alcoholic on a diet

Options
hi, im new to all this.... 5'6, 168lb.. biggest problem for me weight wise is definetly alcohol.. i eat fairly well, working on building up the exercise, but its the beers that really get me... i have cut down, trying to drink more red wine, but im still on about 5-10 a day after work, 10-20 on a day off... how do other people cut back the drinking calories? im quite physical in my job so it never fazed me before but im the heaviest ive been in years now, after some time off work, and its been getting me down.. lost a lot of muscle so really noticing the flab... advice??

Replies

• rainbowzebra25
    rainbowzebra25 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first steps on your journey. I am not an alcoholic pet se but I do love a good drink one or two nights per week. I have cut down significantly from 5 nights a week to 2 (3 if there's a special occasion etc) I drink at home with my DH and used to polish off 2 bottles of wine. My advice to you? Go slowly and figure out ways to distract yourself from starting to reach for a drink. When I cut down I used to go to bed REALLY early. It sucked. I was a miserable girl for about a week but you know what? It was about breaking a habit for me. Now I can enjoy an evening in front of the telly with a huge pot of tea and some biccies. Honestly the energy and lack if hangover makes up for it. On the one or two nights I allow myself a drink I enjoy as much as I like - and I have started to cut down. Give it a go? Try distracting yourself with a new computer game, book or other activity that uses your hands. That way you'll be less likely to miss reaching for a cold one - anything to break the habit! Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm happy to keep talking about it :) and well done again. You should be really proud for making the start. X
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Ok- if you actually are an acholic- and it seems as though you are with the reported alcohol consumption. Your actual best bet is controlled detox. Stopping drinking suddenly can cause symptoms ranging from general discomfort to seizures and even death. After detox, get yourself hooked into the community- a good LCDC and group, doesn't have to be AA- but a group is good to help you go thorough the process of becoming sober.

As far as weight loss, I would say focus on your nutrients, especially the B vitamins. GET B SUPPLIMENTS NOW. It will help to protect your brain against damage from the alcohol and with repair minor damage.

If you are not alcoholic, you still need to be careful as your body has become adjusted to the amount of alcohol in your system. Still get B vitamins and still consider going to an LCDC.
  • somethingnewtodo
    Options
    thanks for all the support :) i never really noticed it as a problem before, because doing manual labour all day, and keeping up with all the lads, havin a beer at lunch, then the pub for afters.. then at home.. but up for work the next morning, i figured it was ok coz i was 'functioning'.. then i stopped working and it became more of a habit, out of boredom, and i suppose, the love of beer,.. ive got a new job now and its a bit less active, so i looked (hard) in the mirror recently and thought 'uh oh... somethings gotta give'.. im happy in my life so its a great time to start, but wow! i dont have much of a sweet tooth so i cant believe all this weight came on just from the booze... shows how new to all this i am!
  • shoedc22
    shoedc22 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm a recovering Alcoholic and it sounds like you have more going on then how many calories your consuming......