St. Louis, MO dude looking to shed 100 lbs.

Options
I couldn't believe when I was staring down at 280 pounds. Since my early twenties I've always been on the heavier side. It was something that I figured just came with age and my genetics. My dad was about my size when he was my age. My mom was heavy at one point, but has lost a lot of weight. I had exercised, but never controlled my diet, and when the exercise fell off the weight stuck on. I was not going to let myself at 5'7" have a 3 at the start of my weight. I have a son and I'll be damned if I'm going to die early from a heart attack and not be able to spend as much time as I can with him.

So I made up in my mind that I was going to correct my eating. I figured that I wasn't eating veggies at all, and that had to change. A friend pointed me to an hour and a half rant about sugar that at least made up my mind that soda in any form was out of the question (not saying diet soda puts on pounds, just playing a chemical game with professional chemists is probably a bad idea).

A buddy of mine uses this site to track his intake and his exercise and it has helped him a bunch in goal-setting and keeping track of how he eats. So I logged on, set up an account, and set up a goal of half a pound a week with no exercise. I could fit the exercise in later, I thought, I have to learn how to control my eating. Well, I'm 4 pounds in and I've got some pretty good eating habits set up and am hoping to ride out this marathon for a bit. Hello everyone. :D

Replies

• beckihadfield87
    Options
    Hey! welcome to MFP. Well done for taking the first step.

It might not always be easy but it will totally be worth it. If you need a MFP friend, I am always happy to get new ones, the support on here is fab as I have found out first hand.

Good luck!
  • lanline
    lanline Posts: 5
    Options
    I am in a similar boat. I started here about a month ago at 273 and now I'm at 261. I set a intake goal of 1600 calories and I am walking or biking 45+ minutes a day and I started strength training last week. Good luck,
  • omgitsgene
    omgitsgene Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Strength training is something I'd like to do more of, honestly. I miss lifting from 5ish years ago a lot. I've been walking on my breaks at work around the parking lot when weather allows.
  • shivers42
    shivers42 Posts: 20
    Options
    Wow -- good for you! I'm sure you'll have an interesting journey. Difficult but interesting. Please keep me posted... happy to be a friend if you want one.