Running shoes

Options
I started the C25k last week and by the third session, my right hip was very sore. A bit of googling suggested new running shoes... The ones I have are very old.

What shoes have worked best for you for shock absorbing? I'm quite a wide fit so mens styles are sometimes better than women's

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I would highly advise checking out a specialized running store. They will be able to analyze your foot shape and running gait to help you choose just the right shoe to avoid injury!

You'll pay a bit more for the shoes, but after that you'll know what works for you and you can look around for a bargain on the next pair!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I second going to a running store. Take your old shoes with you so that they can check the soles for your wear pattern. They will find you the best shoe for your feet and your runs will feel a lot better.
    I always know to start looking for shoes when my legs start to feel sore and heavy during a run.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    +1 for visiting the running store. I recently purchased a new pair of running shoes and have been quite happy ever since. Remember to where a good sports bra when you go. :D
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    definitely agree with those who say go to a running store. I too have a wide foot with a super high arch, but a neutral stride. I need lots of support but no gait correction. I wear a brooks glycerin. I used to get them in wide, but my feet lost weight and I got my last pair in a regular width.

My best friend though likes a minimal shoe. With high arches, I just can't do that. A good running store will tell you all these things. I didn't know until they told me. Then they will direct you to trying on like a million pairs of shoes and even running in them.
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have large feet (for a woman) in general and have found Asics to work pretty good. Hubby likes New Balance for his definitely wide feet. Tossing this out as ideas in case a running store is unavailable or unaffordable. Do however, purchase your shoes at a place with a generous return policy and make use of it if the new shoes don't seem to work for you.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Also, (forgot to mention this in my earlier message) make sure there's lots of room in the toe box. I buy running shoes a 1/2 size larger than my regular shoes. No blisters or black nails yet.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,542 Member
    Options
    Not a good advise I guess, but I'm using Ecco CS14 shoes for running and all other sports, simply because my strange feet don't fit into any real sports shoes. Plus I live in a country where I cannot get any advise on the right shoes anyway. So far it works. During my last attempt at running a few years ago I had to stop after the third short walking/running session because my toes started to hurt. No problems so far at W4D2, thus I guess those shoes are perfect for me.
  • cantumelia
    cantumelia Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It´s a very personal question. Some people might find the neutral, cushioned shoes the best for them while other people may be better off barefoot, minimal, with orthetic insoles, rigid or flexible soles, etc. I think you should ask a podiatric doctor.
  • shortclaws
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies... I'm going to start with the running shop today and see what they say
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have tried many different shoes, New Balance, Mizuno, Karrimor (dont even go there :s ) I am a neutral foot gait and have settled with Hoka One One Stinson ATR (im a trail runner) i had to go up half a size and they fit great.
    The cushioning is unbelievable its like running on pillows. They are wide in the toe box and have good heel grip. The only thing is they look ridiculous like clown shoes but who cares when im running on clouds. I now no longer get shin splints or tired calves.
    I have gone from week three C25K last week to completing my first 5k yesterday in 37mins. I am a previous runner so I don't suggest everyone jumps the programme like I have done.
    I cant praise Hoka enough.
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    +1 more for a running store, and not like a big box "sports" store, more along the lines of the local running store. They will get you on a treadmill and watch how you run and then go from there. You don't need to buy from them if the price is out of your budget. Take their advise and then hit up runningwarehouse.com or similar. Running shoes can change in style, so make sure if you are getting a deal on last years model it hasn't changed from the shoe you tried in the store. In my area, the local running stores usually higher semi pro runners or college track students, they have always been helpful and knowledgeable.

Also, know the return policy. A good running store will have a try and return policy. If you hate the shoe, even after you've run in it for a month outside, you can return it. I think Road Runners Sports offers this.

A previous poster suggested a Hoka, I agree, very cloud like, but also $$$ so if you like a cloud feel there are a few brands that offer that: NB, Brooks have similar cloudy running shoes. Hoka are also very big soled, so some people find them clunky, even if they are very light.

New Balance, Brooks and I believe Nike (although my preferred cloud line in the Nike have changed to less cloud like) all have similar cloudy shoes in their lines that are more along the traditional running shoe.

Adidas has the Boost for the last couple of years, I've heard really good things about it.

Like others have said, it's a very personal thing. People swear by their running shoes and get upset when a maker "improves" on the design. A few of my friends will buy multiple pairs of their favorite running shoe in one go, just to be on the safe side.

I would go for a typical classic running shoe for a starter c25k runner. If you find you're loving running and want to continue on with it and build up your goals, absolutely try other styles of running shoes (Newtons, minimalist, Hoka, etc) and find one that meets your needs and style once you have figured out what your needs and style are.
  • shortclaws
    Options
    Well I went along to Runners Need and when I went in I thought, "oh dear, big shop. They're not going to have the knowledge". But they were very very good. Looked at my old shoes and were very diplomatic about their lack of support.
    They got me on the treadmill (thank you for the suggestion of wearing a sports bra) and videoed my feet. Then tried me in some other shoes and instantly saw an improvement. Then tried another pair, and another until it was just right

I ended up with Asics GT2000 3 (mens cos my feet are so big!!!) The shoes were way over what I intended to spend (£100.... eeek!) but if they stop me from being injured, then it'll be worth it.
    Amazon are selling them £20 cheaper but I was impressed by this shop, they earned their price and if everyone buys online after using their fitting services, well then I guess they won't be there the next time. I'm normally a total online purchaser but these guys deserved the sale.

I'm dying to get out and try them but my hip still hurts a bit so I figure I should be pain free before I run again :-( I'm impatient though!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Get the right show for your foot, but don't depend on the cushioning to fix your problems. In reality the cushioning feels good but makes such a trivial difference in the impact forces your body experiences in running that it really is of no help at all.

The best way to reduce impact forces and address running pains is by fixing your running form and doing it in such a way as to minimize the stress to your bones and joints. Google "Good Form Running" for details.
  • shortclaws
    Options
    Thanks Scott, I will. I know I have issues cos I walk slightly duck like ;-)
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    shortclaws wrote: »
    I started the C25k last week and by the third session, my right hip was very sore. A bit of googling suggested new running shoes... The ones I have are very old.

What shoes have worked best for you for shock absorbing? I'm quite a wide fit so mens styles are sometimes better than women's

For my wide feet I loves me some New Balance shoes!
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    shortclaws wrote: »
    Well I went along to Runners Need and when I went in I thought, "oh dear, big shop. They're not going to have the knowledge". But they were very very good. Looked at my old shoes and were very diplomatic about their lack of support.
    They got me on the treadmill (thank you for the suggestion of wearing a sports bra) and videoed my feet. Then tried me in some other shoes and instantly saw an improvement. Then tried another pair, and another until it was just right

I ended up with Asics GT2000 3 (mens cos my feet are so big!!!) The shoes were way over what I intended to spend (£100.... eeek!) but if they stop me from being injured, then it'll be worth it.
    Amazon are selling them £20 cheaper but I was impressed by this shop, they earned their price and if everyone buys online after using their fitting services, well then I guess they won't be there the next time. I'm normally a total online purchaser but these guys deserved the sale.

I'm dying to get out and try them but my hip still hurts a bit so I figure I should be pain free before I run again :-( I'm impatient though!

Agree with supporting you local running store by making the purchase their after you are fit. I consider the extra cost as a well earned 'fee' for a personal service.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Good on you for choosing a local dealer rather than the web, However, doing a gait analysis on a treadmill is not much good if your an outdoor runner as you will run differently. My local store has a different way of gait analysis which I feel is a much better way than the old fashioned treadmill test.

Hope everything goes ok though with your new shoes and remember take it easy to begin with.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics, but I get frustrated because they seem to break down a bit too quickly for the price. Any suggestions for similar, but more durable, shoes?