Water Retention

Options
Soooo...last week I was drinking lots of water...the amount I should be drinking and my system was flushing out pretty well. But this week it seems I am drinking all this water and it isn't really leaving my body. I mean, I still go to the bathroom, but nothing like it was last week. Why is my body not letting it go?

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you have other symptoms or your weight is jumping up. Just focus on drinking enough water that your pee is usually clear or close to clear.
  • timandbeckivillard
    Options
    Well, it has affected my weight. Thats why I know my body is holding onto the water for some reason. I have jumped up like 4 pounds the past 2 days.
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Sometimes...it can take up to two weeks before the water retention leaves. I had a day I ate so much sodium...my weight went up by 4 kgs. It wasnt until about two weeks later before I started to lose 1 kg a day.
  • timandbeckivillard
    Options
    And I am not eating much sodium at all. I just don't get why my body was releasing it last week and now it decides to hold on to it all =(
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What are you eating? Maybe its just food weight. Also, if you plan on weighing yourself...weigh at the same time everyday in the morning. Try to eat at the sametime everyday as well. Can I see your diary?
  • timandbeckivillard
    Options
    My diet hasn't changed. I am staying on track of everything like I normally do. The only thing that has changed is that my body isn't letting go of the water like it normally does lol. And I always weigh myself right when I get up in the morning after I go to the bathroom.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Have you started doing an intense exercise regimen? Our muscles hold onto water to repair themselves when we do. I always gain a few pounds of water the day after a half marathon, for example.
  • timandbeckivillard
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Have you started doing an intense exercise regimen? Our muscles hold onto water to repair themselves when we do. I always gain a few pounds of water the day after a half marathon, for example.

Funny you should mention that...I have been working out the past month or so but the past week I haven't been able to do it as hardcore as I usually do because I hurt my knee. But even then I was still losing water good. BUT today, this morning, was the first day that I went back and had a good workout. So that could be the reason why I am not peeing as good today, because my muscles are back in motion?

• Shann_Go
    Shann_Go Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This happens whenever I start triathlon training each year and on weeks when I really up the intensity. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's all water associated with my body replacing glycogen in my muscles--it's not real weight gain.

It's hard to see the scale go up 6 pounds out of nowhere, which it did for me not too long ago, but if you know you're at a calorie deficit each day, then you just have to trust that it will eventually come off. Just keep drinking plenty of fluids and logging food!
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am not super athletic but when I was training for a 5K my water weight did this same thing. It is a great thing our bodies are designed to do to heal muscle but since we are a generation of weight conscience people we see it on the scale.
  • timandbeckivillard
    Options
    Shann_Go wrote: »
    This happens whenever I start triathlon training each year and on weeks when I really up the intensity. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's all water associated with my body replacing glycogen in my muscles--it's not real weight gain.

It's hard to see the scale go up 6 pounds out of nowhere, which it did for me not too long ago, but if you know you're at a calorie deficit each day, then you just have to trust that it will eventually come off. Just keep drinking plenty of fluids and logging food!

Could this then mean that I am not drinking enough water if my body feels the need to hold on to it? I also recently just started adding amino acids to my water when I work out. Could this be causing it too? I would think not because I thought those were supposed to HELP your muscles when you work out, not make them hold on to every drop of water I put in my body.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Shann_Go wrote: »

Could this then mean that I am not drinking enough water if my body feels the need to hold on to it? I also recently just started adding amino acids to my water when I work out. Could this be causing it too? I would think not because I thought those were supposed to HELP your muscles when you work out, not make them hold on to every drop of water I put in my body.

My impression: you seem to be over-thinking it a bit. If you're thirsty, drink. Make sure your pee is staying clear/close to clear. Additional monitoring of your urine output isn't really necessary. If you really think you aren't eliminating, visit a doctor.

Our bodies aren't straight-forward like a measuring cup. The foods that we eat, our environment, and the activity that we do all influence how much water we retain and how much we need.