'm on track - so i can still eat high calorie foods. But I also plan to go on bulk/cut cycles so logging for the long term is much easier than trying to eyeball a surplus and deficit all the time.

If you don't want to log then just keep weighing yourself. If you go above normal fluctuationst hen start logging again.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Keep monitoring your weight, if it starts creeping up, you'll have your answer.
  • wyattj99
    Options
    Yes all...just want I needed to hear! Thanks.
    I did hide the scale, I was getting obsessive with it...lol
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Its all about you and your relationship with food. If you have learned the caloric values of various foods and the size of portion control then maintaining shouldnt be an issue for you. If logging has always been a good tool for you to control your intake then you should continue doing so. Logging your food isnt a magic pill to make you lose weight, its only an accountability tool. Some need it, some dont. For me, i need it!
  • wyattj99
    Options
    Lezavargas wrote: »
    Its all about you and your relationship with food. If you have learned the caloric values of various foods and the size of portion control then maintaining shouldnt be an issue for you. If logging has always been a good tool for you to control your intake then you should continue doing so. Logging your food isnt a magic pill to make you lose weight, its only an accountability tool. Some need it, some dont. For me, i need it!

Thank you ...well said =)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Keep logging so you know how many calories you are consuming. The type of food you are eating is unimportant if you end up with too many calories.