Buffalo burgers.....have you had them yet??

Options
gailygail99
gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
I love Buffalo Burgers!! I stopped eating ground beef and switched to either ground turkey or ground buffalo/bison. It is better for you and just tastes better. I eat them usually once a week and sometimes twice. With grilled onions and low-fat cheese. If you havent tried them yet, go for it. I just cook them in my grill pan with some canola spray, cracked black pepper and garlic and the onions. So good!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• remaho80
    remaho80 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love buffalo burgers! Yummy! I also LOVE elk and moose (yes...moose)! Way better than ground beef!
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    Bison burgers rock!
  • hatesexercise
    Options
    I know they are much leaner than hamburger and better for you but WHERE do you buy them?
  • gailygail99
    Options
    I love buffalo burgers! Yummy! I also LOVE elk and moose (yes...moose)! Way better than ground beef!

agree! i am not sure where to get Elk around where i live though. Hmm..maybe i could get it in a restaurant, but i never saw it in the store before. i will def look for it though...thanks for the suggestions!!

Buffalo burgers rule!!
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Love them as much as Turkey burgers and I'm a picky eater. First time I had them I didn't even notice (friends didn't tell me because of my 'trying new food' issues). And they were FABULOUS.
  • gailygail99
    Options
    I know they are much leaner than hamburger and better for you but WHERE do you buy them?

Well, i can get it ground and in a 1lb package at my grocery store, Wegmans. There is also an actual Bison Ranch near where I live where you can really get it fresh. I would look on line for places in your area. I hope that you can find it. I also know that you can buy it on line from Home Shopping Channel by Tony Little, although I never had it before. I like to make my own burgers and stuff.
  • mirapaigew
    mirapaigew Posts: 107
    Options
    I had a bison burger when I lived in Alaska. That's all. lol
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Never try but want to can't seem to find in.store. I have one more store of will try before ordering on line.
  • gailygail99
    Options
    I hope that you guys can find it in your stores!!! It has a sweeter taste I think than beef. AND it really doesnt shrink, cause it doesnt have alot of fat! i want one right now!!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Awsome meat!

:happy:
  • remaho80
    remaho80 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    agree! i am not sure where to get Elk around where i live though. Hmm..maybe i could get it in a restaurant, but i never saw it in the store before. i will def look for it though...thanks for the suggestions!!

Buffalo burgers rule!!

We usually get it from friends who actually shot them, but we've also gotten it at custom meat packing places. It's easier to find than it used to be due to there being more elk raised on elk farms.

As far as where to buy the buffalo burgers, I've bought them at Costco before. I've also seen ground buffalo at health food stores.
  • gailygail99
    Options
    We usually get it from friends who actually shot them, but we've also gotten it at custom meat packing places. It's easier to find than it used to be due to there being more elk raised on elk farms.

As far as where to buy the buffalo burgers, I've bought them at Costco before. I've also seen ground buffalo at health food stores.
    [/quote]

Oh ok. We have deer here, but no elk. At least I dont think so! lol
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I lived near a buff.... wait... really? Hmm, ok, the last 2 places I lived I lived real near a buffalo farm, the previous one had an onsite store open certain hours if you wanted to just pick something up for a meal or pre-order a quarter/side for the freezer. The most recent one they were basically in my backyard but I've never seen them actually for sale locally. First tried buffalo when I was up in the Yukon. They really don't shrink much, unlike the grilled sirloin burger I had for dinner tonight, it shrank about half in size which i thought was weird since it claimed to be extra lean...

Driving between the city and the farm there's at least one custom meat processor that sells elk and similar game meats but I've never stopped there, they've got about the worst location for a driveway I've ever seen, right at the crest of a hill where people are always eager to pass one way or the other, and the road doesn't widen out with a turning lane to get in there so I'll just have to do without or see if they will deliver to a different spot.
  • FAMILY02184
    FAMILY02184 Posts: 44
    Options
    never tried them or heard of them. can you buy them at a stop and shop grocery store? I had turkey burger the other day made it with my homemade ITALIAN sauce it was ok...............................Its hard for me to let go of beef...
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have never had one but I so want to try it! We haven't been able to find any in our local grocery stores. *sad face* I may have to look online!! Is it expensive?
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It cost more than beef, but more and more places are carrying it. Try your local coop or CSA. Also, let your local grocers know you want it. They may have a source t get it.
  • cicadagirl
    cicadagirl Posts: 51
    Options
    One of the best hamburgers I ever had was made with buffalo. Mmmm mmm!
  • gailygail99
    Options
    I get mine at my grocery store, Wegman's. They did sell it at another grocery store but it was more $ and I guess no one bought it anymore as I stopped seeing it. I think that it is $5.99 or $6.99 for 1lb. I cant remember. I think at the Buffalo farm by me it is around the same or a little more. I havent been there yet. I think that you can buy it on line though. I just love it!
  • divefin
    divefin Posts: 1
    Options
    You can get them at whole foods.
  • jeniam1
    jeniam1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I was talking to a few people about how good they were at work today. I am lucky and can get them from my dad's butcher shop. I have also seen them in the grocery stories such as Genaurdis and Acme. I believe the brand they are under may be Laura's lean. Good luck everyone!