injury sidlining me

I was walking everyday. Walking fast, then started sprinting. Had a little pain in my knee but decided to ignore it and keep going. Did the hula-hoop. A little more pain, but ignored. Went walking fast during my lunch hour and the pain was incredible. So now I am wearing a brace and I am not walking at all. So frustrated! How can I keep losing weight, what kind of exercises can I do?

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Calorie deficit for weight loss, exercise for fitness, health and more calories to eat.

In other words, you don't have to exercise to lose weight, you just have to be in a calorie deficit. Use a food scale, weigh everything, log accurately. Hopefully the brace will be off soon, and then you can restart your fitness journey from a lower weight. :)
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    You can keep losing weight by controlling diet alone. The calorie target MFP gives you will give you the weight loss, no exercise needed. With MFP, exercise calories are supposed to be eaten back, so it's more like, exercising lets you eat more and still lose. So now you don't have those calories available to eat.

That said, exercise is awesome. If you think there is an alternative that would not bother your knee, go for it. But otherwise, *healing* is the most important thing. No matter how bad or not bad it is now, healing it from this point will take less time than if you injure it further and need to heal it from that point. Meaning, you'll get back to walking and sprinting sooner if you let it properly heal.

I can't think of one though. Pilates? Some pilates moves might be okay.

And in future, do not ignore pain. "No pain, no gain" is a misnomer. They mean the exercise burn, and that thing in your brain telling you how badly you want to stop, or that getting out of bed would seriously be the worst. Actual pain should be listened to.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    I hear ya.

I started working out in January.

Since then, I've...

Had a bout of very painful hip bursitis.
    Runners knee in both knees.
    Pulled pectoral muscle
    Now knee bursitis.

Nothing severe, but all annoying.

Still managed to lose 20. Just do what you can do and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.
  • dtsbrown
    dtsbrown Posts: 41 Member
    Do some swimming, perhaps some weights and upper body stuff that does not require the use of your leg/knee. Exercise is very important so try to find a creative way to still exercise while resting the injury.
  • I have a torn meniscus in my knee- was a runner! Didn't want the operation and I have been using swimming and cycling and graded walking. I have learned to avoid exercises that might twist your knee during extension/flexion and back off if you experience any pain. I would advise you see your GP if pain persists
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Have you seen a doctor and what have they said about your injury?
  • w006cmd
    w006cmd Posts: 15 Member
    wow, ok, new to this and didn't realize all these responses were here. Doug your a hot mess like me :) Glad to here you still was able to loose the weight. I see a dr. tomorrow. I had an appoitment tues. but canceled it because I felt like my knee was getting better. Walked up the steps at work and severe pain in the back of my knee. So called them back apologized and said I would not cancele again. The knee is not hurting today but scared to do anything until I see the dr. and he can tell me what to do. In 20 days I'm keeping my calories down and losing weight it's just so slow at coming off.