My life is on the line .......

Options
Looking for friends and support to help me save my life .......and passing along in hopes that, if you are young, you can avoid what I have been through ......

Weight has always been a battle for me my entire life, although things got worse after I quit smoking at age 33. I am the poster child of the person who 'stress eats'. I was first diagnosed with high cholesterol and Type II diabetes in my late 40's. I recognized I was on a bad path, and tried my best to 'right' things. Medications kept my blood sugar and cholesterol within 'tolerable' ranges, but excess weight remained a problem. I dieted on and off, losing then gaining back weight more times than I care to count. I thought I was on the path to success a couple of years ago when I dumped 60 pounds - using My Fitness Pal as my guide. But, crap happened (family issues, job layoff, etc.) and my stress level again overtook me - and back came all the weight. I didn't worry, though, because my 'numbers' from the lab tests stayed within tolerance ranges. Then in mid-2014, I got the first inklings things were not right. I started getting short of breath and some chest discomfort. I was in denial for months. Finally in December I mentioned it to my physician. Long story short, in January I ended up with a Quadruple By-Pass. Now I have to find a way to 'stick with it', get the weight off, and get the numbers even 'below' the desirable ranges - if I want to live.

I have a wonderful son (my only child) who came along late in life - who will just be starting high school next year. I want to work long enough to make sure he gets through college with a minimum of debt. Long term, I want to live long enough to be able to ask my grandson to 'pull my finger'.

Hope this intro was not too much of a 'downer' ...... feel free to add me as a friend. I can certainly use support to make sure I 'stick with it' this time ......

Alex

Replies

• Luciano500
    Luciano500 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey Alex, good luck on your journey. Thanks for sharing your personal history, and it definitely gave me some renewed strength to get back on the wagon. Just try to stick with it the program, and reach out for support from your MPF friends, I'm here for you bud, let's do it!
  • pelauten
    pelauten Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    tram5401 wrote: »
    Looking for friends and support to help me save my life .......and passing along in hopes that, if you are young, you can avoid what I have been through ......

Weight has always been a battle for me my entire life, although things got worse after I quit smoking at age 33. I am the poster child of the person who 'stress eats'. I was first diagnosed with high cholesterol and Type II diabetes in my late 40's. I recognized I was on a bad path, and tried my best to 'right' things. Medications kept my blood sugar and cholesterol within 'tolerable' ranges, but excess weight remained a problem. I dieted on and off, losing then gaining back weight more times than I care to count. I thought I was on the path to success a couple of years ago when I dumped 60 pounds - using My Fitness Pal as my guide. But, crap happened (family issues, job layoff, etc.) and my stress level again overtook me - and back came all the weight. I didn't worry, though, because my 'numbers' from the lab tests stayed within tolerance ranges. Then in mid-2014, I got the first inklings things were not right. I started getting short of breath and some chest discomfort. I was in denial for months. Finally in December I mentioned it to my physician. Long story short, in January I ended up with a Quadruple By-Pass. Now I have to find a way to 'stick with it', get the weight off, and get the numbers even 'below' the desirable ranges - if I want to live.

I have a wonderful son (my only child) who came along late in life - who will just be starting high school next year. I want to work long enough to make sure he gets through college with a minimum of debt. Long term, I want to live long enough to be able to ask my grandson to 'pull my finger'.

Hope this intro was not too much of a 'downer' ...... feel free to add me as a friend. I can certainly use support to make sure I 'stick with it' this time ......

Alex

• JW_Reece
    JW_Reece Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for being so vulnerable and sharing your story so that others may learn. I'm starting right where you were when you started your own journey all those years ago. Fought weight all my life but recently was told its medically starting to effect me with early signs of diabetes. I just buried my mother/ best friend last October who died from all the complications of a long hard road with obesity. I made up my mind that day....as much as I admired and aspired to be half the human being she was....that was one area where I was not going to follow in her footsteps. I'm proud of you that you haven't given up and you are not going to let the disease beat you!! Thanks for being an inspiration to those of us just beginning our journey.

Jeffery
  • pelauten
    pelauten Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not a downer at all! I have been fit all my life and have hit a patch in life where I stopped working out. I too need to get back on track to get healthy. Mentally and physically. As a former long distance runner, my jaw dropped when my doc told me I was pre diabetic. I was no elite athlete believe me but that diagnosis made me realise I need to get serious.
    I need support to stick to it to. I seem to "start over" every day. You've got my support.