Can I lose weight eating 1,115 calories a day?

samiamorisseau
samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
hi I'm vegetarian and im losing weight by eating 1,115 cals is that bad? I just checked that I'm eating 209 grams of carbs. I heard that people who are losing weight supposed to eat 50-150 grams of carbs I exercise for 30 mins walking

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Depends on how big (height/weight) you currently are.

But most likely, it's not enough to fuel your body appropriately, and you could lose weight in a much more healthy, sustainable manner by eating a bit more.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    hi I'm vegetarian and im losing weight by eating 1,115 cals is that bad? I just checked that I'm eating 209 grams of carbs. I heard that people who are losing weight supposed to eat 50-150 grams of carbs I exercise for 30 mins walking

Eat more. 1150 is too low.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    That's virtually no fat or protein....I'd be a bit concerned about that...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited March 2015
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Yeah after your edit you added the rest of your OP - you definitely need to eat more fat and protein.

(directed to OP, not Mr Knight)
  • samiamorisseau
    SLLRunner wrote: »

But if I eat more my carbs will increase
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Are you under 5' tall? If so, that may be fine. If you are taller than 5'0, you probably need more calories. Put you stats into MFP and it will generate an appropriate daily calorie goal.
  • Mr_Knight

Can you cut some carbs and replace them with more fat and protein?
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member

The amount of carbs you eat has no effect on weightloss

This thread will help you

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Yup, this. Vegetarians often eat somewhat more carbs, and your carb numbers aren't a problem at all--IF you were eating more calories--but you need to get at least a minimum amount of protein and fat (MFP's numbers are okay to start with).

The bigger point is that you are 20 and only have 28 lbs to lose--why so low? You'd be better off eating more.
  • Mr_Knight
    isulo_kura wrote: »

The amount of carbs you eat has no effect on weightloss

That's not correct. Too high a proportion of carbs will result in more lean mass burnoff which will reduce BMR faster which will slow down weight loss, even for the same level of calories-in.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    What are your stats? Unless you're older and shorter, 1115 is most likely going to be too low to be sustainable for you. And definitely add more fats/protein to your diet. That's the amount of carbs I eat at 1800 a day.
  • samiamorisseau
    Are you under 5' tall? If so, that may be fine. If you are taller than 5'0, you probably need more calories. Put you stats into MFP and it will generate an appropriate daily calorie goal.

I'm a 5'6 and eating 1'115 cals but I get so carbphobic
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    eat more , eat a tonne of carbs and be happy

but seriously eat more that is a reallly freaking low number
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

You're too tall to be eating that few calories.

I'm a vegetarian too, and I keep my carbs more moderate, you can look in my diary to see what I eat to get some ideas.

I also eat around that calorie amount, but I'm shorter than you, I'm old, and I have hypothyroidism.

It's okay to eat carbs, but out of balance macros might not keep you feeling satiated as you progress. You don't need to worry about eating more carbs as you increase your calories to a reasonable level for your height unless you're not also getting enough fat and protein.

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member

I'm 5'6" and am losing weight on 1300 - 1400 calories easily and I exceed my carb limit set by MFP everyday. Raise your calories, add some protein and fat to your diet.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Sure you could. The question is, is it sustainable and healthy? I am vegetarian as well and I would say no.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member

You're question was 'is that bad?' and the answer is yes I'm afraid. You are not eating enough 'fuel' to support your basic functions (heart, lungs, skin, hair nails, hormone regulation, temperature regulation, gut motility, the list goes on and on). You're basic functions don't include any exercise you do above general pottering.

Whether you are vegetarian or not, whether you are 'carbphobic (!?!) or not, you need to eat more calories. you need to do this or you will start to loose the ability to function normally. If you are lucky you'll just get tired and have a headache but it could be worse.

Eating a very low number of calories may be a quick way to loose weight but it is not healthy or sensible and may lead to you getting sick.
  • ReignOerMe
    ReignOerMe Posts: 24 Member

If you're 5'6", you should be able to eat more than 1115 to lose weight. I'm the same age as you and 5'5" losing on 1480 net calories for reference. Also, if you are eating 209 grams of carbs, you are getting 75% of your calories from carbs. That doesn't leave a lot of room for fat and protein. The American dietary guidelines typically recommend 45-65% carbs for the average adult. Enter your info into myfitnesspal and the app will give you recommendations for how many calories, carbs, protein, and fat to consume. Since you only have 28 pounds to lose, I would recommend you use the 1 pound per week option.
  • samiamorisseau
    ReignOerMe wrote: »

If you're 5'6", you should be able to eat more than 1115 to lose weight. I'm the same age as you and 5'5" losing on 1480 net calories for reference. Also, if you are eating 209 grams of carbs, you are getting 75% of your calories from carbs. That doesn't leave a lot of room for fat and protein. The American dietary guidelines typically recommend 45-65% carbs for the average adult. Enter your info into myfitnesspal and the app will give you recommendations for how many calories, carbs, protein, and fat to consume. Since you only have 28 pounds to lose, I would recommend you use the 1 pound per week option.

Can I eat 1200 cals?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    You need to eat way more. 1200 isn't even appropriate for your height.

Reset your infor on MFP and select 1 lb a week and follow the goal it gives you. I bet it's more than 1200, that's for sure.