Emotional issues after exercise/low food intake

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been struggling with two seperate but possibly related problems when it comes to calorie controlled diets/exercising more frequently and emotions. -

1. After I partake in any strenuous exercise i am an emotional wreck. So say, if i go to the gym for an hour, everything is fine during the activity, but then as soon as I get out the gym and in the car home I'm just a sobbing emotional wreck for the whole ride (luckily, my partner drives) and then the whole rest of the evening. Similarly, if i go for a run/cycle, as soon as I step through my door afterwards the same thing happens. The only 'cure' i have found is to go to bed, cry it out, and go to sleep. Similarly with lower cardio intensity exercises, walking/hiking/weight training/etc I am finding afterwards I am very teary and easy to snap into full on sob mode, and have to have a nap to solve this. Eating before/after the exercise makes no difference, time of day makes no difference. Eating more/less/different foods makes no difference. At first I thought it could be any of these things and persevered, but i can't see any way out. Obviously I am expecting some recovery time and to feel worn out, but this emotional thing is really too much to handle, and it eats up the whole rest of the day after the exercise.

2.Seperately but similarly, If i stick to a calorie controlled diet I am an emotional wreck. It's fine most of the day, but by about 4pm I'm cold, shakey, sad and my body feels sick and empty. If i cave in and eat something, i then can't have an evening meal with my partner when he gets home around 6 without ruining my food diary, but if i don't eat anything I can't function because i feel so ill and just go to bed and cry/sleep. This is with a 1200-1500kcal per day goal.

So currently the only way i can be a functional person is to eat too much, and not exercise, which is obviously in detriment to my weight loss goals. And i don't really know what to do :(

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What are your stats--age, height, weight, exercise, etc? The choice may not be between eating 1500 calories and eating "too much." There's likely a spot in between where you would do fine.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need less of a deficit and make sure you are eating everything you need in terms of nutrients.
    Make sure you are well hydrated.
    I've never heard of this, but if eating and drinking more don't help, maybe a trip to your doc.
  • jascakes
    jascakes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi jemhh,

I'm 25 years old, 5ft 6 and 79kg. Sedentry job, so a pretty low resting metabolic rate. I've been gradually reducing calorie intake over the past year or so, starting from around 1800, and trending downward as it doesn't seem to be working (though 4ishkg in a year loss) but i know there could be seperate issues with calorie counting that i need to look into too.
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I also think you may want to discuss that with a doctor. I am really sorry to read about that! I have never heard of this. Good luck sorry I cant be more helpful!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Do you know what you are crying about? have you had this experience before and have you talked to the Dr about this?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am wondering if you have issues with low blood sugar?

Have you ever tried refueling throughout your workout?

How do you change your eating habits when you count calories (obviously shooting for less calories but are you eating fewer meals? are you cutting carbs?)

• Nuka_Gina
    Nuka_Gina Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm totally there with you, but I have no idea what the solution might be. I'm a pretty positive person most of the time, but I think that just requires a lot of energy and when I exercise it's like all my willpower goes to that and when I'm finished I just cry. The only thing that helps me is to do things that make me happy and count as exercise like gardening or swimming.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Emotional issues after working out, causing a person to cry the rest of the day and even go to bed and cry it out and completely ruin the entire day does not sound right at all?

And the issues with eating and the same type of behavior? Is the crying an emotional release of some sort?

Do you feel better after or the next morning...

Sound like a doctor needs to step in and help make a diagnosis?

Next question, what are your emotions like with no exercise and no diet restrictions?

EDITED TO ADD: you are allergic to exercise and calorie restrictions and achieving healthier habits is not possible??
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I would talk to a Dr. this could be a hormonal issue as well. A blood panel might help there.
  • jascakes
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your compassionate responses!

- I saw a doctor at university about these issues, and even had CBT, but both doctors were hesitant to actually focus on the issues i wanted to talk about (eg - emotional response to activity), both doctors just suggested that i exercised more and ate less to achieve a better body image etc. But as I have a different doctor now its a good idea to try again, thank you :)

- sometimes there is a specific thing I'm crying about, mostly unimportant stuff that triggers it (someone ate the last ryvita/ no cold water in the fridge/favourite hoodie is in the wash) but mostly its just about nothing except feeling generally miserable? I'm not upset frequently or down in my life in general more than i would concider average.

- I've noticed this happening since probably 20/21, but I was never active as a young person and avoided sports at school at all costs. I do really love the outdoors, so at the moment I'm trying to be more active outside and go walking/hiking etc instead of any intense activity.

- I've thought about blood sugar too...

-I've tried taking protien shakes with me, no change except they make me feel a bit sick when exercising.

- Ive been trying to eat 4-5 smaller portions throughout the day of 200-300cal each.

- Yes i do feel better the next morning. Normally my emotions are pretty 'average'. I would say i have a happy disposition, and i have an amazing job/life/partner/family/home...

Thanks for all your help so far, its been great just to put it out there and discuss this :)
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    jascakes wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I've been struggling with two seperate but possibly related problems when it comes to calorie controlled diets/exercising more frequently and emotions. -

1. After I partake in any strenuous exercise i am an emotional wreck. So say, if i go to the gym for an hour, everything is fine during the activity, but then as soon as I get out the gym and in the car home I'm just a sobbing emotional wreck for the whole ride (luckily, my partner drives) and then the whole rest of the evening. Similarly, if i go for a run/cycle, as soon as I step through my door afterwards the same thing happens. The only 'cure' i have found is to go to bed, cry it out, and go to sleep. Similarly with lower cardio intensity exercises, walking/hiking/weight training/etc I am finding afterwards I am very teary and easy to snap into full on sob mode, and have to have a nap to solve this. Eating before/after the exercise makes no difference, time of day makes no difference. Eating more/less/different foods makes no difference. At first I thought it could be any of these things and persevered, but i can't see any way out. Obviously I am expecting some recovery time and to feel worn out, but this emotional thing is really too much to handle, and it eats up the whole rest of the day after the exercise.

2.Seperately but similarly, If i stick to a calorie controlled diet I am an emotional wreck. It's fine most of the day, but by about 4pm I'm cold, shakey, sad and my body feels sick and empty. If i cave in and eat something, i then can't have an evening meal with my partner when he gets home around 6 without ruining my food diary, but if i don't eat anything I can't function because i feel so ill and just go to bed and cry/sleep. This is with a 1200-1500kcal per day goal.

So currently the only way i can be a functional person is to eat too much, and not exercise, which is obviously in detriment to my weight loss goals. And i don't really know what to do :(

You need to go see a doctor.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    To be honest, it really doesn't sound like there's a physical trigger, like your calories or low blood sugar. Definitely check those out with your doctor to be sure!

It sounds like your concerns would best be addressed by a psychologist, not an MD. It just sounds emotional/behavioral. Maybe you can ask your MD for a referral?

There is a solution out there--don't give up on yourself and keep advocating with the medical professionals to get the help you want. :smiley:
  • ginadevalera
    ginadevalera Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Firstly, I would suggest as others have that you speak to your GP again about your emotional responses post exercise. Are there any specific thought processes that are going through your mind during this time? Do you feel physically unwell afterwards? Have you had any negative experiences in your youth that were related to exercise? Try and take some time out to reflect on what may be causing you this distress as there may be some underlying reason that you or your health practicioners haven't pieced together yet.

Secondly, you mentioned that you will cry due to triggers that you have described as unimportant, such as your favourite hoodie being in the wash. I've been through this and I was eventually diagnosed with Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (or Borderline Personality Disorder as it was previously know) Let me be clear, please don't self-diagnose. This is from my personal experience only and I was diagnosed by a psychiatric health professional. I am not saying you have this, but it is merely something I relate to. The main thing for me was over-reacting emotionally to trivial things and being unable to control that emotional response. The only thing that has helped me with that has been prescribed medication and Dialectial Behaviour Therapy. Do a little research online and see if you relate to any of the symptoms. If so, try also bringing that up with your GP. It may be a good place to start at least.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

You need to go see a doctor.

Specifically, a psychiatrist.
  • GPHX_GEEK
    GPHX_GEEK Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Your problem sounds hormonal. Exersice is known to release endorphins and endorphins make you happy; it doesn't make any sense that it would have the opposite effect on you. My thought is you need to discuss this with your doctor because my guess is that your body is producing or releasing hormones that are affecting you in this way.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Not that I would know what causes a woman to cry, but when people are tired it is harder to keep emotions bottled up. I really doubt that exercise is causing the problem, but the physical exertion may be enough to break down the barriers that prevent the release of emotions due to stressful things in a person's life. The hormones released during exercise would likely keep them in check during the activity.
  • jascakes
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your kind suggestions and sharing your thoughts and personal experiences. It's really helped to have some uninvested opinions about this all and it's given me the push i need to move forward with this. I have made an appointment with my GP to discuss everything.
  • la_stefi
    la_stefi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with TimothyFish. When I'm tired I lash out for every stupid trigger I'd never even consider in the morning, after a good sleep.Tiredness breaks your barriers down, but you need to understand what's kept hidden behind those barriers... Good luck!
    PS for energy and vitamins with little very calories, have you tried pollen?
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    same thing happens to me. you can choose to up your calorie intake, you will feel fantastic after a good workout, and you will have even more energy.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    It could be any number of things

anxiety
    low blood sugar
    too little sleep
    macros not balanced
    hormones

You need to find a doc who will work WITH you to help identify and solve the issue, because its NOT normal.