Standup Desk

Options
I work from home and log 9-11 hours a day sitting in front of a computer. I recently read a report that said sitting for long periods is bad for you. Common sense tells us the same thing, no?

Standup Desks are expensive. I tried creating my own, but didn't like the looks of the finished product and it wasn't easy to go from sitting to standing.

I came across a product from Varidesk that works great and simply sits on top of my existing desk. The best part was no assembly required. I have been using it for about a month and am very happy with the product.

I have no affiliation with Varidesk, just a happy customer.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Just like you shouldn’t sit all day, you also shouldn’t stand all day (just ask a nurse, pharmacist, store clerk, etc.) what that does to you. It is better to be moving throughout the day.

I have an adjustable desk in my office. It allows me to adjust it from standing to very low sitting. When I’m sitting, I’m on a stability ball. I switch between the two several times per day.

Things I’ve seen recommended for people with just standing desks:
    - Take regular breaks and walk around.
    - Walk around when on the phone.
    - Have a box under the desk and do the Captain Morgan stand (one foot up, one on the floor).
    - Do some bodyweight squats, burpees, and/or have a pull up bar in your home office.
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Great points Allan, thank you!

I agree, I couldn't tolerate standing all day. Thankfully, the device I bought allows me to easily raise or lower it. I guess the title I choose was incorrect, a better title would have been adjustable desk.

I like the idea of using a stability ball instead of a desk chair, I think I will try it.

• davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Things I’ve seen recommended for people with just standing desks:
    - Take regular breaks and walk around.
    - Walk around when on the phone.
    - Have a box under the desk and do the Captain Morgan stand (one foot up, one on the floor).
    - Do some bodyweight squats, burpees, and/or have a pull up bar in your home office.

These are good recommendations for those of us with sitting desk too!

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

I agree, I couldn't tolerate standing all day. Thankfully, the device I bought allows me to easily raise or lower it. I guess the title I choose was incorrect, a better title would have been adjustable desk.

I like the idea of using a stability ball instead of a desk chair, I think I will try it.

Come back and check in. I’m betting you see some great improvements in posture and health. I did.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I got an adjustable workstation at my office. Best thingn ever. Would have gladly paid for it out of my pocket
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Interesting to read this. There are 4 standing desks at my workplace.

One gets used all the time.
    One, the guy just sits in a tall chair all the time. To be fair, he's like 6'5", so he might just be much more comfortable at a very tall desk.
    Two were abandoned by the people who requested them - they actually moved cubicles after campaigning for standing desks because they found them so uncomfortable and annoying to use.

None of ours are adjustable, though. That might make a difference.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I built my own at work. They finally broke down and got me an electronic adjustable one (guess they didnt like the aesthetics of my home built one :) ). BEST THING EVER.

I alternate throughout the day between sitting and standing. While standing I usually have headphones on and am "dancing" in place instead of standing still. I pace while I think.

At home I alternative between 3 chairs - a regular one, a stability ball (on a stand so it doesnt keep rolling away when not in use) and a kneeling one.
    -
    - I just have a really hard time staying in one position very long :)
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I work at a university in their physiotherapy program (as an administrator). One of our researchers did her PhD on this subject, and uses a standing desk. Our admin assistant also has the veridesk sit-to-stand and it works fantastic. There is lots of scientific research on the benefits. I would actually consider it for myself but I don't think it will fit in my office.
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I also have a varidesk and love it. When I stand, I'm not just standing, I'm fidgeting, changing feet, etc. I notice that my back and legs feel much better at the end of the day when I stand for a few hours instead of sitting the entire time.
  • MelancholyRose
    Options
    I created my own "standing desk" out of a wire storage shelf and it works amazing for the purpose. Not to mention it can withstand heavy loads and I can keep my printer and books and things on it, too.

It is bad for you to sit all day, or stand all day. What I got was a walking treadmill. I walked on that thing every day for hours on end all day long. Unfortunately, the thing broke. So I sent it back to get a replacement. Walking all day every day on that one broke it too.

So what I did after the second one broke was get a anti-fatigue mat for my feet, which is a soft, memory foam like mat that keeps your back from aching at the end of the day. Instead of walking on the treadmill, I spend all day just marching/walking in place. You learn to become to accustomed to it that after doing it for a while, you don't even notice it anymore. I just walk in place on the mat and I still get exercise/burn calories every day. I don't have to adjust between sitting and standing or anything like that. I get cardio work done while getting actual work done.

I haven't gone back to sitting at a desk, and I never will again.
  • HappyTrails7
    Options
    Interesting and encouraging replies everyone, thank you!
  • HappyTrails7
    Options

Come back and check in. I’m betting you see some great improvements in posture and health. I did.

I picked up a stability ball yesterday at lunch, no slouching with this thing.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

Did you get one of those stability ball-chair hybrids or are you just using a ball?
  • HappyTrails7
    Options

Did you get one of those stability ball-chair hybrids or are you just using a ball?

I'm just using the ball as I thought it would be able to do double duty in the gym as well as being used in the office.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Just like you shouldn’t sit all day, you also shouldn’t stand all day (just ask a nurse, pharmacist, store clerk, etc.) what that does to you.

Thank you. Standing all day (or night) is so brutal. The ache, stiffness and fatigue after the shift is practically unbearable at times. I couldn't believe when I saw the title of this thread. Someone wanting a standup desk! The envy I feel for people who can sit all day!!!!

Believe me, as someone that has a 8-10 hr a day desk job and a 45 minute driving commute on either side of that you would not envy sitting all day for very long.

As I mentioned above, my employer provided the adjustable workstation I have but I would have gladly paid the $2-3k out of pocket for it seeing how much it helps.
  • ZebsterBC
    ZebsterBC Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have a sit/stand platform at work and I found it hard to adjust to at first. It wasn't until I started working out at the gym that I could stand all day at it without muscles in my back becoming fatigued.
    I do still alternate between sitting and standing, because even with 4 thickness of anti fatigue matting it's hard on my feet.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    As was mentioned, neither sitting nor standing all day is good for your health. After researching sitting disease quite a bit, my plan is to constantly be changing positions. Sit for a bit, then stand, walk a bit, and sit down for a bit again. Don't sit when I can stand and I don't stand when I can move. I do have a desk job, but I've trained myself to stand up and stretch (or walk for a minute or two) every 15 minutes or so. It's a great way to problem solve when I'm stuck on something.

A group of MFP friends inspired this website, devoted to helping people sit less and move more. We are Quitting the Sitting and we hope you will join us!

http://www.quittingthesitting.com

kaftdhdt1z5e.jpg
  • elet27
    elet27 Posts: 8
    Options
    Wow this is awesome! You can also try a program that might work for you, I've been on this program for more than 3 weeks now and I'm really loving it. I want share it so that everyone can achieve their desired weight goal http://www.nourishweightlossandwellness.com/six-weeks-to-slim-healthy-program/
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I use one at work for all computer related activities which is about 3/4 of the day. I sit while on the phone or researching printed documents or sometimes stand for that too. One of the benefits that happened is when I was stuck at the DC and Dallas airports standing in line for hours, my endurance had increased as a result of the standing desk and it made the whole experience not as bad. So I would highly recommend the standing desk as an option or addition to your current situation.
    I am glad you found an inexpensive option. Thank you for sharing about that!
  • gypsychic33
    gypsychic33 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have good shoes! I have a standing desk at work and I also walk back and forth at work a lot! Good shoes are a must or you will stand crooked!