Nightime Snacking

During the day I have no problem with food. My time is after dinner. I usually have
Healthy Choice Fudge Bars (1 or sometimes 2)................100 cal;
Cheese stick................................................................ 80 cal.
Rice cake......................................................................45 cal
2 Tbs peanut butter.......................................................190 cal
Herbal tea.....................................................................0
(Sometimes even bag pretzels).........................................100 cal.
Any help someone could give me, I would really appreciate it. I'm averaging roughly about 5 lbs per month. Thank you - Eileen

Replies

• andydessner
    andydessner Posts: 7 Member
    I am the same way! I just try to find something to do!
  • You are losing weight. Are those calories within your calorie goal? Maybe spread those throughout the day if they are, if you are thinking that nightime snacking is bad.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    5lbs per month is really good. I also eat lots of food after dinner, I just make sure to leave enough calories for it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    You're losing five pounds a month?
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    edited March 2015
    i would keep adjusting food for during the day, if you tend to midnight snack theres probably something causing it and it tends to be the carby stuff at wrong times triggers bad eating. happened to me the other night also,its best when that happens just to have something.
  • I have the same problem. I think you are doing great by losing 5 pounds a week!
  • iyam1946
    iyam1946 Posts: 2
    Your can spread your snacks during the day, and let your last snacks be at 7:00 pm.
    I eat my last snacks at 7:00 pm and I make sure its light, after that I brush my teeth and that tells me no more food but water in my mouth.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    It doesn't matter when you eat. You're losing weight at a good pace, so I don't see a problem. :)
  • amitkatz0
    amitkatz0 Posts: 61 Member
    It sounds like your progress is good, so I don't see the problem? If you really want to stop snacking after dinner, you need to make sure your dinner is filling and you have something else to occupy your time. Good filling food includes fresh veggies and fatty things.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Does this not fit in your calorie goal? If the foods fit your goal then I don't get what you need help with.
    You could switch to snacking on vegetables if you'd like.
    I like popcorn for an evening snack personally.
  • EileenQuaranti
    EileenQuaranti Posts: 5 Member
    I continuously binge. The calories are way above my calorie goal.
  • Vickihinton
    Vickihinton Posts: 1 Member
    Brushing your teeth after dinner or after your evening snack, drink a hot drink if you are hungry, and maybe try to just go to bed earlier.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member

If you are way above your goal and still losing 5 pounds a month, then perhaps your goal is set too low for what you need to eat to feel comfortable and still lose weight.

There was a recent study that showed that what you eat is more important than when you eat it. If you know that you are going to be hungry all evening, plan to eat your calories mostly in the evening.

I've tried spreading out my calories over the day in the past and that just leaves me hungry at night. I ate more than I really wanted during the day to try to stop my nighttime hunger and it didn't work.

Since I've given myself permission to only eat when I'm hungry, rather than trying to spread out my calorie intake, I'm eating about half of my calories at night. That's much more sustainable for me. I end up eating fewer calories overall for the day and I don't go to bed hungry.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    During the day I have no problem with food. My time is after dinner. I usually have
    Healthy Choice Fudge Bars (1 or sometimes 2)................100 cal;
    Cheese stick................................................................ 80 cal.
    Rice cake......................................................................45 cal
    2 Tbs peanut butter.......................................................190 cal
    Herbal tea.....................................................................0
    (Sometimes even bag pretzels).........................................100 cal.
    Any help someone could give me, I would really appreciate it. I'm averaging roughly about 5 lbs per month. Thank you - Eileen

My snacks are usually -

Edy's - Outshine Fruit Bars No Sugar, 1 bar (43g) 25 calories;
    Emerald 100 Cal Almonds - Natural Almonds 100 Calorie Pack, 17.5 g pack;
    Kellogg Special K - Cracker Chips (Sea Salt), 1 Bag 25g (90 calories);
    Weight Watchers - Peanut Butter Brownie Bliss, 1 brownie 21g (90 calories);
    Jolly Time - Healthy Pop Butter Popcorn 100 Calorie Pack;
    Special K - Heavenly Caramel Brownie, 20 g (1 brownie) (80 calories);
    Dole - Pineapple Tidbits - No Sugar Added 1 container (113g) 35 calories;
    Sunsweet Gold Label - Pitted Prunes, 5 prunes (40 g) (100 calories);
    Fiber One - Caramel Sea Salt Bar, 1 Bar (90 calories);
    Dannon - Light & Fit Carb & Sugar Control Vanilla Cream Yogurt, 4 oz. (45 calories);
    Sugar free jello (5 calories)

73641431.png
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    My snacks are often a litre of Chapman's cappucino frozen yogurt @ 800 cal...with some granola or museli on top (100 cal) and maybe some crushed mini eggs (100 cal)....and also maybe a bag of Angie's Boom Chicka Pop lightly sweet and salty popcorn @ 600 cal....and that's a standard evening of snacking for me. lol
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member

So the problem isn't really the snacks or the timing. You should just build these after dinner snacks into your calorie goal, so you don't feel guilty about them. I always log snacks to have after dinner. Sometimes I don't eat them and erase them the next day, but l like knowing they are there if I want them. I'll have things like cookies or ice cream, coffees or Starbucks Refresher drinks. I do keep the the snacks under 100 calories, and can usually only manage two and a couple of coffees, which I have always enjoyed at night. I don't ever feel guilty about these because I am staying within my calorie goal. I am actually staying under my sedentary goal. Good luck. Sounds like you are losing weight at a reasonable rate.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Agree with areallycoolstory - I always planned my nightly snack(s) first - eating those I outlined above. I knew I would always want 1-2 and it was foolish to pretend I wouldn't...I'd also have decaf tea etc .
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Nothing wrong with nighttime snacking. If you are losing weight, stick to your food plan as it is now. Fit your desired snack or treat (for a job well done) into your calorie goal. Not that I am advocating eating Rolos everyday but I from time to time have some mini Rolos once in awhile at night. lol

Keep up the good work!
  • blakexx3
    blakexx3 Posts: 89 Member
    Recently I just challenged myself to a 30 day challenge of no junk food/eating after dinner. This really helped me because although I now eat some junk foods, I am able to do so in moderation and have yet to have any binges. I don't feel that psychological need to eat at night at all either. I know this isn't for everyone but it helped me take my control back.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    While there is nothing wrong with snacking at night within your calorie range, I do understand that it is not the healthiest habit to nurture... Even if your calorie count permits regularly eating chippy-, ice creamy-, processed stuff, it would be a step in the right direct to cut it out or replace with something simpler (maybe a bit of fruit, veg or oatmeal).