What do you look for in a gym?

Options
bellaa_x0
bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
Just looking to get some feedback from everyone for what they look for when choosing a gym :) I am currently in the middle of discussions regarding opening up my own gym so it would be helpful to hear your thoughts!

Replies

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Listed in order of importance :smile:
    - Cleanliness
    - Friendly staff who know their stuff
    - An atmosphere that is not a meat market or bro-tastic
    - Variety of machines, enough machines that you don't have to wait 30 minutes constantly
    - Good classes with a variety of disciplines
  • kristen_bures
    kristen_bures Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love taking classes so my big priority is to make sure there are a lot of classes at different times during the day.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You have to decide what kind of gym you are opening. Your niche and your intended clientele. What i look for in a gym is nothing remotely close to what is offered at the vast majority of gyms.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Free weights.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Clean gym and up to date equipment.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First, figure out what your core client looks like (you can’t be all things to all people). I have three gym memberships for that very reason.

Big Box gym (location)
    - Plenty of equipment, especially cardiovascular, dumbbells, barbells, benches, and heavy-weight lifting machines (leg press, calf press, hack squat, smith machine, etc.)
    - Well maintained machines, especially cable based.
    - Well lit and clean
    - Availability of personal trainers that actually know something.
    - Variety of fitness classes (yoga, spinning, etc.)
    - Other add ons like a pool, tennis courts, etc.

Crossfit box (programming/coaching)
    - Good coaches
    - Plenty of scheduled classes (early in the morning and late into the evening).
    - Good programming

24 Hour key fob gym (convenience)
    - Location and convenience
    - Well lit with other safety features
    - Good assortment of free weights, machines and cardio
    - Availability of personal trainers that actually know something.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I enjoy classes as well but also tons and tons of free weights. I hate having to wait for the free weights I want to use and the more free weights the better.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    at least 2-3 squat racks- at least 1-2 power cages- and the ability to DL- lots of weights- properly located and well stocked weight trees.

Attentive staff- well stocked supplies- regular cleaning- reasonable fees- no ridiculous extra charges.

Location.- accessibility off main roads/large congestion points.

Dance space.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Power cages, large free weight area, clean bathrooms, sauna is a nice touch. A place that is well maintained and is clean. And of course location. I tend to stay away from small gyms, I have been a member of 3 different ones that were there one day and gone the next. Literally, go in on a Wednesday and the doors are locked saying they have closed down, this last time I had just paid for another year 2 months prior to them shutting the doors.

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    You have to decide what kind of gym you are opening. Your niche and your intended clientele. What i look for in a gym is nothing remotely close to what is offered at the vast majority of gyms.

agreed - totally understand that not all gyms are the same "type" of gym; however, still interested to see what people look for as this is only in the beginning stages of discussions
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I wanted a gym with a power cage and at least 2 squat racks, big enough free weight section that I wasn't going to be forced to only use machines.

Machines i look for - lat pull down, adjustable cables
    Cleanliness is a big one
    Nice place to stretch with mats
    Towel service is a plus
    Shower in the locker room

Things I really like about my gym - it has a lap pool, hot tub, sauna, and they offer a variety of classes at different times of the day.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hotties.
  • gsayler860
    gsayler860 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Basketball court. Love playing basketball. Full court 5 on 5 is one of my favorite cardio workouts. Of course you have to go full speed.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Variety, I go to the Ymca almost everyday and I swim, do aerobics classes, do weight training, and cardio machines. The staff is very friendly and the hours are good, and it's affordable. They have aqua zumba, water aerobics, spin, trx, Pilates, kickboxing, boot camp, zumba, muscle conditioning, yoga step, etc and more than one pool, and a lot of cardio machines, weight machines, weights, plus I can go to multiple locations with the membership.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    space, state of the art equipment, good classes, lots of cardio equipment,. water water water..pool, whirlpools, sauna, steam baths...get lockers.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Hotties.

in for the yoga pants.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Goo free weight section. Helpful and interested staff. Good free weight section. Lack of crowds and gym rats.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »

agreed - totally understand that not all gyms are the same "type" of gym; however, still interested to see what people look for as this is only in the beginning stages of discussions

If I went to a gym, I'd basically want a crossfit box that was also an open gym. I want rings, ropes, KB's, endless pull up racks, heavy things to carry, sandbags, and the basic barbell free weights.

• gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My biggest need at this time was that it was family friendly so my kids could go and have something to do while they are there. There is a kids fit room with machines and activities, open gym with staff that plays games with the kids, supervised swim times, and on a few days there are classes like yoga and zumba for ages 8-13. The classes for myself are nice.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of "raw gyms". Place to squat, deadlift, bench and all the equipment to do accessory work. Place for everyone to go in, shut up, and do work. Loud music, heavy weights, people can grunt if they need to. Where do I sign up?!