The joys of water

Options
I just typed this on my blog and thought I would share it with everyone else!

Ok, so we have all wondered why water is so great? It's those little things we dont tend to notice so much....but what are they? We have every excuse under the sun not to drink water, weather it be - "we don't like it", "its to plain", "i love my soda/pop too much" or "im a coffee addict!". We have any excuse you can think of but the truth it is, water is the best. Ok, so now your thinking I am crazy! Well heres my reasons!

A few things you should know about me.

I do drink alcohol, normally vodka with a coke....or vodka and red bull....bad for you I know - but I don't drink every weekend, i drink for a mate birthday or my birthday or on holiday - so no more than 4 times a year (something like that)
I'm not a coffee nutta, but i like my hot chocolates! I also like my pop, the sugary kind, coca cola, pepsi, dr pepper....i love them all! The reason I drink full sugar? I would rather have the calories than the chemicals from the diets on a regular basis.
I have tired so many times to loose weight, never managed too!
Right - so why am I writing this? Cause I want to share why I think water is so great!

A few years ago, i had a health kick, i went to the gym 5 days a week, i drank no fizzy drinks, so juices, water, the dreaded energy drinks and the odd vodka or hot chocolate. I was pretty healthy, the gym didn't last so long as it was awkward to get too...the drink thing lasted for about four years. I quit pop cold turkey and however hard i tried, i never saw a difference, my unhealthy wasitline stayed unhealthy, my clothes size never changed once over the year or so. I gave up, i lost motivation. I got ill with tonsilitus and only pop would soothe my throat....so I started drinking pop again. So, I was unconvinced on the joys of water....until now....

Now - im on MFP, i've started drinking more water again. After a couple of weeks of increasing my water and exercise (its been about 8 weeks) I have seen differences.

The main one - i feel healthier
I enjoy working out, i drink water to stay hydrated and it compliments each other
The cellulite I had on my legs....that was on my arms also, down the back of my thighs...ye that stuff? Its gone, its a little bit left around the bum area, but no more...it's true that it helps banish it!
My skin is clearer - no more spots! (Need to wash face after sweating obviously!)
I don't bloat like i do when I drink pop!
My skin has lost its grey tone, i look more human and It's complimented but the whole loosing weight, not bloating, cellulite and no spots thing!
To me - these are great reasons to drink water! Not to mention its best for your body. So how do you get your daily allowance in? You keep some with you at all times, you sip it without noticing. You should be drinking it during your workouts anyways! If at work, and its possible, have a glass with you all the time.

Im not a saint - im not going to say all i drink is water, its not. I do still drink pop, but theres a time and a place to my pop drinking - like when i really fancy it, i allow a small glass. I need a drink and theres no water or the pop is on offer (when im with someone - normally my father) or when im in a restaurant that offers free refills. But i make healthier choices with it, i look for the low cals, If can I have pepsi max, or dr pepper zero (it doesnt taste so bad if you haven't just drunk the full sugar versions). Yes I know i said i didn't want the chemicals....but I dont drink it often so they won't cause as much harm as if i drank it all the time!

And if your complaints are due to it tasting plain - buy squash and have squash or get flavoured water....that, will be better than not having it at all!

Replies

• xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Wow! just read this, an what a great outcome you had from quitting your high sugary drinks and turning them into water! i drink about 6 glasses of water day and i have done since january 2011. and i can honestly say that it does really help your complexion and help you to loose weight as its flushing everything out of your system! a big weldone to you! and keep it going :) x
  • sweetsunlover
    Options
    :-)
  • mizmau
    mizmau Posts: 6
    Options
    thank you so much for sharing this i must admit ive used all of those excuses to not drink water myself so now its given me the kick up the tushy i needed to get back in with the whole water thing :P xx
    thank you
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    Glad I could help someone :) x
  • gemma5536
    gemma5536 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I never used to drink water but since being on mfp I've forced myself to change my habits, I drink about 3 glasses of plain water a day now, which still isn't enough but a lot more than before, then I'll drink no added sugar squash the rest of the time, which i think is almost as good as drinking water and tastes sooo much better! I think it's helped loads with dark circles under my eyes!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I try to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.. and for the most part I reach that goal. It's helped me drop another 2 pounds, and makes my skin look so much better!