Help with Potassium??

Options
Before you say bananas: I HATE bananas. They are gross lol. If you all have any suggestions for other high potassium foods, please let me know. Thank you!

Replies

• meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    spinach....and all kinds of other things. just google "high potassium foods" and you'll get a whole wackload of options
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    spinach, potato skins

hubby has to take a potassium supplement
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You have to make sure you log things with the USDA entries (look for the entries without the asterisk), because many of them lack the potassium information. I just started monitoring potassium and a ridiculous number of foods have it. Potatoes are one.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    White potatoes and orange juice (Trop 50 to save calories) are my go to's. Carrots are another big one as well.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    spinach, potato skins

hubby has to take a potassium supplement

Agreed if you do eat potatoes always keep the skins. I usually just chopped and baked em or mashed them together with some almond milk until I like the texture.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Maybe a supplement
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Kiwifruit, Broccoli, any potato, sweet potato
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Spinach, coffee (this might be really bad, but I get at least half of my potassium RDA through coffee), potatoes, sweet potatoes... Most foods have potassium in them -the big reason why potassium is low in our diaries is because the FDA does not yet require food labels to list potassium.
  • saruuhm
    saruuhm Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's really bad to take potassium supplements because too much potassium (obviously a big amount) can be deadly.
    I struggle reaching my pottasium goal to but lately I've been drinking those v8 low sodium veggie shots and they have quite a bit of pottasium!
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Question~ did you show a potassium deficit in your blood work, or are you just seeking to hit your macro? I ask because when I went for my doctor appointment this week including my blood work, I told him I was a little worried because my food diary showed I was only getting around 1/3 of what I should for potassium (he's aware I've been dieting since January) ...... However, all my blood work returned spot on so unless you are having potassium related health issues confirmed by a blood test I probably wouldn't worry too much about hitting that one in your diary. And you are right that you don't want to use a potassium supplement unless it is prescribed and monitored by your physician :)
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Try low salt or no salt. Low salt is 1/2 potassium 1/2 sodium, where as no salt is all potassium. Just replace some of the salt in your cooking with that.
    No Salt contains about 650mg of potassium per 1/4tsp.

I make an electrolyte drink. 1L water, 1/2 tsp low salt, and some lemon juice.
  • lionesslindsey
    lionesslindsey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the advice! I had no idea it wasn't regulated/shown in some of the foods I've eaten. I'm probably getting more than it says, but I'll keep the spinach and carrots in mind! Lately my go-to snack at night is carrots with chipotle ranch dressing! Yum. :)
    -
    But side note, I don't understand why they say we should get 0 poly and monounsaturated fats? I know those are good. I'm working on gaining weight so idk why it would be a bad thing. .-.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yeah dont take a K supplement unless your doc tell you to! *MOST* people get enough in their diet (my husband is one of the few whose body simply doesnt absorb it terribly well ...or whatever... so needs the supplement)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Before you say bananas: I HATE bananas. They are gross lol. If you all have any suggestions for other high potassium foods, please let me know. Thank you!

My favorite high potassium foods are pomegranates and cornish hens. Obviously one is currently out of season and the other is too expensive to eat on a regular basis. When my potassium was low my doctor suggested using a salt substitute which is potassium chloride. She told me not to worry about my sodium because I would probably still get plenty just in the regular foods, just use the substitute when I wanted to sprinkle salt on something. My potassium number was back up in the blood work she did 3 months later.

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Avacado, dried apricots(unsulphered), plain yogurt, nuts, fortified cereals, salmon, chicken, beef, papaya, all melons,mushrooms, cocoa powder, beer,oranges, apple cider vinegar.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Coconut water, I use vita coco
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options

-
    But side note, I don't understand why they say we should get 0 poly and monounsaturated fats? I know those are good. I'm working on gaining weight so idk why it would be a bad thing. .-.[/quote]

I just learned this! Went to the doctor for my blood work this week LOL. He gave me this link:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fat/art-20045550?pg=2

Essentially, you want between your fats to be 20~35% of your total calories. Of that, no more than 10% (7% to lower heart disease risk) should be saturated fats with the balance spread between monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. There are no recommendations for any skew between mono or poly. Avoid all trans fats.

I'm such a dork..... I've been focusing on hitting the saturated 'goal' and trying to keep the others close to "0"! Thank goodness my cholesterol test came back good, but my HDL wasn't as high as it was, and my LDL had gone up a little. I had to rework my whole thought process on choosing foods, but I've got my next 2 days planned out to hit bang on :D Ya learn something new every day!
  • UncreativeMe123
    UncreativeMe123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I always drink low sodium V8, and add Black strap molasses to my morning oatmeal, both have a ton of potassium :smiley:
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    -
    But side note, I don't understand why they say we should get 0 poly and monounsaturated fats? I know those are good. I'm working on gaining weight so idk why it would be a bad thing. .-.

I just learned this! Went to the doctor for my blood work this week LOL. He gave me this link:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fat/art-20045550?pg=2

Essentially, you want between your fats to be 20~35% of your total calories. Of that, no more than 10% (7% to lower heart disease risk) should be saturated fats with the balance spread between monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. There are no recommendations for any skew between mono or poly. Avoid all trans fats.

I'm such a dork..... I've been focusing on hitting the saturated 'goal' and trying to keep the others close to "0"! Thank goodness my cholesterol test came back good, but my HDL wasn't as high as it was, and my LDL had gone up a little. I had to rework my whole thought process on choosing foods, but I've got my next 2 days planned out to hit bang on :D Ya learn something new every day! [/quote]

LOL your not a dork
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I know this is confusing, but they have 0 just because there are no particular amounts set for those--basically it means don't worry about it, beyond the total fat number (which is actually pretty flexible although MFP has a default).