bratworst

Options
On day two of my journey, i found out that bratworst is loaded with fat and calories. You may want to try the Kosher dog instead.:smile:

Replies

• crysthom
    crysthom Posts: 27
    Options
    OMG I know! We were having hot dogs and brats and I always get a brat and when I looked it had twice as many calories and sodium as a hot dog...I was sooo sad! Any other good replacements?
  • lalalalyndsey
    lalalalyndsey Posts: 565
    Options
    I always try to buy chicken or turkey dogs/sausage! They're super yummy and easier on the cals and fat!
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Not sure this is a good replacement as I'm from Wisconsin and brats are a staple around here but...

Check out Smart Dogs.

I think they have 45 calories a link, are made from veggies and actually have a bit of fiber.

No comparison in taste to a good old fashion brat, but they are healthy.

Now, about that bun...
  • kennysrush
    kennysrush Posts: 124
    Options
    Another Wisconsinite here... It's true that it's tough to avoid sometimes, but I'm trying to at least opt for a burger over a brat! Turkey brats are ok, but pretty dry. There is a local place that makes chicken brats, but seem like they're really loaded with sodium!
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I agree - they are good! I just picked up some mango chicken sausage from Costco today - will give them a try.
  • pougy
    pougy Posts: 9
    Options
    I was thinking next time I'd just cut it in half long way and pretend I was getting away with a nice treat.:wink: And I just skip the bun.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hebrew National makes a pretty good hot dog that is 97% fat free and only 40 calories per dog. I know it's not a brat, but it can be eaten on a bun and they have pretty good flavor.

Also, the chicken sausages from Costco are excellent! If I remember correctly, they only have 6 grams of fat in a sausage. Don't remember the calorie count. I haven't had them in awhile - I need to call my Costco supplier ;)
  • lalalalyndsey
    lalalalyndsey Posts: 565
    Options
    I agree - they are good! I just picked up some mango chicken sausage from Costco today - will give them a try.

OMG those are soooo good!!