Recovering addicts - please help

Options
It doesn't matter the addiction - drugs, alcohol, gambling, food, etc... please help if you've experienced this.

I need some advice. I'm almost 60 days sober of drugs and alcohol, and this is one of the few times I've managed to stay completely sober in years. The issue is, the urge to use is still psychologically strong sometimes, and I get very stressed out and turn to another past addiction of mine - food.

In the past I managed to get 100+ days sober and I gained almost 15 lbs. That's right... in about 4 months... I gained 15 lbs. It's slowly happening again.

I'll suddenly get very stressed and emotional because I can't use, and binge on carbs like granola or cereal. I don't feel like the answer is to just rid myself of everything. This is more of an exercise of self-control.

If any of ya'll have struggled with this, how did you manage to keep the weight gain at bay and stay sober/free from your addiction? Thanks.

Replies

• shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have an addictive personality so why not use it to your benefit? I don't know where you are coming from, other than I was a previous smoker, I've been an over eater since birth.

I can't say I have the answer, but for me it was finding something ELSE to loss control over. Heading to the gym is a great escape, or if that isn't possible, running, or biking or something that will take your mind away from what you are trying to stay away from. You can get a "high" from exercise and it is addictive. It won't be easy, but that's what I've done and it helps. Best of luck.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    People tend to be more successful when they work on building new positive habits instead of fighting old habits.

One of your motivations is female fitness models. Maybe if you start a beginner strength training program it will help with the stress and start putting you on the road to possibly becoming a fitness model yourself. There are lots of stories out there about addicts and people with eating disorders who fell in love with lifting and turned their lives around. Some have gone on to be pretty famous.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    When I was first clean, I went for verrryyyy lloonnnngg hikes way out in the forest or the desert. Far from people who might have drugs lol. That may not be your best option but the way that exercise makes your mind focused and clear was really precious to me, after not having had that feeling for a long time. And just being tired in that good way that I earned from working hard....ahhh it felt so good!!

Also, maybe try keeping different snack items in the house like fruit or popcorn. Probably the carb freakout is lasting past the sober freakout so see if swapping foods will help you stop munching once the intial craving has subsided.

And then...in the interest of real honesty...I took up smoking again after having quit for quite awhile. It was the best answer I had when my cravings came back with a vengeance. That's not my recommendation but I wanted to put it out there so you know I have some tricks but I ain't perfect :)

ALL the best to you with your sobriety and everything else.

• melstrand_2
    Options
    Im currently struggling with the extreme weight whenever i try to quit smoking. My last attempt was 3 months smoke free along with 18 lbs gain. It was very hard for me to except that. So i started smoking again. But the smoking is taking over my immune system so now im on day 3 of quitting but im also at the gym. I too struggle with the addictive personality. Im hoping the gym will be my new addiction. Good luck to all of you and ill be looking for advise as i too need help in this area.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I had a very bad problem with alcohol. I decided to get sober on July 26th, 2014. To be honest... I dove head first into fitness. I put all my energy in getting in shape and losing weight.

I lost a grand total of 68 lb and am happily maintaining and coming up on 8 months sober!

I know it sucks having the cravings but I just had to keep reminding myself of all the horrible things that arose out of my alcohol abuse. I paired that with giving myself some fitness goals and it was much easier.

Keep going with it! Find something to throw yourself into! Since your battling with the weight gain... I say do what I did! Focus on fitness! Set goals!

Sorry if this didn't help much... Keep your chin up! REMEMBER! Your sobriety should be first!
  • fettgeist
    fettgeist Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your candid and honest responses! :D

I do agree with what some of you said - about turning my "addiction" towards fitness. That's a great idea. I obviously know what addictive behaviours look like, and I think I could manage keeping a healthy mindset in regards to my fitness. That and I'm probably too lazy to turn into a fitness addict. Ha, just being honest.

Also to Rosie - congrats on your weight loss and sobriety! That's great! I do try to do the same - remind myself of what a dark and horrible place I was in while addicted to drugs/alcohol. It helps a lot.
  • megganjeninngs69
    megganjeninngs69 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just quit drinking i was a functioning alcoholic n then it got worse just keep pushing a day at a time thats all u can do
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    shadowloss wrote: »
    Sounds like you have an addictive personality so why not use it to your benefit? I don't know where you are coming from, other than I was a previous smoker, I've been an over eater since birth.

I can't say I have the answer, but for me it was finding something ELSE to loss control over. Heading to the gym is a great escape, or if that isn't possible, running, or biking or something that will take your mind away from what you are trying to stay away from. You can get a "high" from exercise and it is addictive. It won't be easy, but that's what I've done and it helps. Best of luck.

This
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    get addicted to exercising

try air popped popcorn
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Overeaters Anonymous helped me with my food addictions. The struggle is real. God bless you and please stay strong.