1 1/2 hrs in a grocery store today

Options
I have never looked at so many labels in all my life. I picked up so many items that I would love to eat. I would look at the calorie count and then put them back. I can't believe the calories in some stuff. Of course that is what I wanted but it is not worth that count! I then came upon the snack aisle. I told my husband we had to go fast and I wasn't stopping. I didn't look at any items on the shelves. I wanted to do a "high five" for making it down the aisle without stopping. Lol.

It took us an hour an a half but we made it. Some great choices were made.

Replies

• KimPenuelas
    KimPenuelas Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So funny, I know what you mean, the cookie isle is a killer for me :/
  • samivenbutterfly
    samivenbutterfly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I avoid the Bakery like the plague right now. I LOVE cream filled doughnuts and would just rather not be around the temptation. Something to think about is every time I "Pass" on a sweet (my weakness) it becomes easier and easier. I also think how hard I had to work out to equal the amount of calories in that sweet.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I love reading the labels at the grocery store. Sometimes you find some really surprising things and SCORE. I always look at the cookies to see if there is something worth my calories. To this day, I think ice cream is the best bang for my buck, calorie wise and I never skip that aisle.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Congrats on showing such awesome self control! It is amazing how many calories and sodium are in processed foods!
  • colleengifford1974
    colleengifford1974 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great Job, its always nice when you realize I can do this.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Start in the produce aisle and fill half your cart with fruit and veggies. Don't wander into the middle aisles unless you need something specific. For sweet treats, try those mandarin oranges they market to kids (Halos, Cuties, etc.), try frozen dark sweet cherries (expensive but delicious popped straight in your mother when frozen. Need something salty? Get some olives.

Not to say that you can't overeat with more healthy food in the house. I'm living proof it's possible. But it's harder to do and you'll start to really enjoy the taste of things that are closer to how they came off the tree or out of the field or barn.

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Its overwhelming isn't it? Most soups have waaay too much sodium, and the frozen foods have so much sodium and fats. I shop for my son and husband, then get stuff for me. Last week it was some walnuts, some fruit, some veggies, and some cans of beans. It's all about saute'ing some veggies in a drizzle of olive oil and put in some protein, (garbanzo, edamame, a couple of slices of your fav bratwurst... Its fun playing. I just have my snack, when I am playing chef with their foods.
  • Annr
    Options
    ooh fat-free cool whip in fat-free graham crackers then freeze them....are a delight!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It will be easier. You will soon learn what to look for to find what you need and what you like. Most food can be eaten in the right amount.
  • Annr
    Options
    I think the fun part about picking what you like to eat on a healthy program...is just that. THAT YOU get to pick. I think about the hunters and gathers of the cave women...and sometimes I shop like that. A handful of this...a handful of that...(in plastic bags...I know terrible for our planet...but I return them)....the clerks hate me but I feel empowered and it makes for amazing meals. Preparing our food is a major part of the process. Opening a jar, or box isn't NEAR as much fun as cooking this and that.
  • Annr
    Options
    ok I am on cold medicine and I am a wee bit excited...and Im old so I have alot to say....Think of your pantry as "Control Central".....if you do have a family to cook for, then get their area in order and then find a place you can put your food. (This is just how I operate mind you, but it focuses me). It's nice to go to my foods and not have to mull over the 16 yr olds to get to mine. I am less likely to just grab foods if I know what exactly I have.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    I think the fun part about picking what you like to eat on a healthy program...is just that. THAT YOU get to pick. I think about the hunters and gathers of the cave women...and sometimes I shop like that. A handful of this...a handful of that...(in plastic bags...I know terrible for our planet...but I return them)....the clerks hate me but I feel empowered and it makes for amazing meals. Preparing our food is a major part of the process. Opening a jar, or box isn't NEAR as much fun as cooking this and that.

I can relate! And you're funny! I think of myself as a hunter-gatherer too, it's fun to spend some extra time now and then and drag all the different things I need back to my cave. I love to cook too, amazing to see cheap ingredients transform into something delicious, just by my effort o:) I even exert portion control in the store (how many meals will I be eating of this (before it spoils), how much per meal).
  • Annr
    Options
    When summer starts I shall buy a basket with a handle and only shop at the farmers markets for my fruit and veggies... (keeping the local farmers happy, makes ME happy)....PLUS I want to go out to pick produce, and have canning or jam making parties!
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    try frozen dark sweet cherries (expensive but delicious popped straight in your mother when frozen.

[/quote]

Absolutely made my day. I always get messed up with autocorrect, too!
  • Annr
    Options
    hahahaha just noticed that ^ ^ ^.....I can barely feed my 16 yr old....I am NOT feeding my mother too....hahahaha...
  • staceyannr
    staceyannr Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So funny, I know what you mean, the cookie isle is a killer for me :/

I can't even look at the cookies ! Lol

• staceyannr
    staceyannr Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    ooh fat-free cool whip in fat-free graham crackers then freeze them....are a delight!
    I will try these. Thx