Doctor says 1200, trainer says 3800, what do you say??

Options
I've lost 15 pounds in two weeks eating around 1300 calories a day and doing cardio. I started off at 350 pounds and want to get to at least 230. What advice can some of you pros give a noob?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    What is the actual question that you want advice on?
  • tippettbrian78
    tippettbrian78 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What's a safe weight loss goal to set? Trainer says I should average 5lbs a week, doc says 2. Which is actually "safe"?
  • mhanispeedy
    mhanispeedy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    do what your doctor says , trainer now a days are bunch of noobs in this industry ,
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Safe wise 2 pounds, but you said your trainer said to average 5 pounds. If the person is actually your trainer then you should do what they say. If you are going to pay a trainer you should follow their program. That or tell your trainer what your doctor said and tell them to adjust their plans for you to fit the weight loss goal your doctor said to aim for.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 pounds in two weeks eating around 1300 calories a day and doing cardio. I started off at 350 pounds and want to get to at least 230. What advice can some of you pros give a noob?

Neither nimber. You need to set MFP to 2 lbs/week and eat that (plus a portion of your exercise cals). Neither your trainer nor your doctor knows as much about nutrition as they think they do and 1300 might cause you to binge and burn out.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    If your doc said 1200, then his would be the more aggressive weight loss plan. Are your numbers reversed?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    If your doc said 1200, then his would be the more aggressive weight loss plan. Are your numbers reversed?

I also question any doctor who would tell a male that he needed to eat 1200 cals/day
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I would follow the doctor's advice and not the trainer's. I would ask the doctor, how s/he got to those numbers (how many calories to eat per day and how much weight to lose per week. Perhaps your doctor can refer you to a nutritionist.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on the 15 lbs lost. That's typical when you first start working out and restrict your calories that much. Like a previous post says, I'd go by what MFP says, which I'm guessing will be at least 2,000/day. It's going to take you a year or more to reach your goal. It's best to slowly reduce your calories as you lose the weight.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    1200 seems like an awfully drastic cut, even though at your weight you probably have sufficient fat stores to fuel that deficit. Is your doctor going to be monitoring you to make sure you're getting adequate nutrition and your health doesn't suffer?

I would think at 335 to 350 lbs, 3800 calories is roughly in the neighborhood of what your body burns in a day from normal activity (not including intentional exercise) -- although without more info, including your non-exercise activity level, that's obviously a very rough estimate. I would think that your results could be discouragingly slow if you consume 3800 calories a day.

Also, the little bit of data you have -- losing 15 lbs in two weeks at 1300 calories a day suggests a TDEE of about 3800, if we assume water weight accounts for 5 lbs of the loss, which from anecdotal accounts seems pretty typical, but I don't know if water weight loss tends to be higher for those starting at higher weights. If it is, that would mean a lower TDEE -- 250 calories lower for each additional pound of water included in the weight loss, because we're looking at a 2-week period, i.e., 3500 calories to lose a pound, divided by 14 days.

I'd pick a number in the mid to upper 2000s, track calories in (get a food scale) carefully, and see what happens over a period of several weeks to a month. Adjust based on your results.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Doctor says you should average 2lbs a week eating 1200 calories; trainer says you should average 5lbs a week eating 3800 calories?

I don't know about you; but something doesn't make sense. Feel free to invest in extra words : - )

If your doctor ordered a balls to the wall, lose 100lbs by tomorrow, 1200 calorie diet for some medical reason... who the heck am I to gainsay him?

If you are asking whether you can lose 2lbs a week eating 3800 calories a day the answer is that at your weight you probably can do so.

If you are asking whether it is possible to safely lose 5lbs a week eating 3800 calories the answer is that at your weight it just MIGHT be possible depending on your activity level.

While a weight loss of up to 1.5% per week is considered to be within acceptable limits (at your starting weight that would be more than 5lbs a week), a weight loss of about 2lbs per week is considered to be more sustainable and easy on you and your body.

A 2lb per week rate is more likely to be adhered to and it also gives you the time to develop new habits.

You don't mention how tall you are. I am going to turn you into an "average" 5ft 8" 36 year old male. You mention the word trainer. This leads me to think you probably exercise at least an hour a day to the point of sweating. This, depending on what other activities you engage on, might make you "active" for the purpose of calculating your TDEE, and these parameters using http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator yield a TDEE estimate that is over 4900.

A 20% cut off of that 4900 yields an eating plan of slightly more than 3800 calories a day with a deficit that should result in an approximate 2lb loss per week.

If you have a trainer and a doctor... where is the nutritionist? :-)
    Has anyone measured your body composition?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What's a safe weight loss goal to set? Trainer says I should average 5lbs a week, doc says 2. Which is actually "safe"?

At 350 lbs, you can do just fine on deficits that would cause real problems for someone leaner. If you think you can handle losing weight faster, talk it over with your doc, since (s)he is responsible for your overall care and has the most complete picture.
  • tippettbrian78
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I scheduled an appointment with the company nutritionist on Monday. I'm 6'4" and MFP recommends 2680 a day. Maybe MFP is smarter than either of them! :D
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What is your dr's reason? If for example he/she has concerns about your health that need your weight to drop fast, then this is different than just giving you a random number. But this is something to discuss with the dr, not the trainer.
  • tippettbrian78
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    What is your dr's reason? If for example he/she has concerns about your health that need your weight to drop fast, then this is different than just giving you a random number. But this is something to discuss with the dr, not the trainer.

I'm just too fat! That plus my family history has about every bad thing know to man in it.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Who has you at the 1300 calorie diet? That seems kind of extreme. I'm sure you can do it, but can you do it in a healthy manner? I was able to lose on around 1,200 calories a day, but I am a very short woman (5'2"). I managed to meet my basic nutritional needs on that. Depending on your height, you may or may not.

I'm not going to advise you to do what your trainer said just because you're paying him or her. It really depends on the education of the trainer whether their advice is good. Some trainers are really educated, some (like a friend I had after college) just learned on the job and recommend the same stuff to everyone. I do like the idea that teagirl had, of telling your trainer what your doctor advises and that you're not comfortable totally disregarding that advice.

All that being said, you can choose to lose quickly or slowly, as long as you take steps to insure that you're eating properly. For me, two pounds a week was the fastest I felt comfortable with, but I only had 35 pounds to lose. Since you are both a man and are heavier than I was, you probably have a much higher metabolism.

Just as an example, a 280 lb. person requires more energy to function than his or her 160 lb. counterpart. If you've never worked out before and now you suddenly are, you'll burn more calories walking 5 miles on the treadmill than I would. My husband is 6'4" and was close to 100# overweight when he joined MFP. He lost 4# his first week, just by cutting his calories down to the MFP recommendations for losing 2# a week. So, two pounds a week might not be completely realistic for you in the beginning. Just try not to get too disappointed when it starts slowing down. The harder it gets to lose weight, the closer to your weight goal you are. (So, the more exercise you've got to do, or the more calories you've got to cut.)

In my mind, the most important thing for you as you're learning to change your habits is to keep track of your nutrients. You're going to feel happier and better satisfied if you're eating properly than if you're eating a lot of empty calories. Who knows? Once you meet your nutritional needs, you may still have 300 or 400 calories to waste. It happens to my husband a few nights a week. Just be careful about cutting your calories too much in the beginning. You can figure out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) at this site (iifym.com/bmr-calculator/). They also have a TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) calculator (iifym.com/tdee-calculator/). Maybe you can average the two numbers and see if you're comfortable eating at that level and aren't feeling lightheaded or showing any other symptoms of not meeting your nutritional needs.

I'm sorry for the novel! I hope that you don't fall asleep while reading it! :D I just know how hard it is, and I want to see you succeed.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When I weighed more than 300 pounds my doctor wanted me to lose weight as fast as possible to get out of the super obese category because of my family history and bad blood tests, even if it meant VLCD for a couple of months because the benefits of losing weight too fast (which super obese people handle much better than the merely overweight) outweigh the risks of staying in that dangerous BMI category for long. Once I did get out of that dangerous BMI range he asked me to increase my calories and lose weight at my own comfortable pace even if it takes years, which I'm doing.

Now as an obese male you will likely lose more than 2 pounds (likely 3-4) on a 1200 diet, so your doctor may be wrong. Your trainer is even more wrong, you won't lose 5 lb a week eating 3800 calories unless your TDEE is 6000 which is doubtful. You may lose that much at first due to water weight loss, but after a couple of weeks eating 3800 you may either slow to a crawl or stop losing all together. I even doubt you will lose anything initially unless you exercise vigorously every day.

Now you have already lost 17 lb, so look at your loss in the past week or two and look at your food intake and you will have a much better idea about the amount of calories required to lose a certain number of pounds a week.
  • FrostAyy
    FrostAyy Posts: 23 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you keep losing weight like crazy won't you have super loose skin? 2 lbs a week sounds reasonable to me, but you're probably going to lose more with your weight.
  • tippettbrian78
    Options
    FrostAyy wrote: »
    If you keep losing weight like crazy won't you have super loose skin? 2 lbs a week sounds reasonable to me, but you're probably going to lose more with your weight.

I don't know, I've actually never thought about that issue.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    FrostAyy wrote: »

I don't know, I've actually never thought about that issue.

You may end up with loose skin regardless of your weight loss speed. Don't think too much about it, you're either lucky or unlucky in this this regard and not much can be done about it. Focus on getting healthier first and foremost.