Thyroid cancer survivor

Options
Morning all. I was wondering if there were any Thyroid Cancer Survivors out there? Wondering if you have lost weight after TT and what you have done to do that.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• catharineaf
    catharineaf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thyroid cancer survivor here — actually just diagnosed at the start of January, TT in mid-January and just started meds a couple days ago. I gained a lot of weight in the past couple of years pre-diagnosis, despite efforts to keep it off. Still, I'm new to this whole thing and just don't want to let my lack of a thyroid derail my weight any further.

I've just started the paleo autoimmune protocol after doing a lot of reading up and will see how things go as I work toward getting meds levelled.

What have you been doing to date? Any one approach work better than others for you?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Not me but my wife. Stage 2 papillary with a TT and most of the lymph nodes in her neck removed. She's going on about 10 years post-op. She's been on levothyroxine for years and it seems to be working OK. She's got annual follow-up visits to keep an eye on her various levels. There's still a bit of something lurking somewhere that is making low levels of hormone but no scans have ever found it.

She had lost ~50 pounds years before and has been pretty successful with maintaining her weight. She just has to be careful with how much she eats and keeps a close watch on the scale. She doesn't follow any particular diet besides cooking for all of us barbarians. ;)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Thyroid meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I lost just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burned. Logging works.
  • sassyhobbsy
    sassyhobbsy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Five year survivor. Follicular Cancer with multiple tumors, the largest was the size of a large lemon and was crushing my windpipe. I also have PCOS and Hashimoto's, and was recently diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (I thought from obesity, but more from the anatomy of my mouth and nose, go figure!).

It's not an easy road. I gained about 100 pounds, started gaining about a year before diagnosis, and it took almost a full 10 months to be fully diagnosed (two negative biopsies). The largest tumor was growing and crushing my windpipe, so they removed it December 2009. Didn't find cancer, but my surgeon was still suspicious and asked the pathologist to double check. Pathologist found it on Christmas Eve 2009.

To be honest? This has been a long and arduous road of success/maintain/lose momentum and regain the weight and then some. Maybe it's just a combination of the other health problems I have, but I am having the hardest time getting the weight off. I can usually get about 15-20 pounds off within a few months, but I work in accounting and the stress of work ultimately gets to me and I slack off, only to find myself back at square one.

All I can say is don't give up. Log your food, and find support. I never really knew what it felt like to personally know someone who went through what I've been through until my sister was diagnosed with Papillary Stage II Thyroid Cancer in the fall of 2013. It has bonded us like nothing else, and given us both courage and comfort more times than I can count. Finding a small group of people who understand what you're going through but will still push you is key, in my experience. Even now, I'll call my sister, or she'll call me, frustrated with our physical limitations. We cry together, vent, then tell each other to pick ourselves up and try again tomorrow. My cancer taught me that I am strong. I am a fighter. I'm not a quitter. And I won't give up until I've reached my goal to be healthier and lighter.

I've done a lot of extensive research regarding thyroid cancer, feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions. We are survivors, we'll survive this journey too. :smile:
  • loveskinny27
    loveskinny27 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    In process of survival please feel free to add me as I'd like support from fellow thyroid survivors please let me know ur a survivor when adding me x
  • jms1739
    jms1739 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    A 4 year survivor here. Had papillary carcinoma, on one side, which was thankfully removed completely with surgery. With no further nodules forming.

I also wait an hour after I take my medicine before I eat. Not sure if this really works, happened to ready somewhere that this gave the medicine time to absorb, so I have been doing it.

I had a hard time getting the diet right for me. But last year I cut my carbs to no more than 25g in a 4 hour period, and have lost almost 70lbs. I also walk up to 5 miles 3-4 times a week. Like everyone else has mentioned, keep at it. In the end it is for the rest of your life, and you will find the combination that clicks for your body.

Anyone can feel free to add me, let me know also that you are a thyroid survivor. I am on everyday.

Best of luck everyone.

• kerritastic
    kerritastic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi thyca survivior, 4 years! I also had parathyroids removed so I have hypocalcemia. Looking for friends to go through life with that know the struggle