Walking off the lbs

Options
Hello all,

I'm Brittany. I told myself at the beginning of this year that I will lose 30lbs. I've lost 20 so far so I'm on my last 10 but these seem to be the hardest. I started incorporating walking & jogging into my daily routine. At first I was telling myself "just go a mile" then it was "you can do two miles" & I kept challenging myself then on. I did 10 miles last week & felt so much pride. It helped my weightloss so much & not to mention my confidence. My only issue is the days when I do cheat on my diet a little it seems like I've got to work twice as hard the next to lose what I gained back & then some. I just need someone to tell me I'm not crazy for walking 3/4 times a day a mile or two at a time.

Replies

• BranaBecky
    BranaBecky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    you are NOT crazy. :-) Walking is great exercise and as long as you have time to walk several times a day, still getting enough rest, eating well, etc. I don't think it could be a bad thing.

I am an older women, in rotten shape, I find walking is one of the few exercises I can do right now. My schedule doesn't let me do as much of it as I may like, but I try to get out for at least two short sessions (about 15 minutes each) daily with my dogs, before and after work. Then on weekends I increase the morning walk to about 70 minutes. This past month the weather has been sooo cold I have done less, but I was back on track today. You are inspiring me to get out walking more often and for longer.

So keep going and I bet you "walk off" that last 10 pounds very soon. You Go Girl!
    Becky
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Go girl go! I've been there and still struggle from time to time. but I've learn to think about that cheat and what will I have to do to get rid of it. It helps me. different things work for different people. I have over the years cut back on cheat things. I used to buy a cake. now if I want a piece of cake I buy 1 piece. I buy only the real small candy bars. These are things I don't do very often any more. Just today we went for a 2 mile walk and I said I wanted a donut. my husband said you just walked it off do you really want to put it right back on? He is such a sweet heart he made me think about I came home and had strawberries. :) I was fine with that. I've also learned to have my favorite fruits on hand for treats. Keep walking and running. Your doing great things.
  • kcwwoa
    kcwwoa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I want to cheat I TRY to think about the rotten energy I will get from the bad foods. Doesn't always keep me from not eating them, but it's a work in progress.

I started by doing Leslie Sansone you tube videos to get my steps in when I can't get outside. Just tonight I "walked" a couple hundred steps making dinner.
  • Joyeuxbelle
    Joyeuxbelle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Walking is really underrated! It's a great low-impact exercise, and can really help get rid of those last pounds. You're not crazy at all! I walk EVERYWHERE - around 14 kilometers a day, and then some more on weekends. I walk to work, I walk to the shops, I walk so much I don't even consider it exercise anymore...it's just a form of transport for me, and helps clear my head.

Put some energising music on your iPod, or download some audiobooks and get into it! Just be careful you don't eat back the calories you've burned off. You'll be hungry, so be sure to give yourself good food that's satisfying, yet won't undo your hard work :)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    cheering_minions.gif
  • wowwowbrin
    Options
    Thank you all for your support & kind words. Not to mention advice! It's hard not to go overboard & give into ED symptoms.
  • bekanswer
    bekanswer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You are not crazy. I try to walk 2-3 times a day. Its my main form of exercise until I can join a gym in a few months. I walk everywhere and aim for over 10km/6.2 miles a day.
    Dont give up! Add me if you;d like :)
  • kkate1949
    kkate1949 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Go girl go! I've been there and still struggle from time to time. but I've learn to think about that cheat and what will I have to do to get rid of it. It helps me. different things work for different people. I have over the years cut back on cheat things. I used to buy a cake. now if I want a piece of cake I buy 1 piece. I buy only the real small candy bars. These are things I don't do very often any more. Just today we went for a 2 mile walk and I said I wanted a donut. my husband said you just walked it off do you really want to put it right back on? He is such a sweet heart he made me think about I came home and had strawberries. :) I was fine with that. I've also learned to have my favorite fruits on hand for treats. Keep walking and running. Your doing great things.

• kkate1949
    kkate1949 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Kate and I would love to join the walking group. I need to lose 50lbs and would be happy with 10. I take 6 meds a day with blood thinner and thyroid.meds being some of it. I am a grandmother raising 3 of my grandkids. I need to be healthy.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Walking rocks, Brittany! I've lost almost 90 pounds walking/jogging. Something that motivated me - I attended an Iron Girl 5K/Half Marathon. Attended - did not participate. It was amazing - seeing women of all ages, sizes, colors giving it their all and trying to improve their health - it was so inspiring - I wanted to be a part of the strong, healthy, "be all you can be" culture. I'm 60 years old and participated in my 1st 5K when I was 59 last 4th of July. I didn't care about time - cared about just finishing. And I did! (4th from last, but I finished!) I've since ran in 3 or 4 and in one of the recent ones I finished 2nd in my age class. So.....get out there - set a goal for yourself. Go a little bit further or a little bit faster - you'll be surprised at what you're going to be able to do and how much fun healthy and fit can be!!!
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    wowwowbrin wrote: »
    I just need someone to tell me I'm not crazy for walking 3/4 times a day a mile or two at a time.

You're not crazy.

I'm just starting to maintain, and I have no intention of doing my waking routine, which is between 4 and 5 miles on my lunch break from work five days a week, plus waking another half to a mile to get to and from the car. On my days off it's at least 3 miles each day.

Walking is easy, can be relaxing for the mind as well. I see nothing wrong with doing a lot of it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Another dedicated walker here! I try to get 4-5 miles daily and sometimes do it in one go, sometimes 3-4 depending on my schedule. I love it. When I need something at the store, I walk. I have a 3 mile circle route that passes by a grocery, 2 drugstores, a gas station (with the cheapest and freshest eggs and dairy), and my bank. Granted, it also passes by McD's and Arby's too but I don't stop.

I have lost 99 lb so far by walking daily with added swimming 3x a week.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do A LOT of walking too. Some light jogging at times though my jogging is mostly indoors on my treadmill, with the walking being outside (weather permitting) ..

I walk a minimum of 3.5 miles on short walks, but 5+ miles on longer walks. It's like free therapy to me, me with nature and my thoughts and in the end I'm always glad I got out there and walked. I change up my walks by taking a different street here or there, keeps *it new I guess.

• wowwowbrin
    Options
    Good morning & happy weekend to you all! Walking truly is overrated! I can tell just from starting 2 weeks ago that my legs are stronger & I can go further faster. I started off with just a mile them upped it to 2 now I'm at 3. I plan to do a color run which I believe is a 5K so I'm trying to make sure I can have fun while strengthening my legs & being covered in powdered color. I'm only 7lb away from my first goal which I can't believe! I'm hoping to hit it in my birthday in April maybe even surpass it. Look out swim suit season here I come! :)
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Good for you - you're doing so good! Keep up the walking. Agree with all the above - it's a great way to melt off the pounds!
  • lecoman
    lecoman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do about 18 miles on the treadmill a week. Great exercise and simple to do. Keep up the good work. Congrats on the 20 lbs.