Goal weights :(

XLMKX
XLMKX Posts: 86
edited September 27 in Motivation and Support
I just figured out a rough idea of all my goal weights and it seems impossible when I look at all the numbers.
I know it won't happen overnight but I feel deflated writing it all out
:(

Replies

• You should always set yourself reachable small goals that you know is easier to accomplish otherwise you will give up before you even start huni xxx
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    It may seem daunting at first, but the weight will start and keep coming off. You gotta stay positive. If you do have a bad day, don't give up, just do better the next day. This is a wonderful site, and you will make some wonderful friends and support group!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like!

Remi
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    what has worked for me is small obtainable goals: 5% of my weight goal to be achieved is much more realistic than setting higher ones. creating small goals like (this week i'll work out X number of times, etc.).

Wishing you the best of luck.
  • mok33
    mok33 Posts: 46 Member
    just imagine yourself in a year from now.... let's say 50 lbs lighter.... one pound per week, imagine if you had not started this! look forward, and the goals will get easier! ;-)
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    You should always set yourself reachable small goals that you know is easier to accomplish otherwise you will give up before you even start huni xxx
    This. Also, take measurements and think of other non-scale-related ways to measure your progress (maybe a certain number of jumping jacks within a minute or being able to walk--and then jog--a certain distance or even just tying your shoe or cutting toenails more comfortably!). It's nice to lose weight, but overall health is even better. Good luck and keep checking in here for support.
    -LP
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Yes, definitely small goals. You can do this! We are all reaching our goals with mini goals. Post often and I am looking forward to celebrating the victories with you!
  • kumarprabhat
    kumarprabhat Posts: 116
    Well...I look at it differently. Easy targets always demotivate me. It has to be challenging enough to make me push myself harder. it motivates....

I had set myself target of 1lb loss per week. It has been 2-3 months since, but I haven't lost much (say 5lb compared to 12-13 I should have) as per my scale. But I know I feel better, other tell I look better, my cloths tell I have lost inches, and my wife is envious of me.

Still, I want teh numbers to tell me that, and "lack of progress" still makes me worry and make me work harder everyday...

I hope and I know I will reach my target one day. I WILL NOT GIVE UP..
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    my first goal is 10lbs at the moment not getting anywhere so feels a lot but sticking to it
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Why don't you try what i've done very recently - I changed my ticker to '10lb to go' because it's less daunting seeing smaller numbers. Then you just move the goal weight down by another 10lb when you reach that first 10. I think I also found it overwhelming seeing '50lb to go'.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    I just figured out a rough idea of all my goal weights and it seems impossible when I look at all the numbers.

Trust me, it is not impossible! Make your plan and stick to it...

I cannot focus on small 10lb increments... but I do focus on making each day good. Get in some exercise and eat well... Sure not everyday is perfect, but the more you do it the easier it becomes.

Good luck!
  • DarkAngel864
    DarkAngel864 Posts: 229 Member
    I did mine in 30lb incriments. Not too small, yet not SO overwhelming. I nailed the first 30 and now I'm on a sloooow start to my second. You go this!!!!
  • Break it up :) I took mine 10 pounds at a time since the big number intimidated me at first. I also focused on the incentives I put in place for every 25lbs lost (like manicures, new volatile flip flops, etc)
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    I thought like that too.

Last year I was all about this lose weight quick deal. I drooled over how much weight I was supposed to lose within a short time frame. When I failed I gave up.

Fast forward to the same month one year later (april 2011) and I weighed 10lbs MORE that I did this time last year. Now that is depressing!!!

I have finally figured out that slow and steady is better. I have set a goal for about 10lbs a month. Some might still say that is a lofty goal, but so far I have been achieving it.. As long as I am moving the scale down, I don't care about the pace, because at least this time next year I won't be even heavier. If I pick something reasonable food wise, then I will stay on it, and if I stay on it, I will be healthier in the long term.

Essentially, I would rather take my time losing the weight and keep it off for life, than to play the lose gain game for the rest of my life.
  • XLMKX
    XLMKX Posts: 86
    Thanks everyone for all of your help :)
    I think I might adjust my goal weights but also make some non-scale ones.

Thank you :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member

First off, the second you lose a pound, change your ticker to show what you've lost, not what you have to go. :smile: Psychologically, looking at how far you have to go is overwhelming. It's standing in a valley, looking up at a mountain you have to climb. But if you're looking at how far you've come, it's a victory.

Make some goals that have nothing to do with the scale, and make them easy to attain at first. "I will exercise for 30 minutes 4 times this week." Do that, and it's a victory! For me, I wanted to be able to run a 5k, so I started the Couch to 5k (c25k.com) plan, and each week I was able to run further or longer, was (you guessed it) a victory!

I think of it like dog training. Positive reinforcement works. You reward good behavior - like praising the heck out of the dog when he potties outside or sits on command - but ignore bad behavior - like piddling in the house. Rubbing his nose in it doesn't work, and punishing yourself for any slip-ups doesn't work either.
This discussion has been closed.