can't stop peeing!

Options
kylee_elyse
kylee_elyse Posts: 23 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Sorry if TMI, but I have recently started to get serious about my weight loss (just started on Monday) and I know part of that is drinking at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. What has deterred me from doing this in the past is that when I drink that much water I just can't stop peeing! I'm talking like every 5-10 mins! Is this normal? Will it regulate after a while? TIA!! ☺️

Replies

• Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Normal I think - happened to me. Went back to normal about a week and a half in.
  • NiqueKristan
    NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Smallc10 wrote: »
    Normal I think - happened to me. Went back to normal about a week and a half in.
    Same here. You'll get used to it.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That amount of peeing might be normal if it goes away after a month of drinking that much water. You might just be drinking too much, or having too much caffeine.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you time your drinking you can time your bathroom breaks too. Try drinking a quantity and then let it make it's way through, instead of sipping constantly.

Constant thirst and peeing can be a sign of diebetes, but I don't think that is a factor here.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    It should slack off in a couple weeks. I know it's crazy annoying!
  • kylee_elyse
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That amount of peeing might be normal if it goes away after a month of drinking that much water. You might just be drinking too much, or having too much caffeine.

Haven't had any caffeine in two weeks so I don't think that's it. Maybe I just have a week bladder. Also maybe my body is just trying to get used to it? I wasn't 100% sure so I thought I'd ask. ☺️
  • kylee_elyse
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If you time your drinking you can time your bathroom breaks too. Try drinking a quantity and then let it make it's way through, instead of sipping constantly.

Constant thirst and peeing can be a sign of diebetes, but I don't think that is a factor here.

Oh good idea! That way I could better track it. My doctor actually tested me for diabetes in the past because of it. My test was perfectly normal. ☺️
  • jgnatca
    Options
    If you are making it to the bathroom in time you don't have a weak bladder. Now, to scare you,

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/overactive-bladder-syndrome
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Are you low-carbing? As your glycogen levels get rapidly depleted, your body will dump a lot of water.
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I always pee a lot after I've had a ton of sodium and then hydrate the next day. It will stop in a couple of days.
  • kylee_elyse
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If you are making it to the bathroom in time you don't have a weak bladder. Now, to scare you,

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/overactive-bladder-syndrome

Haha I've actually looked into this as well and my doc said I was ok in that sense. He said I could train my bladder by holding the urine for as long as I could. I know he's the doc, but that doesn't seem healthy to me
  • jgnatca
    Options
    The link suggests training the bladder too. It's worked for me.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    well.... for a certain amount of time limited times a day maybe, but always holding it is a way to get bladder infections, to which I say no thanks!
  • kylee_elyse
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    well.... for a certain amount of time limited times a day maybe, but always holding it is a way to get bladder infections, to which I say no thanks!

I agree. I am prone to UTI's. This doesn't seem healthy for me personally. But perhaps trying it in moderation will be ok.
  • kylee_elyse
    edited March 2015
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Are you low-carbing? As your glycogen levels get rapidly depleted, your body will dump a lot of water.

I don't think I'm low carb-ing. Carbs are usually my biggest chunk of the graph. I'm still learning the ins and outs of eating a balanced diet.
  • orlandodenise
    orlandodenise Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Whenever Im really strict, up the level of exercise and drinks loads - I do go to the bathroom a lot more and tend to find that is indicative of larger weight loss for that week :)
  • kylee_elyse
    Options
    Whenever Im really strict, up the level of exercise and drinks loads - I do go to the bathroom a lot more and tend to find that is indicative of larger weight loss for that week :)

Well that's always a good thing! I can get down with that.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am looking for the science on this one, but I will post the bro-science version in the meantime.

I have read, somewhere, most likely after Googling something along the lines of "Drinking more water, peeing constantly" that the body adapts to the amount of water it is used to having. So when you suddenly decide to give it more, it sort of goes, 'Woah hang on, I don't really know what I want to do with all of this just yet' so you urinate more often. But if you continue to hydrate at this new higher level your body will adjust and you won't run to the bathroom every 20 min.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Sorry if TMI, but I have recently started to get serious about my weight loss (just started on Monday) and I know part of that is drinking at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. What has deterred me from doing this in the past is that when I drink that much water I just can't stop peeing! I'm talking like every 5-10 mins! Is this normal? Will it regulate after a while? TIA!! ☺️
    Drink less water problem solved. Your body has a perfectly good method of telling you if it needs water. It's called thirst. The 8 glasses of water thing has no science behind it (it was actually a marketing campaign for a mineral water company before everyone started quoting it. It's just a number plucked out of thin air. Yes staying hydrated is important but don't be silly about it. If your peeing a lot your body doesn't need it

• kylee_elyse
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Drink less water problem solved. Your body has a perfectly good method of telling you if it needs water. It's called thirst. The 8 glasses of water thing has no science behind it (it was actually a marketing campaign for a mineral water company before everyone started quoting it. It's just a number plucked out of thin air. Yes staying hydrated is important but don't be silly about it. If your peeing a lot your body doesn't need it

[/quote]

That's an interesting concept. I have just always had the idea burned into my head that you need that much water to be healthy. I've never been a huge water drinker. Very interesting. I will have to look into this. Thanks. :)