Calorie counting versus slim fast diet?

Options
I am so serious this time about losing weight and getting fit. My nurse practitioner seems to think calorie counting would work, but not for me. I am trying the slim fast diet, anyone been successful, would love to hear the feedback. Virgolee

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you would come to a calorie counting community to praise the "other way", and before you've even started too.

The problem with meal replacements is they take all the fun out of eating (textures, interest) and don't teach a stick on how to put together a calorie sensible meal.

I suspect you will soon be eating crow for your nurse practitioner.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    All Slim Fast ever did was make me hungry. Try it and if it works for you, great.
  • Steffinana
    Steffinana Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    Personally I haven't tried the SlimFast diet, but my mum tried it a couple of years ago and for her it wasn't particularly successful. At first she lost a couple of pounds, but the she hit a plateau and she got really bored of the shakes after a while since you keep on drinking the same 3 flavours all over again every day. My mum has now successfully lost weight with the Pierre Dukan diet (protein based). I go with calorie counting, which works pretty well as long as I do it meticulously all the time..no slacking or it'll all go wrong..
    Hope that helps! :D Steph
  • mandychowx
    mandychowx Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Nothing is better and faster for losing weight than to eat wholesome food filled with nutrients. Slim fast diet yes you will probably lose a few kg/pounds fast but I can guarantee you will gain it backer faster.

Weight loss principal is simple, be in a calorie deficit- meaning you eat less than you burn daily. Slim fast diet makes you lose weight because you're not eating as much as you burn. BUT this can be achieved with FOOD.

My fitness pal can help you work out your calories on how much you should eating to lose weight.

Why put yourself through a fad diet when you can eat wholesome good food and feel good?
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    fad-diet-transformation.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did some digging (wikipedia and google) and Slim-Fast was founded in 1977. About the same time obesity took off in the US. Coincidence? ;-)

obesity-trend-e1382104177114.png
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yea my girlfriend used to drink slim fast like it was water until I showed her the labels comparing it to Nesquick. Pretty much the same thing....
  • 00figg
    00figg Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    assuming slim fast works while you are on it, that is great! but what happens when you stop drinking the drinks? what have you learned about eating that you can carry with you to sustain your weight loss?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Its not really going to work on a forum full of calorie counters, with many thousands losing weight.

Are you going to be on slimfast for the rest of your life?

My main objection is it deprives you of the opportunity to lean about nutrition and how weight loss really works.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Whatever gets you started is fine by me. The only way to lose is have a calorie deficit.

Slim Fast is not a calorie deficit, it is a collection of products. Their 3-2-1 plan requires you have a "sensible meal" which they define as 500 calories.
    3 snack bars at 100 calories each = 300 .
    2 meal bars at 220 calories = 440
    1 actual meal of 500 calories = 500
    Total: 1240 calories

That is barely over the MFP suggested minimum of 1200 calories and does not account for individual needs, your age, height, starting and ending weights, you level of exercise, nothing. But it does sell their product.

Like I said, if it gets you started, fine. I would not want to live the rest of my life eating like that.
  • mattissy
    mattissy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started Slim Fast on Monday, I'm finding it really good for now, I intend doing it for 2 weeks. I need a major boost at the start of a diet or I simply lose interest and soon waiver. Others are right in that it teaches you nothing about a healthy diet, but that's not why I use it, I use it as a motivational kick up the butt. It's easy and no effort, which is great in my life. I know what I'm eating every day and its easy to buy as its in every supermarket, I then eat my healthy meal with the family in the evening, I make a big effort to make my evening meal special.

I know pretty much everything I need to know about a healthy balanced diet working with exercise, what I have lacked recently is motivation, which saw the pounds creep on. I'll see the pounds drop quickly and I'll be motivated to continue with a balanced healthy diet.

I wouldn't use Slim Fast long term, but a quick two week boost is good for me.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have an IRL friend who lost a large amount of weight, and she eats a regimented meal plan (one she made up) of 2 frozen meals a day (lean cuisine, or similar) 1 protien bar for breakfast, and as much diet doctor pepper as she wants.

Once a week, on sunday, she goes to her favorite mexican resturaunt and eats to her hearts content.

Other than that, she eats the 2 frozen meals, and one protien bar. No fruit, no nothin' outside that plan.

when I was starting out, I tried this plan, and wanted to kill myself.
  • stevesgirl824
    stevesgirl824 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I tried slim fast, but it got boring and I never stuck with it past losing the first 10 pounds.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Eat real food and even drink chocolate milk instead of Slim Fast. Not worth money and yes you can monitor what you eat and drink by logging in a diary everyday.