Eating disorders/ EDNO's

Options
I'm a recovering bulimic trying to lose weight the healthy way. Just wondering if there's anyone else in the same boat? Thanks! :)

Replies

• slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey baby that's me too! After I completed my therapy I put on about 20-30 lbs. My therapist said it would happen and my body would finally find an equilibrium. But this is ridiculous.

I was doing things healthy for a few weeks, but on Monday my boyfriend and I broke up, and i didnt handle the stress well. I hadn't eaten a real meal again until this evening. I'm pretty upset I did that, so I'm putting myself back on track, for healthy intake and also for healthy restriction.

Add me as your friend if you like. I could use the support of someone who understands the struggle.
  • ctny1228
    ctny1228 Posts: 1
    Options
    Im a recovering bulimic. I have purged in almost 5 years & trust me there me times I've wanted to. You just have to remember you're beautiful no matter what & you need & should want to be healthy for those that love you. I started doing all those crazy races like tough mudder which really helped keeping my motivation up on eating right & working out. It really helped because I got my friends into it & they've been the biggest support team, even if they don't realize.
  • longkelsey0216
    longkelsey0216 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Same here girl. I'm recovering but I've been purging since I was a Sophomore in HS. That was 5 years ago!!! I did fully stop purging once I got preggo. Guess that was enough for me to stop for a bit. Today, I almost purged for the first time since my son was born 7 months ago. It's really difficult but we're gonna make it. The struggle will never go away but being healthy is going to feel SO much better than sick, weak, and tired. Not to mention so much less heartburn and bad breath ;) Sent a request. Add me if you want some support. I've got your back. :)
  • jodi180
    jodi180 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I'm so daft lol. Slcostel...I think I sent you a friend request? I'm not positive though haha. I'm still new to this site! Honestly I've put on 50lbs since recovery and yes, I agree it is very uncomfortable. I absolutely 100% want to be healthy, but I also want to be confident and not wanting to hide all the time!! I'm very sorry to hear about you and your boyfriend :( but good for you for getting back on track. Stay strong!!

Ctny, I've been thinking about doing tough mudder!

Kelsey, I know, it's crazy how fast the years go by. I never would have thought it would be still prevelant in my life a decade later. And YES, being healthy is 100000 times worth it. It's great you stayed strong for your baby. I added you back!
  • Sassy_xo
    Sassy_xo Posts: 44
    Options
    I struggled with severe restrictive anorexia for about 8 years, and after years and years of treatment am finally recovered. After starting birth control I've gained some weight and am not happy with it. I'm trying to lose the weight, but in a healthy and not overly restrictive way this time. I'd love to be friends with ya'll, especially since not many people understand!
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I struggled with BED for quite a while without realizing it, and once I saw what was happening, I still didn't try to stop. Since using MFP I haven't binged once, which is more because I don't like to see the calories in the red. I'm here for moral support if you need, recovery is hard and doing it healthily is even harder--but it is doable and worth it.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I struggled from bulimia too for a few years, and I know what an emotional wreck it can make you. At first I was restricting what I ate until I was paranoid about eating and nearly underweight, but that blew up in my face and I started to binge on anything and everything I could get my hands on, which led to a horrible relationship with food and bulimia. It was hell trying to put an end to it, but I feel like I have a MUCH healthier relationship with food now :) I know how much of a huge struggle it is!!!! Remember that you're not alone and this forum can be good for motivation and support.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I struggled with life threatening anorexia for 10 years, spent a lot of time in treatment centers and finally got weight restored and healthy. I now struggle with trying to find balance. I often find myself being too restrictive and then bingeing to compensate when my body can take it anymore. I'm trying to lose some weight and tone up the healthy way! Would love support from y'all! Please feel free to add me!
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with binge eating since I was probably six or seven. I've severely culled the binges in the past year. I've only had one or two bad episodes. It friggin sucks, but my health and happiness are worth way more than that temporary high from binging.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to recover from an ED as well. Currently trying to maintain but feel free to add me!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Recovering from EDNOS. Had it for 17 years.
  • katiewong2013
    Options
    i am recovering from bulimia. struggle to find balance between restrictive dieting and healthy life style. currently binge on average one or two days per week. better than before. but still everytime i get frustrated, overwhelmed, i resort to food rather than facing the problem.. i really enjoy bodybuilding. frustrated that i can stick to my diet.
  • beccam83
    beccam83 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ahh I'm both glad there are others like me but also so sad it seems to be so prevalent. When you've had an eating disorder you start to notice the behaviour in other people and it's so sad to see. Sometimes people write on the forums here about something or other and I wonder if it's actually disordered eating or just my mind wired to it?!

I put on about 40lbs after recovery (was anorexic but it then became bulimia once I started putting on weight on in recovery... stupid, I know) and am 20lbs over a healthy weight for me (130lbs).

Anyway, please add me! It's so hard to find that balance. Would be nice to have some friends who know what it's like. xx