How do you prepare your cod?

Options
gagnon9691
gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
edited March 2015 in Recipes
I baked mine in the oven last night with a little butter in the baking dish and then some salt, pepper and cayenne on top. It wasn't bad but I wouldn't mind other suggestions.

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    coated in zatarans and then in peanut oil at 350*.
  • gagnon9691
    Options
    Zatarans, like the rice?
    _John_ wrote: »
    coated in zatarans and then in peanut oil at 350*.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I like to cut it in small(ish) pieces and lightly coat in flour mixed with seasoning then pan fry in a little bit of butter. This makes good fish tacos or serve with rice or quinoa and veggies. Emeril has a recipe for his "essence" that you can find on-line. I keep a jar on hand at all times. This is usually what I mix with my flour.
  • gagnon9691
    Options
    I've always wanted to try making fish tacos but for some reason it seems like so much work.
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I like to cut it in small(ish) pieces and lightly coat in flour mixed with seasoning then pan fry in a little bit of butter. This makes good fish tacos or serve with rice or quinoa and veggies. Emeril has a recipe for his "essence" that you can find on-line. I keep a jar on hand at all times. This is usually what I mix with my flour.

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I make a parchment paper packet with cod, sweet mini peppers, onion, garlic, mushrooms, sometimes hot pepper, salt and pepper. Sometimes I use old bay seasoning instead of salt and pepper. Then I bake it.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I bake it brushed with butter with parsley and dill sprinkled on top. Or I dip it flour then egg then panko crumbs and deep fry it. More calories but I make it fit and don't do it very often just when I get a craving
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Season some breadcrumbs and mix in a little parmesan, chopped parsley and lemon zest. Dip your fish in fat free natural yoghurt then the crumb mixture and bake in a hot oven. Very very tasty!
  • sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Braised cod -- this has olive oil, butter, lemon and spices and is really, really, really good:
    https://crankingkitchen.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/braised-cod/
  • darktolight
    darktolight Posts: 226
    Options
    Wrapped in parma ham n baked with onion and courgette
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Season some breadcrumbs and mix in a little parmesan, chopped parsley and lemon zest. Dip your fish in fat free natural yoghurt then the crumb mixture and bake in a hot oven. Very very tasty!

I make baked cod similar to this, but dip in coconut milk before rolling in seasoned crumbs. I'll definitely try the yogurt next time!

I also make "poor man's lobster" with cod. Fill a pot with water, add 1/2 cup to a cup of sugar, a couple Tbsp of salt and a couple Tbsp of vinegar. Bring to a boil, add cod and let cook about 20 minutes or until the fish pieces float to the top. Dip in butter. Yum!! (There's a lot of different recipes online for this. I learned this one from my step-dad who was an Alaskan fisherman.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If I'm being "good" I just do an egg wash and dredge them in a little flower and pan fry in a little avocado oil. If I'm being "bad"...which is usually the case, I beer batter them and deep fry them and and then I make a kick *kitten* chipotle slaw and some homemade salsa fresca and rock some tacos.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    ml86jfy8zego.jpg
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is making me hungry for some delicious fish. These recipes all sound so yummy!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love this tomato caper sauce for any white fish. Just pan fry or broil and top it with the sauce.
  • gagnon9691
    Options
    Cod wasn't even in my plans for dinner last night, but once I got to the store it was looking good and on sale so I picked some up but once I got home I realized I didn't know how to prepare it so that's why I made it so boring. I figured someone here could help me out. I might have it again tonight or soon with some of these suggestions.
    Ok, this is making me hungry for some delicious fish. These recipes all sound so yummy!

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Goan fish curry.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If I'm being "good" I just do an egg wash and dredge them in a little flower and pan fry in a little avocado oil. If I'm being "bad"...which is usually the case, I beer batter them and deep fry them and and then I make a kick *kitten* chipotle slaw and some homemade salsa fresca and rock some tacos.

Ohh god yes, if I'm being 'bold', I'll make a guinness battered cod with proper chunky deep fried chips, roasted garlic mayo dip, homemade floury baps mmmmyummy!!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I marinate it for about 15 minutes in 1/4 cup orange juice, the juice from 1 lime and some lime zest, a little chili powder and cumin, salt and pepper. Then I bake it at 375 for 10-15 minutes (until flaky) and make it in to fish TACOS. I love tacos. I generally use the same spices and citrus to make a citrus slaw that goes on top the fish. Sometimes I add some diced mango.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh, sometimes I just season (cajun or just adobo) and pan fry on both sides then make fish tacos with spicy pickle tartar sauce, plenty of slaw, jalapeno, cilantro and lime on warmed corn tortillas. I forget about them in the winter, but I think I need some fish tacos this weekend.
  • saharris1965
    saharris1965 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I make a parchment paper packet with cod, sweet mini peppers, onion, garlic, mushrooms, sometimes hot pepper, salt and pepper. Sometimes I use old bay seasoning instead of salt and pepper. Then I bake it.

sounds amazing!!