Not losing weight even after good diet and a lot of exercise

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well, for starters, I would think your burns are more in the 5-700 range total. Hour on an elliptical (4-500), weight training (1-200).

Elliptical machines notoriously overestimate burns. It just makes people feel better and is a marketing trick.

As for weights, I don't know where you are getting those burns as it is pretty hard to determine lifting calories burned. Most lifters only add 1 calorie in for lifting sessions.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'd say weigh your food and be diligent for the next month and only count half your exercise cals in there and see if you lose. I started weighing my food about 3 weeks ago and it's shocking how off we can be using measuring cups or eyeballing portions.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'd say weigh your food and be diligent for the next month and only count half your exercise cals in there and see if you lose. I started weighing my food about 3 weeks ago and it's shocking how off we can be using measuring cups or eyeballing portions.

And by half exercise calories, I recommend cardio only. Don't count calories for weight loss -- it has lots of benefits for body composition and well-being beyond the calorie burn.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Is it possible, that due to high level of exercise my body is used to it, and my metabolism has slowed down?

I could not explain weight gain on my keto diet eating just 1600 calories.

your body will burn slightly less with the same exercise over time as it adapts, that does not mean your metabolism is slowing just that your body has gotten more efficient at that particular exercise

as for the keto, trying a diet for one week is not enough time to truely judge any results, so you can just throw that data out the window

I workout on elliptical machine till it shows 1000 calories. I know it shoes moer, so I count it as 700. Then I do quite heavy weights. Even if I choose low value, lets say I burn 300 due to weight lifting.

So total burnt =1000 calories.

A HRM is the best estimate of calories burned in steady state cardio. If you don't have that option I would find an online calculator where you can input your weight, time of the exercise, and distance covered.

Burns from weight lifting are not as impressive as one would think and IMO you are logging too many calories for that. Unfortunately, when it come to weightlifting there is just not a very reliable way to measure the burns form it. FWIW I weight lift for about 45 minutes at a time (full body compound lifts routine) and log it as 50 calories burned.
    Even if I tak half of this 500 cal, I should still lose SOME weight !!!

I know it is frustrating but tighten up your logging for intake and exercise and hopefully you will see things get back on track.

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing any weight for that period of time I would suggest the following:

1. Tighten up logging, make sure you are weighing everything.
    2. Bring your calories down by a couple hundred, wait a month see if anything happens. If you start losing you weren't really eating at a deficit before.

I know my fitbit overestimates my exercise burns and MFP even more. I spent a long time tracking and seeing how much I lost and determined my "real" TDEE is about 1700 and if I cut to 1450 I lose about 0.5 lb a week.

• eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Nothing was working for me. For years. I got a Fitbit 3 weeks ago and lost 5 lbs since. I try and make sure I get AT LEAST 10,000 steps a day and stay within calorie limit. The Fitbit tells me whether or not I am under, over, or "in the zone" for amount of calories consumed (I sync it with myfitnesspal). I now workout 2-4 times a day. The Fitbit makes it fun because you can compete with other people. I truly believe this is what is going to get me to my goal.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your overall activity is less than you think. in my experience not being able to lose is a function of daily activities. Doing chores, walking instead of driving, planning activity on the weekends, getting up from my desk.

The average desk sitting adult who drives to work and to the store and gym and spends a fair amount of time in front of a computer isn't getting much over and above their exercise in activity.

How many times did you take the dog for a walk, spend an hour ironing or carry 15 pounds of groceries home from the store?

• nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP, don't get discouraged by your plateau or a slight weight gain. In my experience, water weight is usually the culprit. As long as you are eating and exercising right, you are doing just fine.

Besides waiting it out, I suggest reducing your intake slightly just to see how your body responds over time.

I went a good month barely losing anything, and then a bunch of pounds seemed to melt off over night the next month! I was so upset and ready to quit, but eventually my body let go of those pounds. I also decided to lower my calorie intake by 50 calories (hard at first, but it got easier), which definitely helped in the long run.

Don't be afraid to play around with your calorie intake. You gotta be flexible.

Also, might I suggest getting a Heart Rate Monitor to get a better estimate of your calorie burn? I used a Polar FT4, and I love it. I do leave a margin of error, though, so I only log 85% of what calories the HRM says I burn. The HRM is going to tell you how hard your body is working during a workout, with the added bonus of giving you a much more accurate (though not 100% correct) calorie burn estimate.
  • mdmess2013
    mdmess2013 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Onlyruchi20,
    An easy way to get fairly accurate calorie counts is to purchase an inexpensive heart rate monitor that can bluetooth to your cell phone. I use the Wahoo TICKR and it works great (about $60 on Amazon). If you download a free app like Digifit, it will upload your daily calorie burns to MFP automatically.

If you do this while actually measuring your food and calories, you would get a pretty solid answer for your true CICO numbers. It has worked great for me (I'm down a steady 11 lbs in 30 days).

Keep up the good work, just tweak your recordkeeping!! Good luck!
  • scarlett9579
    Options
    Ok, I will log everything from now, and open my diary.

I workout on elliptical machine till it shows 1000 calories. I know it shoes moer, so I count it as 700. Then I do quite heavy weights. Even if I choose low value, lets say I burn 300 due to weight lifting.

I have a very simple vegetarian diet. I have to actually push myself to eat to 2000. Some days I eat only 1700 or so.

Even if I am underestimating my eating, lets say I actually am eating 2500 when I think Im eating 2000. then minus burnt : 2500-1000 = 1000 deficit.

But the scale doesnt budge:(

If you consume 2500 calories and only burn 1000, you are not consuming a deficit. That is unless there is something I am missing...
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I have a very simple vegetarian diet. I have to actually push myself to eat to 2000. Some days I eat only 1700 or so.

Even if I am underestimating my eating, lets say I actually am eating 2500 when I think Im eating 2000. then minus burnt : 2500-1000 = 1000 deficit.

If you consume 2500 calories and only burn 1000, you are not consuming a deficit. That is unless there is something I am missing...

Just being alive takes calories too. If one "burns" 1,000 working out (which I highly, highly doubt OP is doing), you still need calories to run your body the rest of the day. Someone who is truly eating 2,500 and burning 1,000 exercising could still run at a deficit depending on their BMR.

I don't, however, think that is happening here.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    for a woman, that's a lot of calories. I think it's probably time to cut back.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Eye opening video regarding the importance of weighing your food. It's really easy to underestimate the calories you are consuming.

• adinapetreus
    adinapetreus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Guys the best thing about keto is that you dont really need to exercise. Firs i use keto with intermintent fasting (IT) and High intensity interval trainning (HIIT). One of the problems of not loosing the weigh expected might be because you are not giving your body chance to eliminate those fats and toxins. How best to do so..true urine...so my advice to you drink a lot of water.Between 3-4 liters/day... Another thing..the problem is not the intake of calories but what and how you eat.you may need to lower your carb more...remember that some people even without consuming any carbs their bodies already stores theem for couple of days...so might reduce carbs to 0 for 2-3 days and then start with 5-10% carbs 15-20% protein and 80-75% fat..make sure adds up to a 100%.if you are not strict with this and you not plan your food..you may never reach that sweet point of loosing weight like a fat burning machine...good luck !
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    One of the problems of not loosing the weigh expected might be because you are not giving your body chance to eliminate those fats and toxins. Another thing..the problem is not the intake of calories but what and how you .remember that some people even without consuming any carbs their bodies already stores theem for couple of days...so might reduce carbs to 0 for 2-3 days and then start with 5-10% carbs 15-20% protein and 80-75% fat..make sure adds up to a 100%.if you.

So much wrong in such a short post.

What toxins will a keto diet release? Is a 0% carb diet really good for anyone?

But most importantly, how would your macros possibly not add up to 100%? What foods could I choose to wind up lower or higher?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but you are overestimating your calorie burns. Weight lifting does not burn 300 calories in a session, and the elliptical machines WAY overestimate.

You don't just log your food, but you need to weigh it as well and ensure you are using accurate entries. Read packages and look calorie counts up on the USDA website.

Good luck. :)

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Is it possible, that due to high level of exercise my body is used to it, and my metabolism has slowed down?

I could not explain weight gain on my keto diet eating just 1600 calories.

Not as to your question.

Type of diet has nothing to do with weight loss. Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight.
  • coyhaven
    coyhaven Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You might need a good nutritional cleanse...when we lose fat we need to cleanse and get rid of the toxins or the fat will come back...I take a cleanse drink at nite it help a lot now at 65lbs lost....yeah me!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    coyhaven wrote: »
    You might need a good nutritional cleanse...when we lose fat we need to cleanse and get rid of the toxins or the fat will come back...I take a cleanse drink at nite it help a lot now at 65lbs lost....yeah me!

This is completely, totally, and utterly untrue.

What toxins will make you gain weight without excess calories?

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi there. Guys the best thing about keto is that you dont really need to exercise. Firs i use keto with intermintent fasting (IT) and High intensity interval trainning (HIIT). One of the problems of not loosing the weigh expected might be because you are not giving your body chance to eliminate those fats and toxins. How best to do so..true urine...so my advice to you drink a lot of water.Between 3-4 liters/day... Another thing..the problem is not the intake of calories but what and how you eat.you may need to lower your carb more...remember that some people even without consuming any carbs their bodies already stores theem for couple of days...so might reduce carbs to 0 for 2-3 days and then start with 5-10% carbs 15-20% protein and 80-75% fat..make sure adds up to a 100%.if you are not strict with this and you not plan your food..you may never reach that sweet point of loosing weight like a fat burning machine...good luck !

om.gif

Solid first post