Feeling positive - real, or psychosomatic?

Options
samvanz
samvanz Posts: 122 Member
So, I've only been back into this weight-loss thing since Thursday (it's now Monday, so... 5 days).
I've been feeling pretty down lately, and a bit hopeless about everything. However, today I feel really hopeful. I feel much lighter (emotionally) than I have in ages.
Do you think it's possible that my diet is having an effect on my mood this quickly? Or is it maybe just my head-space due to planning positive things for the future?

What have you experiences been?

Replies

• TaushasJourney
    Options
    Diet plays a huge role in how we feel emotionally since it has such a big impact on how we feel physically. I'd say it's entirely possible that it is the cause of your hopeful mood. :)
  • samvanz
    Options
    It's certainly a good motivator. I'd hardly even noticed how bad I'd been feeling until that feeling was gone...
  • bikerbitch3826
    Options
    I definitely think the dieting is helping you. Doing something positive about your life has an effect on your sub conscious which controls how your body reacts. I am a trained counselor and understand how the physiology of the body reacts to psychological effects.
    I have just logged for the first time in 4 months to focus my mind on achieving the results I want. I am doing the dublin marathon on 31st Oct and want to lose 23lbs in 23 weeks.I am hoping I will be able to run the marathon, but seemed to be hampered with health problems
  • samvanz
    Options
    Well, best of luck with it. 23lbs in 23 weeks sounds achievable, if your head's in the right space. Go for it!
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    my diet affects my mood w/n about 3 days. Been that way all of my life. I'm 53 so that is quite a bit of experience. Oh and by the way, I have been into this nutrition and exercise 'thing' since I was about 19 years old :). Hope that helps. It took me a while to check for physical reasons for mood swings or mental clarity. Our society is sooo into psycho babble that we look first to emotional causes or circumstantial instead of physical. I have found that in my case it is usually physical. My two cents for what it is worth. Good luck!
  • samvanz
    Options
    Thanks, Sauza!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I felt a whole lot better within my first week, and I think that was due both to diet and to my new outlook. I've been having some major mood swings lately, too, so I could really see there was a change. I've had a couple off days since then, so, for me, it's not ALL about my diet, but I've definitely had fewer crappy days than I used to mood wise.