calories from machine??

Options
So I'm typing this as I am on my elliptical so bear with me if there are typos
.as I am working out I checked what my fitness pal calculated my calorie loss and it was different than my machine....it was lower....which should I go with? My machine gave me higher calories, should I use that since it knows knows my crosramp andnd resistance. Or should I just use MFP calorites?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Go with the lower. Both are probably overestimations, anyway, so it's better to be closer to what you actually did burn.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue. Walking on the treadmill with pedometer in my pocket. Distance is equal, but calorie burn is quite different. Then log it into MFP and calorie burn also different. I tend to go with the lowest of the 3 and pat myself on the back for a great workout!
  • tattooedmomma93b
    tattooedmomma93b Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Kinda what I figured I should do! Just wasnt sure since im using crossramp and resistance. Thanks !
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I enter 1/2 to 1/3 of what the machine says. When I first started I would enter and eat back all of it and didn't lose at all. They are gross over-estimations. Entering 1/2 to 1/3 seems to work a lot better for me. In the notes section I write what the elliptical said so I have a reference. That way if later I'm starving I can check and if I entered 1/3 I can bump it up a bit to 1/2 and have a small snack.

But definitely don't use all of what the machine says....
  • mandychowx
    mandychowx Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    MFP works it out by your height, weight and age.
    If your machine does all that + measures your heart rate- go by your machine.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    They're most likely both over-estimating. Take the lower number and cut it in half.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Go with the lower one. And maybe look into getting a heart rate monitor to wear while you work out, I love mine!