my story of great success, than massive failure.

Options
This is my story of success, and failure.

6 years ago, when I left my son's mother, I weighed a hefty 309lbs. I always loved food, and over-ate constantly. At that time I decided that I had enough. It was time for a change. I struggled at first, but after about a month I was on track. After ten months of carefully tracking my calories and regular cardio I was able to lose 110lbs. The scale was under 200 for the first time since middle school. At that point, I had never felt so focused or energetic in my life. I don't have any pictures of me at 309, because I avoided cameras like the plague, the following pictures are from my peak weightloss period, weighing in at 199lbs

http://imgur.com/RUtvMW4

http://imgur.com/x7qojQ2

I maintained this weight after hitting a plateau for over a year, after time I didn't TRY to lose more and slowly slipped back into my old ways after getting comfortable in a relationship with a new woman. Well, here I am almost 5 years later, weighing myself last week, I was back up to 280lbs. I could not be more ashamed of myself. This is a pretty current picture: http://imgur.com/XtZ6W5p

Well after weighing in last Friday morning I decided once again that this has got to end. I have to get back into shape. Not only for myself, but for the sake of my children. I would like to live to see them graduate and get married. Since last Friday (March 20th) I went back to the diet plan that I was using when I lost all the weight before. It's already paying off! This morning I discovered a loss of 5.7lbs!

I forgot to mention, my initial success was GREATLY influenced by this app.

So...anyway, that's my story!

Replies

• snydhead
    snydhead Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting back on your program and not giving up! That's what it's all about. Keep it going!!!
  • gohilla
    gohilla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up! Lol
  • mausbop
    mausbop Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You did it once so you can do it twice!
    Learn from your mistakes and be proud of your success, even the small ones ;)
  • kimsko2010
    kimsko2010 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well, I have to say, you did it once, you can do it again. I have regained the weight I have lost many times. I heard something recently that I liked... failure is learning. You learn what you can't do and need to do to succeed.
    I can relate, when I was single, I went to the gym every night. Then I met my husband, and I was way more interested in being with him than exercising.
    You are back on track. Congratulations on the 5.7 lbs! You can do it. Would love to hear what type of changes you are making.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was in good shape before too then fell off the wagon (also b/c of a relationship) and I hate myself for letting myself get this way. you're not alone
  • fit_war
    fit_war Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Lets do it again!! !
  • gwlawrence2020
    gwlawrence2020 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear of your renewed commitment and recent success. Looking forward to hearing even more great news in the months ahead. Keep up the good work!
  • SashaMaja
    SashaMaja Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 5.7 loss. When I finally lost the 80 pounds that had snuck up on me throughout my adulthood I was adamant that it wouldn't happen to me; that I wouldn't gain it all back. But life happened and I'm 20 pounds in already. Your post inspires me because I have been on this site for two weeks now and still haven't got the emotional eating straightened out. I like that you just set your mind to it and that was that. That's awesome.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    gohilla wrote: »
    This is my story of success, and failure.

6 years ago, when I left my son's mother, I weighed a hefty 309lbs. I always loved food, and over-ate constantly. At that time I decided that I had enough. It was time for a change. I struggled at first, but after about a month I was on track. After ten months of carefully tracking my calories and regular cardio I was able to lose 110lbs. The scale was under 200 for the first time since middle school. At that point, I had never felt so focused or energetic in my life. I don't have any pictures of me at 309, because I avoided cameras like the plague, the following pictures are from my peak weightloss period, weighing in at 199lbs

http://imgur.com/RUtvMW4

http://imgur.com/x7qojQ2

I maintained this weight after hitting a plateau for over a year, after time I didn't TRY to lose more and slowly slipped back into my old ways after getting comfortable in a relationship with a new woman. Well, here I am almost 5 years later, weighing myself last week, I was back up to 280lbs. I could not be more ashamed of myself. This is a pretty current picture: http://imgur.com/XtZ6W5p

Well after weighing in last Friday morning I decided once again that this has got to end. I have to get back into shape. Not only for myself, but for the sake of my children. I would like to live to see them graduate and get married. Since last Friday (March 20th) I went back to the diet plan that I was using when I lost all the weight before. It's already paying off! This morning I discovered a loss of 5.7lbs!

I forgot to mention, my initial success was GREATLY influenced by this app.

So...anyway, that's my story!

Thanks so much for sharing.

You reinforce in my mind the importance of not heading down the “slippery slope”. People ask why I still log and weigh etc. – having reached my goal. I explain that I never want to regain and like AA figure it is (and will always be) …one day at a time.

I know exactly what you are saying.

Like you, I have few photos of me at 405. I’d destroy any photos taken – if given the chance. Some do exist, but mainly because they are photos other people took and I was in the shot.

MFP was crucial to my success.

Congrats on your loss and again for sharing.

This is a link to my story…I have bookmarked your story as a reference should I start down the wrong path. I don’t see that happening…but as you know…the years pass quickly.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10080664/lost-191-lbs-photos-success-after-999-failures/p1
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Did same including the weight first came after breaking it off with my sons dad. In 07/08 I lost 75. Kept it off for a few years. Then gained 30 stayed there for awhile. Then I finally over the last 12 months I gained more so here I am back up 55 out of the 75 . Lbs. For me it was party gettung married and being a little too happy lolk5eu7mh4lvwq.jpg at goal

Now 5yz4445eqyhw.jpg

But for both of we did it once we can again. I started back last week and am down 4 lbs so it is a start.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    gohilla wrote: »
    I refuse to give up! Lol

This sounds like me. I'm not giving up.
    I've lost 175 pounds and I'm not letting the last 30 pounds beat me.

Good luck to you.
  • gohilla
    gohilla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words and added motivation everyone! Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like! We can motivate each other!
  • NicoleMartinelli8
    NicoleMartinelli8 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That's a amazing story. Good luck on your journey.
  • heather27565
    Options
    Awesome story! I am bigger now than I have ever been. Something personal recently gave me a very hard reality check and I decided it's time to do something about it. I've been dieting and exercising since Feb 23rd and I've lost 14.6 pounds. I am so excited about my new lifestyle and the new me that I will soon see in the mirror. Congrats on your victories and good luck.