How to add calories to strength training

Options
I am burning calories with weight training yet the workouts I enter there are no calories associated. How do you count them in like you can for cardio workouts?

Replies

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I don't use the food diary on here, so I will be terrible at answering your question. Other people will be more educated on how the site works. I tend to live by the rule that an hour of heavy lifting is about 200 cals burned. People believe that unlike cardio, lifting continues to keep your body burning at a higher calorie rate for the rest of the day, where as cardio essentially finishes burning after you stop. However, I might just be making all this up. ;)
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Add "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" to Cardiovascular to get estimated Calories Burned added to your Diary. Please note that the Calories burned for Cardiovascular exercises are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual. If desired, add individual strength training exercises, such as "Biceps Curl," to Strength Training to have a log of sets, reps, and weights as individual exercises.

Please see these articles in the list of articles on this topic in the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/455842-exercise-diary-and-exercise-database/articles

btl8652brnow.jpg
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    don't bother entering cals burned when doing lifting. if you really want to lose weight you will measure every calorie in but ignore the cals out other than intense cardio. Most of the estimations are grossly over anyway so you'll just be eating more than you should.