Did anyone here lose weight on 1200cals and managed not to put the weight back on when maintaining?

Options

Replies

• paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Me! Lost 60+ lbs but lost the last 40 counting calories (1,200 for 4 months). Slowly added back my calories only tonfind that I didn't gai, but lost some. Currently maintaining on 1,750 even when sleeping the whole day. Gonna start working out and checking how many more calories I can eat hahaha
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Those of you who lost on 1,200 calories, did you gradually add back 100 per week until you stopped losing or did you jump right into maintainable? I lost on 1,200 and reached my goal weight last week (yay!). I added 100 per day last week, and found I had lost 1 1/2 pounds when I weighed in this morning.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think the main issue with people losing at 1200 is that for some reason their maintenance seems much lower... I'm 5'5" and almost 37, and my maintenance is 2200 (counting exercise), so when I see people saying that their maintenance is 1400, well, I find it very sad.

Although my guess is that a lot of people are underestimating how much they are actually eating...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Jubee13 wrote: »
    Those of you who lost on 1,200 calories, did you gradually add back 100 per week until you stopped losing or did you jump right into maintainable? I lost on 1,200 and reached my goal weight last week (yay!). I added 100 per day last week, and found I had lost 1 1/2 pounds when I weighed in this morning.

I went from 1200 cals (to lose 1lb) to 1480, (to lose half a pound) when I was 4 pounds from goal. Then I went to MFPs maintenance cals of 1600, then raised it 100 cals a week till I got to actual maintenance. MFPs maintenance is too low for me, it's actually around net 1900-2000 cals.
  • wackadoodle87
    wackadoodle87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    im on 1200 calorie and since end jan iv lost 15lbs while exercising at home and eating alot healthier,
  • wackadoodle87
    wackadoodle87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me
  • sgfoster110
    sgfoster110 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am on 1300 calories. I lost 40 lbs. I am maintaing at the same calories. My exercise varies.
  • hvacfat
    hvacfat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been on 1100-1200 calorie diet since February 9th i have lost 53 lbs to date (my weigh in day is Sundays) I have had no slip ups yet....Im sure they are to come. I have a physically demanding job and go to the gym....I believe once you are to the weight you want proper diet and exercise will keep you at the level of calories that will be "healthy". I suggest looking at this as a lifestyle change and not think once the weight is lost that going back to unhealthy habits are ok...... in my case my overweight is inherited. So i have to work harder than others to keep the weight off....Just be careful and remember if you hungry DONT DEPRIVE YOUR BODY OF FOOD!!!
  • mcjebus
    mcjebus Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No, you're starving your body! You don't lose weight in starvation mode! * pterodactyl screech *
    Yes I'm losing while eating 1200-ish. On the days I eat like 1500 I don't gain anything.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It is actually possible to lose weight by simply eating the maintenance calories for your desired weight (provided that you have more than a couple of pounds to lose). The weight loss may be slower but may be easier to manage in the long run as you develop positive habits. If you choose this method then you can expect to keep eating the same way into the future. Your eating habits must change for good if you want to maintain a weight loss. Best of luck in your journey!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    People say lots of things. By the time I hit my goal weight, MFP recommended I eat 1230. I did. I hit my goal and slowly upped my calories to the recommended amount for maintenance. That was 3 years ago. I'm still maintaining with no trouble. (I lost 41 pounds total.)
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I think the main issue with people losing at 1200 is that for some reason their maintenance seems much lower... I'm 5'5" and almost 37, and my maintenance is 2200 (counting exercise), so when I see people saying that their maintenance is 1400, well, I find it very sad.

Although my guess is that a lot of people are underestimating how much they are actually eating...

My maintenance is 1750 without exercise and am aiming for 2250 with exercise! I cant imagine maintaining at 1400, but then again, it depends on your height, weight and activity level. Some just have to move more to eat more, I guess :-) That and you might be right about some underestimating maintenance, since people would tend to freak when the scale moves a bit and think they already went over their maintenance level!
  • bekanswer
    bekanswer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Im still not done but I am at 1240 at the moment. Once I reach my goal and start maintaining I will be aiming to increase by 50 calories a week to get to 1600-1800 a day, with daily exercise. 1240 is okay for me because I am vegetarian and I don't feel hungry, but I would love to have some "breathing" space once I am comfortable with my weight.
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Do you all talk about net calories, like eg 1200 net calories to lose weight? Or are you talking about 1200 calories in total? How much did you exercise when you lost and how many calories did you eat back (50% or 100% or none)? And those who maintain how is this for you?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I always talk net. But you're right - that is a major source of confusion on the forums.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I lost 123 pounds eating between 1200 and 1300. I've been maintaining for a little over a year. I slowly upped my calories by 100 every week until I hit my maintanance calories which is around 1850.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    00mid wrote: »
    People are saying 1200cals is too low and when you start maintaining the weight will pile back on,is this true?

It depends on your stats. You can't use a blanket statement like that because what works for someone who is 200lbs is NOT the same as someone who is 150 and has only a few pounds to lose, or for someone old etc..

Asking a question like this to EVERYONE isn't accurate because 1200 is not ok for EVERYONE. Instead ask specifically about YOUR situation and you might get a more reasonable / accurate answer.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options

I went from 1200 cals (to lose 1lb) to 1480, (to lose half a pound) when I was 4 pounds from goal. Then I went to MFPs maintenance cals of 1600, then raised it 100 cals a week till I got to actual maintenance. MFPs maintenance is too low for me, it's actually around net 1900-2000 cals.

Similarly, I went from 1200 to 1450 to lose .5 lbs/week toward the end. Less similarly, I stopped losing right around my goal weight, and when I tried adding more calories into my diet, I started gaining again. So, my body has found its maintenance level. It's 1450. That pretty much sucks, btw :)

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »

Similarly, I went from 1200 to 1450 to lose .5 lbs/week toward the end. Less similarly, I stopped losing right around my goal weight, and when I tried adding more calories into my diet, I started gaining again. So, my body has found its maintenance level. It's 1450. That pretty much sucks, btw :)

did you account for glycogen etc in the 'weight' gain? how long did you raise your calories for?
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »

did you account for glycogen etc in the 'weight' gain? how long did you raise your calories for?

6 weeks of gradual but steady gains at 1600 cals/day was enough evidence for me. I've been maintaining at 1450 now for almost 2 years. I've more or less accepted my fate. (Sometimes resentfully. Stupid Girl Scout cookie season grumble grumble. 2 Samoas is not a serving ;) )