Are protein shakes good for women...??

californiagirl10
californiagirl10 Posts: 57
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
I have been considering protien meal shakes but, I don't want to BULK up lol.... I wanna have a rockin body not be a body builder lol... are they good for women? If you sooo which types are best in your opinion

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I drink protein shakes (Muscle Milk is my fave) after the gym and occasionally for breakfast if I'm in a rush.

As long as you don't get the "mass gain" stuff, you won't bulk up. No worries. I like them because they aren't too high in calories if mixed with water and they have a nice amount of protein in them. They're exactly what our bodies need after we workout.
  • I will look into that for sure =)
  • Amers85
    Amers85 Posts: 31 Member
    I drink a protein shake everyday after I get home from the gym. I don't like them mixed with water so I mix the powder with skim milk. If I am looking for something else I will throw in some fruit and make a smoothie. It took me a while to find a powder I liked but I can be a little picky.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    You should not be afraid of protein. If you are working out, (weightlifting, running, bike, etc.) protein helps you. It gives you energy and it helps your body recover after a workout.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Think about it, there are guys who spend hours in the gym trying to bulk up and can't add a pound of muscle, what makes you think you'll gain muscle by taking a protien shake? It's hard to build muscle.
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    They are good if you are low on intake of protein. As to worry of "bulking up" it won't happen. The men and women who are built like that have to work their butts off to get there. Same goes with weights we on lifting will not get huge just lean. As to protein do some research because some of "meal" bars have crazy amounts of sugar and some of the powders are pretty high in heavy metals.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    In the new rules of lifting(lift like a man - look like a godess) by Lou Schuler he recommends using whey protein powder. I agree - look for one that does not have all sorts of bulking, thermogenic additives......

I use it after my gym sessions to help my body with recovery.
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Yes as others stated they are good for you and wont make you bulk up. I use them after workouts. I have only tried one and its the GNC Lean Muscle Meal Shake chocolate and I use milk never tried with water thats just seems nasty to me :) I feel like Im cheating and drinking a milkshake so good.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    after i have a hard workout, especially if i am under cals for the day, i will have a protein shake. i use Isopure Whey Protein Isolate in Dutch Chocolate. It is sugar free and very low carb. One scoop only has 110 cals and has 25g of protein. I mix mine with water and love it!! i only have it after i workout. i never use it for a meal replacement though, as that is not what it is intended for.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    This is a huge misconception. I make a protein shake every day after the gym. ON Whey Protein with some almond milk and fruit. It has plenty of extra benefits. Search online for some good articles or even ask the staff at your gym to help explain it to you. They are a great benefit to anyones routine!

Good luck!
  • oceans30
    oceans30 Posts: 2 Member
    Yes, protein shakes are great for women. I use a carb free protein shake by Nature's Best, Zero Carb Isopure, after I workout. I mix one scoop of the powder with water in a shaker cup. I find that Alpine Punch is the best flavor. It's not going to be your favorite treat but it will give you the recovery and nutrition you need without the calorie and carb/sugar load of other drinks. I've had great results and I wish you all the best!
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    YES! I use the Isopure Zero. 50 grams of protein and no carbs or sugars in 2 scoops. It comes in many flavors.

http://www.theisopurecompany.com/

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    YES! I use the Isopure Zero. 50 grams of protein and no carbs or sugars in 2 scoops. It comes in many flavors.

http://www.theisopurecompany.com/

Best wishes :flowerforyou:

YES, the Isopure is the best. Although sometimes I just do one scoop, still has lots of protein and vitamins and nutrients and the no sugar is great!! What flavors have you had? I've just had Dutch Choc.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Be careful of the protein shakes you buy at GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, etc.... They are full of artificial flavors, sweeteners and colors. Some were exposed of having high levels of arsenic in them (such as muscle milk). Try to get an all natural protein shake without artificial flavors, sweeteners and colors. Good luck.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Be careful of the protein shakes you buy at GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, etc.... They are full of artificial flavors, sweeteners and colors. Some were exposed of having high levels of arsenic in them (such as muscle milk). Try to get an all natural protein shake without artificial flavors, sweeteners and colors. Good luck.

Please tell me we aren't going to go through ANOTHER round of MM bashing. There are a lot of people who use it (I'm one of them!), who like it and find it to be a very helpful key in their success. I'm very picky about taste and MM is by far my favorite. I've been drinking it for the last year and I'm just fine (AND I've lost weight and KEPT IT OFF -- all while drinking Muscle Milk!)
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member

Please tell me we aren't going to go through ANOTHER round of MM bashing. There are a lot of people who use it (I'm one of them!), who like it and find it to be a very helpful key in their success. I'm very picky about taste and MM is by far my favorite. I've been drinking it for the last year and I'm just fine (AND I've lost weight and KEPT IT OFF -- all while drinking Muscle Milk!)

Just do your research
  • 52baltimoreravens52
    52baltimoreravens52 Posts: 83 Member
    I've been making my own with a scoop of Jillian Michaels chocolate powder, almond breeze and a banana every day for breakfast. I hope it's good for me:ohwell:
    I had read that for someone with a busy lifestyle like me (teacher w/4 kids active in sports), extra protein would be an energy boost.
  • I've been making my own with a scoop of Jillian Michaels chocolate powder, almond breeze and a banana every day for breakfast. I hope it's good for me:ohwell:
    I had read that for someone with a busy lifestyle like me (teacher w/4 kids active in sports), extra protein would be an energy boost.

I am a teacher too... but... I bow to thee with four kiddoes! lol... I have only 2!
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Protein helps to repair your muscles after a workout so I'd definitely do one. I have been using the GNC Pro Wheybolic Amplified which is also a recovery shake. I don't use the complete 3 scoops recommended - I use 1 scoop which still gives me 20g of protein. It helps with recovery and I get the protein needed to help with repair.

Good luck!
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Protein shakes are good for anyone trying to lose weight. I drink Shakeology every day, it has 70+ all natural ingredients and is certified low on the glycemic index. It's only 140 calories and usually I use it as a meal replacement. Our muscles need protein to repair themselves after a hard workout so don't be afraid of it, just learn the best type of proteins.

Everyone has an opinion on the best shakes, just do your research and figure out what would be best for you!
This discussion has been closed.