Pressure Cookers

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
Anybody got one? Do you like it? What do you make with it? Just trying to decide if I should buy one and what I can make if I do. Can I do a meal in it or can I only cook one thing at a time? Thanks!

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Options
    somebody? anybody?
  • kgmcgee
    kgmcgee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have one. It's great for cooking meats fast. I use it to make rice as well. Comes out perfect every time. I have not made a meal in it as everything usually has different cooking times.
  • RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash is great in a pressure cooker! Also works well for green beans or potatoes. It cooks things very evenly. Not sure about a full meal, though. Most things have different cooking times, and some things would be over or under done.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it. Meat cooks quickly and fall-apart tender. Plus, I can't cook rice if I life depended on it and a pressure cooker does it perfectly every time. I have an electric one but I can't remember the name. I went on Amazon and purchased the one with the best review.
  • townsendeverett
    Options
    I have had one for year's it usually comes with a recipe book. Stew is great in it.It is a good thing to have. It cooks quick.
  • kristinetyre
    Options
    They are also great for cooking dried beans in half the time and no overnight soaking.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Wonderful! Thanks everybody I think I will get one! I hate cooking beans because they take so long, and I just plain suck at it. Also I always forget how long some meat takes so by the time I get home I'm thinking crap I don't have time to cook that tonight.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I love my pressure cooker! I've found many recipes from http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-recipes/, she does a great job. Enjoy!
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    amcook4 wrote: »
    I love my pressure cooker! I've found many recipes from http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-recipes/, she does a great job. Enjoy!

Oh my gosh Thank you, Thank you, that's awesome.

• kgmcgee
    kgmcgee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Oooo almost forgot....you can make soups and marina sauce in there and tastes like it's been cooking all day. Also I do pot roast and carrots. They cook about the same time.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    kgmcgee wrote: »
    Oooo almost forgot....you can make soups and marina sauce in there and tastes like it's been cooking all day. Also I do pot roast and carrots. They cook about the same time.

Mmmm that's very good to know!
  • aloewsherer
    aloewsherer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love my pressure cooker. I have made the best corned beef and cabbage in it, and was able to cook the whole meal (meat, potatoes, cabbage and carrots) in the same pot just by adjusting when I added different items to the pot. There are lots of recipes on Pintrest.
  • sunnydee216
    sunnydee216 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have had one for as long as I can remember. Excellent for cooking chicken, pork, beef. Cook your meat in 15-25 minutes. Depending on the cut. I make chicken noodle, chicken and dumplings, pulled pork or beef. Possibilities are endless.
  • nam99lee
    nam99lee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Meals in a hurry! I took mine out of storage this winter and started using it again. Braised meat dishes like Korean Short Ribs w/carrots, raddish, and onions and garlic in one pot is my go to. Best part of the pressure cooker is that it will infuse what's inside w little to-no marinating. Just add a little liquid, spices, and aromatics and you're golden. Can make healthy dishes in a jiffy!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Great website. I've had mine so long and didn't realise I could do so much with it. Thanks!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I have a stovetop and electric model (InstantPot). Since I got the InstantPot, I haven't used my stovetop one or my slow cooker. I love it.

I made dry beans about weekly. I also use it for risotto, stocks, braising (pork, beef, even chicken), cheesecake (the best!), ricotta cake, soups, dulce de leche. The InstantPot is especially fantastic because of its keep warm feature, particularly for soups.

This website is great! I have her cookbook as well.

Another good choice, especially if you have an electric pressure cooker:
    http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/

Like other appliances (vitamix, stand mixer), my pressure cooker isn't something I use daily but I consider it an important part of my kitchen.
  • loisseau
    loisseau Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This site has some of the most delicious pressure cooker recipes. One in particular is the Columbian chicken, tomatoes, onions and potatoes. Four foods and a bay leaf, S&P and 25 minutes ready to plate !

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/colombian-chicken-stew-with-potatoes-tomato-onion-recipe.html
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have three of them lol. best thing ever. i make soups in them (couple pounds of dry hard lentils go from rock-hard to soft, edible in 1 hr under pressure)... so much protein.
    I use it for tough cheap cuts of meat which become super tender, even 5 lb slabs of meat become fork tender in 35 mins under pressure...you can make pulled pork in like half an hour.
    chicken thighs bone-in cook great and fast too. i cooked thighs in their chicken tikka masala marinade once for 30 minutes instead of 20 minutes....even the BONES became the consistency of Tums...just dissolved in the mouth lol yummy bone marrow

Edit: jeeez forgot the 2 most common things i use it for lol...cooking 4 cups of brown rice in like 8 minutes, and potatoes. soooo many potatoes
  • ManitobaMum
    ManitobaMum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love my Instant Pot pressure cooker. Brown rice with quinoa, ribs, fish, chicken all cook perfectly and quickly. I signed out a bunch of pressure cooker cookbooks from the library to learn tips and tricks and write out the recipes I like. Ribs are particularly good (the fat just melts off and leaves delicious meat), and you just brown them after in the oven. I bought stainless steel steamer trays for that fit inside from a local Asian grocery store so that meat cooks evenly, and the rice can cook on the bottom of the pot. The Instant Pot also has a yogurt setting, and I use that for homemade yogurt at least once a week.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Love my pressure cooker

From stews, to stocks to pasta, to rice to curry to soup, All slow cooking meat cuts.

Anything you crock pot you can Pressure cook, Just adjust liquid