Question about running intervals?

Options
I have a 90 yard park in front of my home - it's a perfect, flat field of mowed grass. I want to start running intervals on it (or right beside it using it's length.)

I was thinking of walking across it then running back - walking across and running back - walking across and running back (you get the idea) for about 20 minutes.

Would that be ok? Would I need to warm up? How so? Any advice is appreciated. TIA :)

Replies

• UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    What my racing team does is this. We run as hard as we can for a quarter of a mile. We stop and rest for 2 minutes and repeat. So far 6 times kicks my *kitten*. I've only done it twice but it's a great work out and you will reap great benefits!! It's just kinda hard to do on your own cuz it's really hard and it really sucks!!
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    That sounds good. YOu could do a walk up as your warm up.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    What my racing team does is this. We run as hard as we can for a quarter of a mile. We stop and rest for 2 minutes and repeat. So far 6 times kicks my *kitten*. I've only done it twice but it's a great work out and you will reap great benefits!! It's just kinda hard to do on your own cuz it's really hard and it really sucks!!
    I used to run intervals on the treadmill. This is a bit different. I actually love running intervals because I'm the kind who gets bored easily! This will keep me in check, haha. :)
  • goodstarbuck
    Options
    It sounds like a good set up. 20 minutes should be more than enough time. When I do intervals, I just sprint for 20 seconds, jog for 10, do that about 6 times, then walk a minute before starting the whole thing again. I've noticed improvements to my overall speed in a pretty short amount of time (just in time for a 5k!)

Personally, I like intervals by myself (and my music player).
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I'd use the walk as my warm up, but if you need more maybe walk down, back and down as a warm up?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. Your warm up will be the walking portion. Just make sure you stretch really well afterwards!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    walking or light jogging is a great warm up. also be sure to do your stretches!! :)
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm so pumped for this! :P