New to this protien shake thing - need help picking one!

Options
After really looking at my nutrition its been made obvious that I need to get more protein in my diet. I know, I know, chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, salmon, etc, etc. But sometimes I'm busy and really don't have time to prepare so I need a quick filler. I ordered a bag of Arbonne's protein shake in vanilla from a friend of mine who sells it. YUCK. It was awful, tasted like cake batter - biggest waste of money ever, I couldn't even down it. So I went into GNC (After reading a few boards I'm seeing this may have been a mistake) and was sold on their amp wheybolic 60. I bought the chocolate, I think it's pretty tasty and like that its only 100 cals for 20grams of protein. I only bought a bag of it so the cost didn't seem outrageous but I really don't know. I'm sort of an ingredient snob and prefer to buy something without GMO soy and crap in it - and definitely no aspartame or splenda. The guy and GNC was sort of a fast talker, he told me this stuff was non-gmo but it really doesn't say it on the packaging other than that its made with steevia. Other than the protien though it doesn't have much other nutritional value. Is this sort of standard? I do the insanity work out program with the occasional side of t25 and so of course I'm tempted to buy shakeology but again, SO pricey! But it seems to have a lot more nutritional aspects so maybe its worth it? Or is it pretty standard that they don't tend to have much else other than some protien in it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• zachdean21
    zachdean21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about powders with GMO soy and other things in it, but you can't go wrong with ON gold standard if you can afford to. If not My protein is reasonably priced and a good quality
  • charltown1986
    charltown1986 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New zealand whey protein. It's a Canadian company. It's cheap and it's the purest protien you can get. Comes in all sorts of flavors. Gives you 30 grams of protien per scoop. Drink one in the morning and one after you exercise. I've tried all kinds of protien and this is the best. Canadian protein.com I hope this helps you out.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MTS Whey and Cellucor.....I tried Cellucor and it tastes really good and I just ordered some MTS Whey yesterday and it should be coming today. I heard really good things about MTS Whey myself. Those are the ones I recommend if you want high-quality protein and you'll definitely get what you pay for.
  • slimstrauss
    slimstrauss Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    In UK
    Use solgar whey to go
    No additives or bad rubbish
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Designer Whey rates B+ on Fooducate. The bottled version tastes better than the powder. Prefer real clean foods to fakes and fillers, but its one of the better ones for quick protein, low cal and low car/sugar.
  • HeavyMetalGains
    HeavyMetalGains Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Isagenix online. They also use New Zealand grass fed dairy for their wey protein concentrate and offer a range of products Do some research, you can only benefit from knowledge. Congrats on paying attention to your nutrition, it is 80% of the fitness journey.
  • mrsoski
    mrsoski Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Tera's whey. Quite good. Short ingredient list. Available on Amazon.
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried Trader Joe's whey protein powder?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    see i cant even make a recommendation, because the idea of having a protien shake that tastes like cake batter is very appealing to me.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    see i cant even make a recommendation, because the idea of having a protien shake that tastes like cake batter is very appealing to me.

It sounds alright, I mean, if I'm making cake I love to lick the spoon, but it was very intense, and drinking a whole shake of cake batter...not so great
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Ditch the soy protein since soy is one of the world's most genetically modified crops, and soy mimics estrogen which is a problem for some... Your best bet is grass fed whey - most come from New Zealand. The one I use is probably the one mentioned above. I live in Canada, and the protein powder I use is made here. It may come in various names, but the manufacturer is Innotech. Mine is called NaturePro Australian protein plus. It uses stevia as the sweetener and does not taste unnatural at all. I think the grass fed whey is more expensive, but it is really worth it, since the cows are eating what they are meant to eat...grass, therefore their body composition and milk is lower in Omega 6 fatty acids, and has a higher Omega 3 ratio, meaning that it will aid in weight loss.

I make protein smoothies with yogourt, avocado, spinach, kale, berries of any kind, and protein powder. It keeps me satisfied all day. You don't notice the taste of the greens, and can only taste the berries. So, my strawberry shake might look green, but tastes like strawberry.

I also like to buy plain unsweetened Greek yogourt, and throw in a little vanilla protein powder into it, with some berries, and it's yummy.
  • mariagm143
    mariagm143 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been taking a product called Body by VI Shape. It has great taste #1 and lots of vitamins. I ad 2 scoops to Almond milk, 1 cup of frozen berries and thats my morning breakfast every day. They suggest another shake for dinner and you will lose weight.
    You can order by phone and delivery is in a few days. I highly recommed it. If interested I will give you more info.
  • 1st_BeStrong
    1st_BeStrong Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There are some great Greek Yogurts out there now. Sure are a fast, easy protein fix. If you freeze one, check & see how long it takes to thaw, but not get warm. Can be a good way to bring along. Be sure you try 1 first to be sure the particular brand doesn't change texture from freezing, before you toss $10 worth in that freezer! ;) Places like Trader Joes® carry a coconut milk yogurt w/live cultures. Very thin in consistency. You can open an drink it mostly & just use spoon for last in container.
    Good luck to you.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    And make sure you WEIGH your scoops! The correlation between scoop volume and nutritional label serving size is....well, let's just say they err on the side of having to buy more, sooner. :smile:
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If it's cheap and taste good bingo
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    In UK
    Use solgar whey to go
    No additives or bad rubbish

This. It works for me. Here in the US, it is sold at Wegman's and Vitamin shopee