Foot pain - Plantar fasciitis

Options
Hi all,

Has anyone has this and if so, how long did it take to shake off?

I picked up a mild niggle in my heel running the weekend before last, so l took it easy during training last week as I had a half marathon on the Sunday. Completed the race without any issues, but it started to feel worse after completing and spread from the heel to my arch. I've looked at some stretches that are supposed to help (including calf stretches - they have been quite tight the last few weeks), but I don't feel any improvement there - in fact I think it might be feeling worse. I've given myself the week to rest and recover but and I'm starting to get really stressed out and fed up with not being able to do anything for fear of damaging myself further and not being able to run for months.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Pan x

Replies

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It would be extremely good to see your primary car physician about this. Often it is not something trivial that can be shaken off.

My spouse developed plantar faciitis over a year ago and still has it. The healing can be a long term process or it can be chronic. Or you might be fortunate and resolve it in a month or so, with medical follow-ups to ensure you are doing what you should.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I was planning on going to see someone if I hadn't felt any improvement by the end of the weekend.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had it off and on for several years. This last flare has been on-going for almost 9 months. I've seen PCM and podiatrist, done 3 months of physical therapy, worn night splint, used medication etc. It still isn't resolved but at least tolerable.
  • amberstites
    amberstites Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work for a podiatrist and sometimes surgery is needed to correct it, if all conservative methods haven't worked. Go see someone for sure you may just need a steroid injection.
    Good Luck!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was going to say over a year. Mine resolved with weight loss but I stay vigilant. Having the correct shoe and insert will help. You might have to change your gait.

And dynamic stretching after a run. Don't skip that.

http://www.chrismcdougall.com/born-to-run/
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Had it for years.Only way I find relief is to stretch it.Try and pull your toes up towards your shin bone.Anti inflammatories help too.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My dad used to run 7 miles a day until he got plantar fasciitis and couldn't even aerobically walk anymore. He tried special shoes, socks, a splint, rolling on a frozen water bottle, stretching and nothing really alleviated it. I bought him this ball on Amazon and after a few days his pain was gone, and he's back to speed walking (put on some weight after he couldn't run anymore so he can't run again yet) with no issues!
  • kj3qs1
    kj3qs1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had it for over a year. I would tape my arch everyday and that really helped. It went away as I lost weight.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I have had PF a severe one couple of years back.

Do you have hard time stepping on the floor the 1st time you getup in the morning? That's a strong PF indication.

Your best bet is if it persist talk to a foot doctor/podiatrist/sports doctor.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Voltaren Emulgel as a topical anti-inflammatory.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I had it for nine months. Thought it would never go away. Cortisone shot made it worse. What helped was physical therapy. See if there is a physical therapist near you who does Astym. It's 90% effective for plantar fasciitis.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have it. If you google Plantar Fasciitis and you'll see some stretches that are recommended that will help. Make sure you're wearing shoes with good arch supports. If it lasts any time at all, go see a podiatrist. FOr most people, PF will resolve itself in less about 6 months. In my case, it took much longer and I needed cortizone shots, physical therapy and orthodics.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I work for a podiatrist and sometimes surgery is needed to correct it, if all conservative methods haven't worked. Go see someone for sure you may just need a steroid injection.
    Good Luck!!

My podiatrist asked me to wait and continue with stretching exercises she recommended. Later she gave me a cast that I had to wear in the night when I slept.

She only once mentioned surgery but said she would reserve it as the most last option.

Regarding steroid injection - I had a race and she suggested to let go of that race and postpone it to next year (she gave a note for race director to consider) but said if I must race she is willing to give steroid injection but was not very fond of it.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor. It might not be plantar fasciitis (although it sounds like it). One of my running friends on here did their first half a couple of weeks ago and turned out they had a stress fracture in one of the bones in their foot.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    OMG – I was never bothered by plantar fasciitis until the last 12 months. I did a lot of the usual home remedies – ice treatments, sole supports etc.

I now see a podiatrist – she wanted to give me a cortisone shot – but I passed for now; I did get some relief with Dr Scholl’s Active Series that advertised “Helps relieve & prevent pain from shin splints, runner's knee, and plantar fasciitis.”

http://www.drscholls.com/productsandbrands/activeseries.aspx

I actually did better with these inserts than the Spenco brand the doctor gave me. But that’s just me.

I still have some discomfort – but continue to do calf strengthening exercises and see the podiatrist. It was necessary for me to take a week of rest one time.

Good luck!

“Stretching your foot and calf muscles will help stretch out your plantar fascia ligament and loosen your Achilles tendon. It may take 3 to 12 months for your plantar fascia to heal completely.” According to one source.

73641431.png
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I had it not too bad, seems like the worst pain resolved after a few weeks but I only kept to regular daily activity/walking and it was gone maybe within a month or two totally. I hadn't tried to restart jogging again though so not sure if that would have made it take longer to heal. I just did the stretches my Dr. told me to do and maybe had some OTC meds.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    I have had PF a severe one couple of years back.

Do you have hard time stepping on the floor the 1st time you getup in the morning? That's a strong PF indication.

Your best bet is if it persist talk to a foot doctor/podiatrist/sports doctor.

Yep, that was the first real symptom that made me take notice.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply, and for all your advice and suggestions. I have been doing some stretches for the last couple of days, but i will definitely look at the ball, inserts and tape. Not being able to run again is a really scary prospect so I'll try anything to get it fixed :(