Running

Options
hi ime new to fitness and oh ace stopes smoking three years ago and want to start jogging but am worried about my chest it tightens right up wen I start and I gasping for air is it normal and will it get easyer Please advise

Replies

• Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    andrewevo wrote: »
    hi ime new to fitness and oh ace stopes smoking three years ago and want to start jogging but am worried about my chest it tightens right up wen I start and I gasping for air is it normal and will it get easyer Please advise

The advice is to stop smoking and start increasing running, start maybe with tredmill 3 times per week, then start running outside, running uphill or on sand will be pretty challenging when smoking so u will have to stop it,kickboxing will also help and swimming.
  • samivenbutterfly
    samivenbutterfly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Please listen to me carefully!! I am a nurse and these are RED FLAG symptoms! Please visit your physician and tell him the symptoms you are experiencing before you begin any further running exercise.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    just be carefull with the knees and bones and don't push yourself too much too soon
  • NumaPompi
    Options
    i (stupidly) starting running before quitting smoking and my chest always tighened up while running... started running again recently since i quit and it's not been as bad but i have had to start slowly... i'd say just slow down until you feel comfortable going faster...

also, congrats quitting the smokes..!
  • tonihunter945
    tonihunter945 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree! This is day 2 of walking the dog and I'm in my last qtr of RN program and I think I have a heel spur on my left heel and it's killing me. But heel Spurs can be caused by obesity and I'm obese. I need to lose weight because I want to practice what I preach