Snacks are killing me

Options
I do good all day, but I end up having evening / late-night snacks that ruin the day. The only day this week I didn't was when I skipped dinner and went to bed at 6pm.

Any tips? I've eaten or trashed just about anything that could be used to snack on.

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Spread your meals so you eat the majority of your calories later in the day. Also is your calorie goal reasonable and not too severe you only have 28 ponds to lose so should be aiming for .5 or 1 pound a week
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Don't buy the snacks. And if you do, buy only a serving or 2 at a time (I never buy a whole box of quest bars for example!) and you'll only eat what you have at home. Also 3 square meals a day never ever worked for me. I eat small meals about 5-6 times a day.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I know I snack and want to eat the most at night so I allocate more of my calories for my evening meal and keep breakfast and lunch a little lighter.
  • s_jane
    s_jane Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Here are some things that have helped me:
    • Find something low-cal to snack on. I ate 2 cups of strawberries yesterday for about 100 calories. Berries are my go to treat right now.
    • Plan for your evening snack in the morning. Pick out what you think you will snack on and log it early. That way you have some calories saved for it.
    • Set a time that you will not eat after. I started at 10pm and moved it back half an hour at a time until I got to 8pm. That has made a huge difference. If I eat my calories during the day, I don't even feel hungry late at night!
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Keep healthy meals available and at hand.
    I have all the naughty stuff whilst in the office (since I'm running around a lot) and keep only healthier meals at stuff. That way, if I go over my calories in say broccoli it won't be such a dip as if I went out and ate a box of chocolates...

I literally have learned the hard way to munch on raw vegetables when getting home if I get peckish!
  • MrsWQLittle
    MrsWQLittle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That happens to all of us. I would say the first thing to do is not to buy junk food. If it's in the house you are going to want it. If you do get hungry and need a snack check the calorie count and balance it with your workout. I know that a snickers bar is 266 calories or approximately 30 minutes on the elliptical for me. If I am willing to put that extra 30 minutes in then I can have it but I have to put the time in FIRST and have the snack afterwards. I can tell you that after all the work and huffing and puffing the Snickers bar is a lot less attractive to me. Most of the time I think to myself "I could enjoy this Snickers for the next two minutes or I could add those extra calories burned to my deficit." It's really a lot easier if you think of it something that you choose not to have as opposed to something that you can't have. Good luck to you! :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    everything that everyone else said! Plus, I found that my breakfasts were too small which made me feel like I was starving by dinner and I overate dinner and still wanted snacks. Now I eat slightly more throughout the day and I try to have a snack on the ride home from work/daycare. This works great because I bring the snack from home so it's healthy and I'm in the car, so I can't eat more than what I brought. Then, I get home and cook dinner and I'm not so ravenous during dinner and after.

I also go to the gym during prime snacky time. Usually between 8pm and 9pm when my kiddos go to bed. Then I earn a snack (WINE) when I get home.
  • ACB1964
    ACB1964 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I am really good all day, I plan my food and exercise for the day in the morning and log it so I can see what I am allowed, making healthy choices then I get home and I pick at the snacks the kids are eating. My husband loves to watch TV at night and it seems to be a trigger for snaking as well. Even if these are "healthy" snacks like hummus and pretzels or handful of pistachios it’s an extra snack I hadn't planned and then I am scrambling to mitigate the damage and edit my logs. Today I am going to try something new. I am going to skip the 11am snack and have a bigger lunch and larger late afternoon snack. When I get home I'm going to do my work out then a protein shake. I was working out in the morning followed by a protein shake. I'm going see if reversing it will help. I only have 10 pounds to lose and I have been tracking diligently for three weeks and have lost just under 2 pounds. I had been on WW for the previous 8 weeks and gained 3 pounds with the nonsense of fruits of vegetables being zero points. Obviously was eating too many and the sugars/carbs caught up with me quickly.
  • jen7eleven
    jen7eleven Posts: 83 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm struggling with the same issue. I'm reading a lot of responses with really good advice. However, for some like me, it's not always as simple as "don't do it." Sometimes, it's more mental/emotional.

I eat more when I am alone, especially snacks (chips, candy, desserts). Took me a while (decades) to realize it is more than just "boredom eating". I found myself removing all of the temptations from the house, only to later end up heading back out to buy more. My brain knew I didn't need to and that it was bad. Most of the time, I was not even hungry. I'm still doing some soul-searching to learn more about why I eat the way I eat. For now, I try to look at the avoidance of post-dinner snacking as a good decision for my health rather than not allowing myself the "indulgence". I remind myself that snacks are not companions when I am alone. It might not always work, but this week (my first week of really trying) it has helped me a lot.

To OP, I hope you find the cause of your urge to snack so you can find the best solution. :)

*edit for misspelling
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I plan my snacks ahead, weight them out, log them and eat them through out the day. That way im not tempted to sneak a bite of this or a bite of that or grab something from the vending machine.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Pre-log if you want to keep up with and track calories you consume and/or plan to consume.. if you can't pre-log, log in each meal and snack to see what your numbers are for the day and what is left over...

If the evening snacks are part of your daily life, they should be planned out just like the rest of your meals..

I spread out my calories from the time I start eating all the way till my evening snack/dessert.

To keep in check with your goals and getting desired results, you will learn what you are doing wrong soon enough and if you want to change all of this, you will map out your days and evenings properly...

• justenjoythislift
    justenjoythislift Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    jen7eleven wrote: »
    I'm struggling with the same issue. I'm reading a lot of responses with really good advice. However, for some like me, it's not always as simple as "don't do it." Sometimes, it's more mental/emotional.

I eat more when I am alone, especially snacks (chips, candy, desserts). Took me a while (decades) to realize it is more than just "boredom eating". I found myself removing all of the temptations from the house, only to later end up heading back out to buy more. My brain knew I didn't need to and that it was bad. Most of the time, I was not even hungry. I'm still doing some soul-searching to learn more about why I eat the way I eat. For now, I try to look at the avoidance of post-dinner snacking as a good decision for my health rather than not allowing myself the "indulgence". I remind myself that snacks are not companions when I am alone. It might not always work, but this week (my first week of really trying) it has helped me a lot.

To OP, I hope you find the cause of your urge to snack so you can find the best solution. :)

*edit for misspelling
    You nailed it. It's mental. You've trained your brain to associate certain foods a certain way and even tho logically you know you shouldn't you still eat them. So it's just about training mentally, so to speak, to flip that switch. We've had these bad eating habit for years and years and years so it will take time. Just like it takes time to get your stamina up physically, you have to view the way you think the same way. As long as you are aware you are training.

I went two days cold turkey from my snacks (chips and candy) and it was tough and I thought about going to buy some again and again. Got really close to doing it but didn't. When I woke up the next day I felt much better than when I binge eat before I fall asleep. I try to keep this positive feeling in mind and realize those bad foods are denying me that. But on the 3rd day I had to have something so I bought some gummi worms. But I really didn't even feel like eating them. I did eventually but it was much different than before when I would just throw the snacks down my throat without thinking. If youre aware while eating youll realize it pales in comparison to the feeling of waking up healthy. So today, 4th day, I went to wal-mart had no urges.

Anyway OP, you've done step one. Just keep that awareness up that those snacks are ruining your days of good eating. That switch will flip eventually.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem and what worked for me was having a little something sweet after dinner. Dessert to me signals the end of eating for the day so I know that after my little dessert, that's it. It's usually a fudgesickle because I love them but you can pick whatever you like.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    alpine1994 wrote: »
    I used to have that problem and what worked for me was having a little something sweet after dinner. Dessert to me signals the end of eating for the day so I know that after my little dessert, that's it. It's usually a fudgesickle because I love them but you can pick whatever you like.

I do this too, except it can also be a little cheese--just a little something after dinner after which I don't eat any more.

For me not snacking other than planned things like this was really helpful, since I have a terrible habit of snacking when not hungry just because I'm bored or stressed or associate it with something I do when I do something else or so on. Breaking the snacking habit didn't lead to me feeling any hungrier, so was an easy way to really cut down on calories and improve my eating without much effort. It was just difficult when getting used to it.

If you think you are really hungry, do as others said: schedule in the snacks and pre-log and don't have food you might eat uncontrollably around, DON'T eat out of bags or the like, but give yourself a portion and that's it, or consider eating more for planned meals later--one reason I don't have problems with evening snacking is I tend to eat dinner late anyway and dinner plus my post dinner something end up being my biggest meal of the day usually.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    alpine1994 wrote: »

This is what I do, too. I have a box of skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, and I've been having one a day for a while now.
  • jryanr
    jryanr Posts: 5
    Options
    ACB1964 wrote: »
    I am having the same problem. I am really good all day, I plan my food and exercise for the day in the morning and log it so I can see what I am allowed, making healthy choices then I get home and I pick at the snacks the kids are eating. My husband loves to watch TV at night and it seems to be a trigger for snaking as well. Even if these are "healthy" snacks like hummus and pretzels or handful of pistachios it’s an extra snack I hadn't planned and then I am scrambling to mitigate the damage and edit my logs. Today I am going to try something new. I am going to skip the 11am snack and have a bigger lunch and larger late afternoon snack. When I get home I'm going to do my work out then a protein shake. I was working out in the morning followed by a protein shake. I'm going see if reversing it will help. I only have 10 pounds to lose and I have been tracking diligently for three weeks and have lost just under 2 pounds. I had been on WW for the previous 8 weeks and gained 3 pounds with the nonsense of fruits of vegetables being zero points. Obviously was eating too many and the sugars/carbs caught up with me quickly.

I have previously done WW with great results. I liked the zero points for fruit and veggies. It really promotes filling up on those instead of other foods.
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I plan out all my snacks for the day. I choose low cal choices so i can eat ALL DAY! Sometimes by the end of the day I have something left over that i can remove from my diary!
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Lezavargas wrote: »
    I plan out all my snacks for the day. I choose low cal choices so i can eat ALL DAY! Sometimes by the end of the day I have something left over that i can remove from my diary!

I do the same thing, then I know exactly what I am going to eat and when. No room for error!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Keeping up with plenty of protein helps me to feel satisfied and not want snacks in the evening.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Snack on foods with more fiber. Protein doesn't really fill me up unless I eat like 40-50 grams of it in one sitting, and then I'll just be hungry again anyway in a few hours. Fiber is what satisfies me and gets the weight dropping off for me. Blackberries, cranberries, guavas, kiwis, pears, pomegranates, raspberries, and strawberries are all good sources of fiber if you like to snack on fruit. Chobani Simply 100 cups of Greek yogurt have 5 grams of fiber and 12 grams of protein, all though some people are sensitive to the chicory root that the fiber is derived from. Just be sure to watch your fiber intake. The last thing you want is to be bloated and miserable with diarrhea. :p