Craving Ribs! Help with counting please :)

Options
ovi212
ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
So I have been wanting ribs and finally I gave in and got some. I was avoiding them because I had no idea how to count them. But I got a package of pork side ribs or spare ribs and I am going to cook them plain then add on a measured amount of bbg sauce(I know the calories in that can add up) but what I was struggling with the most in this rib battle is how I would count them if I got them. There are so many different values out there. Does anyone know what is accurate? I thought weigh after cooked and then take away the bone weight? Or weigh with bone? or raw? I've found values of 1 oz cooked meat to be 70 cal 5.2 protein or 100g as 277cal 15 protein but I don't know if this is bone included or not? Help please I don't want anxiety about enjoy my dinner because I could be way underestimating cals and protein.

Replies

• ac7360
    ac7360 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you tried scanning the Barcode on the package?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    ovi212 wrote: »
    So I have been wanting ribs and finally I gave in and got some. I was avoiding them because I had no idea how to count them. But I got a package of pork side ribs or spare ribs and I am going to cook them plain then add on a measured amount of bbg sauce(I know the calories in that can add up) but what I was struggling with the most in this rib battle is how I would count them if I got them. There are so many different values out there. Does anyone know what is accurate? I thought weigh after cooked and then take away the bone weight? Or weigh with bone? or raw? I've found values of 1 oz cooked meat to be 70 cal 5.2 protein or 100g as 277cal 15 protein but I don't know if this is bone included or not? Help please I don't want anxiety about enjoy my dinner because I could be way underestimating cals and protein.

The package should have a label that tells you, and you should weigh them according to that label. That being said, if you've been craving ribs, you should just enjoy them this once and not worry about it. Pork ribs are high in calories and fat, and there's no way around that, unless you're going to restrict yourself to just one, and where's the fun in that when you're finally getting what you've been craving? You're not going to gain weight by having one indulgent meal.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    To be honest, when it comes to protein... it's hard to overdo it.

If it bumps up your caloric total for the day, it's not a big deal. It's more whatever sauce you decide to put ON the ribs that you need to worry about ;)

As for the weight, considering the ribs you buy at the store are labeled with a weight including the bones, I think it's safe to say most entries in the MFP database are going to include the bone.

Don't be afraid to live a little... the ribs won't affect your overall trend.
  • ovi212
    Options
    they're from the meat department in a grocery store so no label to read/scan (other than the weight but I have a scale). I just want to know how many calories they have so I can adjust my intake (snack after) to make sure I hit my goal of 2500 calories. I also try to have at least 100 g protein a day so want to make sure I'm hitting that. The package I got has barely any fat and bone. So would you think 100g cooked, including the bone, should be 277 cal? there are sooo many options for logging
  • ovi212
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was getting other groceries today and looked at the nutrition facts on frozen no name pork sides ribs with bbq sauce or honey garlic and it says 280/290 cal for 140 g edible portion and 18/16 g protein.....large difference from the mfp canadian nutrition value pork sides ribs with no sauce (100g, 277 cal, 15g protein)
  • ovi212
    Options
    So a 125g piece is about palm sized. 346 cal (277cal/100g)or 189cal(43cal/oz)....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's a major pain in the butt. The nutrition info is for meat only typically, so you can't really use the raw value because of the bones. I'd use the cooked MFP entry, personally... weigh it before eating, then weigh the bones, and use the difference.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I had ribs a week or two ago and they were worth every calorie.....it was at a restaurant so I went by their website and it was a lot lol. Worth it!
  • ovi212
    Options
    ok it was 125 g cooked (boiled) then 102 after baking with bone and 40g bone so 85g to 62 g meat ...the canadian nutrient profile says 334 cal for 100g lean and fat, simmered, roasted, ediple portion . So I will log 85g for 284 cal and 23 pro :) not sure it was worth the calories