ways to cut cholesterol and raise potassium?

Options
I'm always over my cholesterol goal, which to me is drastically low. But I love eggs!
Also need to step it up in potassium. Any suggestions? Do I have to give up eggs? How important is it that I chill on the cholesterol? I don't have high blood pressure or high cholesterol levels so i'm not too worried. but i don't want to sabotage my weight loss either. Help!

Replies

• landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It sounds like "they" aren't as sure as they used to be about how dietary cholesterol affects overall cholesterol levels. You might want to get yourself tested to see what your cholesterol levels are if it's a concern. You might be just fine.

As for potassium, supplements aren't that great, but things like potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas and cantaloupe are good sources. I'm trying to up my potassium levels to bring my blood pressure down.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Because food manufacturers in the U.S. aren't currently required to include potassium levels in their nutrition labels (which are the source for most user-created entries in the MFP database), many of the MFP entries lack information for potassium, so you may be getting a lot more than you think.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Forget about the cholesterol. Eat the eggs and anything else that is working for you.
  • breezy0906
    breezy0906 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Because food manufacturers in the U.S. aren't currently required to include potassium levels in their nutrition labels (which are the source for most user-created entries in the MFP database), many of the MFP entries lack information for potassium, so you may be getting a lot more than you think.

Oh wow! I didn't know that! thanks!
  • megan116xo
    megan116xo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Cheese and meats are also high in cholesterol. Again I wouldnt worry about the weightloss aspect but if you are worried this number will come out in blood work.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you don't have high blood cholesterol, don't stress about eating cholesterol in your diet. It does not have any bearing on weight loss. Most of your blood cholesterol comes from stress, not food. It sounds like you are chill, so all is good.

I agree, eggs are good.

If you insist on reducing your food cholesterol, you may eat just the egg whites. But you also miss out on all the lovely vitamins in the yolk (A, E, and D).